THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed Carry Nationwide - Is it possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With Trump's election and a Republican House and Senate, wouldn't it be cool if a nationwide concealed carry became the default for legal gunowners?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it has had enough votes to pass both chambers for years. The powers to be were holding it up.

There is a very good change of it passing.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do we really want a federal law for CCW? Why not a federal law for drivers licenses? Perhaps state law is more manageable if reciprocity is acknowledged. I'm not sure I want any more federal laws affecting me.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We do not need a federal law for concealed carry. What we need is federally mandated reciprocity of concealed carry licenses issued by states in the same way drivers licenses of any state are recognized by every other state. Just like requirements to receive a drivers license vary from state to state each state could still have its own concealed carry licensing criteria. Concealed carry licenses would be controlled and issued by the state you live in but every state would recognize it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I am retired law enforcement I can carry nationwide under HR218. I take a yearly 8 hour renewal course and that's it.

It's a great privilege to have fellas and I hope that you (we) all can get it done.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of thoughts-

seems I recall that

the "constitution is the law of the land"

any "laws repugnant to the constitution are null and void and ought not be obeyed"

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

LEOSA is, in my opinion, a failure of the "equal protection under the law" clause.

That said, I carry everywhere my travels take me. I also avoid states and federal jurisdictions where my rights under the constitution are infringed, nor will I spend money therein. One exception I make is my local Army installation. I secure my sidearm prior to the security gate according to the FOPA guidelines ( weapon cleared, locked in a hard case, ammunition in a separate container not in the direct proximity to the occupants), and use the facilities I have earned, depart and re-arm just outside the gate.

Anyway, we will see what shakes out. I am not optimistic about the relaxing of these prohibitions against free exercise of this particular right. We still live in a statist condition.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP, I hear you and what you are saying about LEOSA, but I did take advantage of the bill.

I don't know how you intended your comment was intended to be taken but please don't hate me/us for taking advantage of it.

FWIW: I hope that Nationwide Carry becomes legal for EVERYONE, not just Law Enforcement.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard;

No hatred of LEOs from me. I just see not much of a difference between a retired LEO and most anyone else; nor that of an active LEO for that matter.

Citizens are protected by the constitution and the natural right to life etc, LEOs are authorized by their constituency and law to carry arms; big difference to me.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
Leopard;

No hatred of LEOs from me. I just see not much of a difference between a retired LEO and most anyone else; nor that of an active LEO for that matter.

Citizens are protected by the constitution and the natural right to life etc, LEOs are authorized by their constituency and law to carry arms; big difference to me.

I'm happy to hear that and I totally agree with you. I don't think that I have any gun right over ANY other American, and I sincerely hope that national carry becomes available.

We are ALL AMERICANS!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a states issue. the feds have nothing to do with it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:

Dave

Until they violates ones constitutional rights.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That is true;Federal overides state in most circumstances. We will see if our new potus will fulfill that promise on nationwide compliance.
I don't travel out of state but I still think it is a good idea for all.Preaching to the choir here I suppose.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Dave

From Heller on down it is pretty clear legal precedent and law that states can regulate firearms. Its a nice fantasy to assume second amendment rights are exactly the same as first amendment - they are not.

Gun rights are highly regulated and geographic in nature. Its best to leave it at state level.

What would make sense is all states that allow it and offer reciprocity offer a standard law. I dont carry into other states cause I have little time to make sure I am meeting all legal rules in that state.

I drove from Orlando to New Orleans last week - went thru four states - had no idea what the rights and obligations were in AL, MS and LA so I just did not carry once I left Florida.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
You should have checked; you were good to go...
http://www.usacarry.com/concea...eciprocity_maps.html

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dave
Yes and no.
Yes states do have control over within state licensing, travel, and commerce issues.

The federal government does however have overriding control with regard to interstate travel and commerce issues.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Constitution is the law of the land, full faith and credit, not specified-left to the states or the people. Firearms are specified.

Federal issue.

I do not need a speech permit, nor a worship permit. Both are enumerated rights. The 2A clearly restricts the fedgov, and in my opinion, clearly the states as well- as do all enumerated rights.

Either it is a right or just a privilege....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
Constitution is the law of the land, full faith and credit, not specified-left to the states or the people. Firearms are specified.
Federal issue.
I do not need a speech permit, nor a worship permit. Both are enumerated rights. The 2A clearly restricts the fedgov, and in my opinion, clearly the states as well- as do all enumerated rights.
Either it is a right or just a privilege....

Yup. If we review all the communications of our forefathers when this issue was being debated (newspapers, speeches, essays, etc...) including the constitutional drafts presented by the Colonies at the Constitutional Convention, it's revealed there is NO DOUBT that keep and bear arms means own and carry. Period.

That said, our own Nation has its share of corruption and incompetence. The extremists have too much control for this God given Right to be exercised.

Bet I've made some leftists lose their temper.... Smiler

Right or wrong, here we are. My thoughts and worth what it cost.

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It says will not be infringed. Felons for example aren't allowed to own. Certainly not advocating for felon to own, but wouldn't that be an infringement requiring an amendment to deny them ownership? It was mentioned states control drivers license. Seeing how autos were not invented when the constitution was written, their control was not mentioned.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be weird if we had to be licensed in each state to talk? Isn't gun carry permits about the same thing?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Since I am retired law enforcement I can carry nationwide under HR218. I take a yearly 8 hour renewal course and that's it.

It's a great privilege to have fellas and I hope that you (we) all can get it done.

Your open mind and sense of fairness are a credit to yourself.
You would be surprised how many comments I have seen online from alumni of your former Dept. who think it is OK for special exceptions to be given to groups of people who have good lobbying.
IT is OK with them not to have National Recpirocity just as long as it does not apply to them.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Dave

With an attitude like that, you are more qualifed for a Governor's position than most guys who have the job that I see.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think Im in favor of a Federal Concealed Carry regulation.
What I'm in great favor of is a Federal Mandate of Reciprocity. States
must recognize the CCW of other states just like a drivers license.

If same sex marriage carries federal reciprocity and is not constitutionally protected, how much
more should firearm rights be given reciprocity.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
On that same token,we in Texas have to insure every vehicle we own (even though you can only drive 1 at a time).I n Arizona they insure the driver,not the vehicle. Makes sense but loses a LARGE bit of $$$ for the insurance lobbyists.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:

Your open mind and sense of fairness are a credit to yourself.
You would be surprised how many comments I have seen online from alumni of your former Dept. who think it is OK for special exceptions to be given to groups of people who have good lobbying.
IT is OK with them not to have National Recpirocity just as long as it does not apply to them.

I am an ex-cop and an ex-fed agent. I decided to return to the military and ultimatly retire, so I left the police department I worked for. I then left being a federal agent when one of the state troopers I was working on a case with was murdered. Just do OSHA safety stuff now.

At one time I probably had a chip on my shoulder about LEOs being better than everyone else, or Veterans or Christians or whatever. The bottom line is that anyone can be a dickhead, and anyone can be a hell of a nice guy.

Everyone who is legally able to, should be able to get a concealed carry and protect themselves and their family.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote