New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjustable sights on carry gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think about adjustable sights on a private citizen carry gun?

Thinking about switching out to a Dan Wesson Silverback.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, no what ever you want.

I have carried a side arm professionally for over 40 years. I carry a handgun everyday for most of my waking hours.

Some with adjustable sights some with out I noticed no difference.

All revolvers I own except one have adjustable sights. I never carry that one.

I like adjustable sights on revolvers because I tend to shoot a larger variety of bullets in them compared to semi autos.

All my semi autos have fixed sights except two.

I have had to change sights on semi autos before to get them to shoot to point of aim.

I would stay away from oversized target type adjustable because they tend to snag on stuff.

Other then that warning I see no difference.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not just any adjustable sights. Dawson Precision are probably the most respected.
I have witnessed the problem of a “close” zero with fixed sights on walk back drills.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Whatever you want. I have carried duty weapons that were fixed and some that were adjustable.

Much more important that you be hitting point of aim at your desired distance than whether the rear sight is fixed or adjustable.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys I think I will switch over. I appreciate the information.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a S+W 2nd model HE in .45 LC that has hash marks from the lend/lease program from War 2. It has fixed sights + is incredably accurate + of course won't snag on anything but not really a CCW w/ a 6"bbl.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see no reason for adjustable sights on a carry gun, its for short range and the military sights on a 45 or 35 S&W are accurate up to 25 yards and more..and military sights, just like target sights should be "sighted in" at 25 yds. Many have overlooked this I noticed.

I always use military sights and we had to qualify from 7 to 60 yards, We all passed muster with Chief specials and 4" revolvers and autos of all kinds...DEA and Customs used any gun they could qualify with. I cut the hammer off my S%Ws and mostly shot them double action.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41759 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if some guy had your daughter using her as a shield and only a portion of his head was visible for your shot - would you want to have your gun to have its sights adjusted for you

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be a bad scenario but we always get back to the same issue;knowing your personal firearm! Be familiar with what you have.As the old saying goes."Beware of a man that only owns one gun;he probably knows how to use it."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be fine, but I'd make sure the rear sight is configured so you can rack the slide with it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you guys think about adjustable sights on a private citizen carry gun?

We Brits preferred what were known as "hammer adjustable sights" where adjustable sights were fitted to handguns. Yet S & W's current King adjustable rearsight is also good. That stays put too. If ribust adjustable are OK as long as you KNOW nobody else has got at them with a screwdriver and altered the setting that you've arrived at.

So like on the Colt 1911 you adjusted the windage by using a hammer to knock the rearsight to the left of the right and the job was done. The thing stays put! If you wanted to adjust elevation you either unscrewed and replaced the foresight or pulled it out with pliers and hammered a different height foresight into then vacated slot.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I see no reason for adjustable sights on a carry gun, its for short range and the military sights on a 45 or 35 S&W are accurate up to 25 yards and more..

I always use military sights and we had to qualify from 7 to 60 yards, We all passed muster with Chief specials and 4" revolvers and autos of all kinds...DEA and Customs used any gun they could qualify with. I cut the hammer off my S%Ws and mostly shot them double action.

we were qualifying in the 70s and lots of guys were bitching and complaining about having to shoot for score at 25 yards. instructor/range master finally got tired of it and told me to give him my back up chiefs special from my ankle holster and proceeded to put all five rds fast on a hand drawn siloughte (sp) target and gave it back to me. shut em up in a hurry. then i did it too, but slowly, and won a trophy of some sort. i never bothered to pick up. the suits were carrying 2" smiths and det specials and showing up with combat master pieces to qualify. he put a stop to that too.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We qualified on the standard PPC that was out to 50 yards.

Took top gun for the academy I was in back then with a perfect 300/300 score.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in 72 we were handed a beer by the sgt depending if u worked the upper or lower valley to calm ur nerves before you qualified. our chief deputy was chewed out by the sheriff because he and a buddy would shoot cigarettes out of each others mouths.the sheriff only acted mad because it got leaked to the press. and squashed. i could name names and tell even worse stuff but there needs to be some funerals first. i'm sure ATKINSON knows exactly what i'm talking about. and it wasn't sheriff Bob Bailey. he was a good guy.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yea the good old days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was the Capt of Detictives that was doing the shooting or the one that got his lip shot off!!, cause the shooter missed the cirgerette! not Bob Baily who was the sheriff, Bob really had a come to jesus meeting with all involved..nobody was sober at that party..Thats been a long time ago..It was about the funniest thing I can remember just to see the brass screw up like that, and walk around talking funny for 6 months! nobody likes the brass!! rotflmo

El Paso was a rough place in those days and may even worse today, lots of good stories came out of that town and the Texas border in general.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41759 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea, curly boone swore he knew nothing about it and he was the involved in it from the beginning. least he told me he was. said it was a regular thing when the "untouchables" got together out there in the lower valley. he was laughing so hard he could hardly talk.and he only cracked a smile about twice a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jOhn,
Your brought back some fond memories and a bucket of screw ups..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tip a the iceberg. i heard stated many times "won't be discussed till after the funerals"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have carried a sidearm every day since 1970 when I entered law enforcement, sometimes two. If the gun is a target gun then adjustable sights are a plus but if sighted in with the proper ammo a fixed sight is ok. I prefer fixed sights mostly due to Murphy Law which I have seen in “ action “ many times x if something can go wrong at a critical time it will. I too Have hammers bobbed from revolvers for personal protection after haven’t one hang up on my clothing in a confrontation with a man trying to cave my head in with a tire tool. If the firearm is for personal protection then my opinion I’d snag free every time. If one doesn’t learn from lessons firsthandedly,one is foolish. In recent years I have come to like CT Lazer grips on revolvers, they ar compact and offer a shooter a quicker target acquisition particularly when off balance or moving, which if some is trying to kill you you better be doing.these sights can be adjusted for different loads so if you have a handgun with fixed sights it is like having very good adjustable sights as well. For certain target matches, they may be banned but on that it depends on the event. Here is my very best advice should the gun be for personal protection ; Whatever gun you choose, practice regularly, repeatedly and seriously because you WLL end up fighting like you trained. There is zero replacement for time on the trigger and a course on tactics is also a very good idea. Tactics and training = survival. Good luck with whatever you choose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late to the party.

I'm not a LEO, but have carried daily since circa 1990.

My thoughts.

As a private citizen it is not my duty to "keep the peace"

It is my understanding that I am to discharge my weapon only as "a last resort to stop"

If most confrontations take place within a space of 6', You are going to hope to pull and shoot before you get stabbed or decked and if down be able to employ your weapon. In either case, one is not going to have time to line up sights before.

As stated previously

Murphys'Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will".

O'Leary's Law, "Murphy was an optimist"

I carry in a retention holster that has just enough tension that my weapon does not fall out if I bend over, but not so tight as I get hung up in the draw. I do not carry in a pants pocket, jacket pocket or on my ankle that might slow down deployment.

If you need adjustable sights on a daily carry to shoot at someone fleeing 25 yds away, well good luck.

Recently switched from the G43 to the Sig P365.

Gives me 13 in the gun and 10 more in the spare mag that I always carry also.

My youngest son sez' that if you see an old man walking around in public with the tail of his "collared" shirt outside his pants, you can pretty much figure he is carrying.

JMHO,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My youngest son sez' that if you see an old man walking around in public with the tail of his "collared" shirt outside his pants, you can pretty much figure he is carrying

What they know and what they think they know.

Does not always add up

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you need adjustable sights on a daily carry to shoot at someone fleeing 25 yds away, well good luck.

who says they well be fleeing.

https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/...nge-peach-house.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that. I have over the years seen elderly couples taking an evening walk + said to myself,"I will give you even odds that that old gent has a .38 in his leisure suit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

who says they well be fleeing.

https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/...nge-peach-house.html

Not trying to be obtuse, but could you amplify your question/statement above so that I could get a better understanding of your thought process in that regard.

Thanx,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Criminals don't always run away.

If you read the case cited you would realize there are times one needs to me able to make longer shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Criminals don't always run away.

If you read the case cited you would realize there are times one needs to me able to make longer shots.
And if one is running away and you do shoot him/her, you are most likely to be in deep doo-doo with the law.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly that is true.Lets not get into that.Perhaps we need a forum of B.S. lawyers.We know that there are some good ones out there.but the bad apples in the barrel are tainting the good ones in the public opinion./an uphill battle I agree but it begins with the 1st step.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,
Its easy to create situations wherein you can make valif points, but just as easy to come back with an opposite view that is as good..

My retort to your post would be a military sighted pistol such as the S&W M&P or 45 auto with factory sights is, fixed sights never change POI, adjustable sights can change, folks will mess with them unbeknown to the owner etc, etc...there fore I like fixed sights on a pistol for carry and self defence, and target sights for targets and game shooting..

In your scenario, is a bitch to call..and a situation wherein I would probably just let it play out until I had no choice and I suggest no one take the shot when your daughter and the bad guy or head to head, bone fragments at that range are deadly...

The other thing is I never carried a holster, prefering the Mexican carry of a std. 45,right side, butt forward, worked for me for many years. most US Customs and DEA Agents, other than the rookies carrid that way on the Texas Border, and for good reason..and target sights and short barrels don't work for that carry..so most would have mil. sights under this scenario.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Additionally non adjustable sights MUST be sighted in at a given distance, most factory guns today come pretty close and can be hammered or filed to zero..if not that's one to dump..They are so close that I never had any problem sighting them in, just took awhile as you have to go slow..Done properly they are every bit as accurate as target sights at any distance, and the sight picture is the same. What I see here is some think because its referred to as a target sight is must be more accurate, and that is not the case with pistols..The only advantage of a target sight is one can shoot different loads in it and resight them, but I never knew anyone that changed a target sight once sighted in at 25 yards, common for both fixed and target...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 S+W 2nd model Hand ejectors w/ fixed sights that are right on the mark on the spot at 25 yds.They had the technologie to do it right back then so they have it now.I hate to sound like an old fart spouting that "they made them better in my day "line of reasoning,but it is quite true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They did make them better in the day, the finish was better the triggers were better, the blue was better, all in all they were hand finished and checked before they left the factory, most of us know that...If you don't believe it look at the prices the old guns bring, collector or LEO...even the cartel guys know that.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you are right on the money. I am gonna get off on a short tangent that is related + unrelated on this subject. As most of you know, I am in the sheet metal business + a big part is doing historical replications. So I have mucho books of metalworking from the last 2 centuries. It's amazing what those folks could do with their (limited knowledge). I laugh because many of the projects given to helpers to perform involved a basic in Trig. They were much smarter than we are. A good case in point is that I could always do my computations in my head until I started relying on a calculator; now my quick math application is diminished.Now back to the subject at hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
They did make them better in the day, the finish was better the triggers were better, the blue was better, all in all they were hand finished and checked before they left the factory, most of us know that...If you don't believe it look at the prices the old guns bring, collector or LEO...even the cartel guys know that.

there is no question this is not true. putting an old one and a new one side by side proves it.