New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVD Quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've noticed that the hunting DVD's for the most part here in the US are in DVD format only.
I've always wondered why no one stepped them up to Blu-Ray. I've noticed that several hunting
DVD's about hunting in Europe and Asia and even one produced in Europe about North American hunting
were in Blu-Ray. The European and Asian DVD's were also produced in Europe. There is nothing
more spectacular than a hunting DVD in Blu-ray. I would hate to think maybe we're more interested
in the quantity and not the quality here in the US. Most, not all DVD's produced here leave a lot
to be desired. When I think of quality DVD's put together here in the US, I think of the folks
who put Mr. Boddington's together. They are well done and very informative. I have them all.
Can you imagine those in Blu-Ray?

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apropos of nothing, I just got a DVD from an outfitter extolling the high quality of his hunts. The on-screen talent seemed well versed and knowledgable and handled himself well. I do take amiss though, that he had many missing teeth and an inability to enunciate due to the gaps.

Seriously, if you make a video, at least insure your outfitter doesn't look like an extra from the old movie "Deliverance".

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
poprivit, I understand what your saying. On the up side, I just got my new SuperSlam magazine this morning and Tom Miranda has a new three disc set in Blu-Ray documenting his taking 29 different species of North American Big Game with a bow. My hats off to Mr. Miranda, well done. Both with the accomplishment and also stepping up to broadcast quality Blu-Ray. Thank you sir.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. Not in Blu-Ray, just broadcast quality. Congrats anyway. It's still a step up from everything else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I video my hunts and give the videos away to friends and family. The "originals" are given to me in both DVD and Blue Ray formats. As I recall, the cost of copying the Blue Ray was far more than the DVD format. I think something like 3 times the cost if I recall correctly.

I would guess that this has something to do with it.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did'nt know that Larry, thanks for the information. I guess at my age I'm getting burned out on things that are just enough and do not seek the next level. Hunting to me has so much to offer the non-hunting public, adventure, the outdoors. In todays world where we need to seek out the non-hunter with our message of conservation and what's good about the hunting community. I think we can do better. I was on the road for awhile in southern NM, and had to stop at a conveince store for some coffee. Inside were several camo'd hunters buying a ton of booze and talking enough trash and filth to make a sailor blush. They let it be known they were hunting and they were bound and determined to let everyone around them know it also. Talk about an image problem. Outside there was a family who had stopped. One of the kids mentioned the vullger language and associated it with all hunters. I remember the mom's comment, hoping someday her boys would'nt hunt and become like that. She noticed a couple of stickers in my back window for some hunting organizations. After she asked me about them, I was able to present hopefully a totally different image to her family.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I produce hunting films here in Norway, and so far I've only made DVD's. It's a pity, because you're loosing so much in the quality departement.
One of the reason is cost. The other is the market in Norway. I do think a lot of people has stepped up to Blue-Ray at home, but not all. So making both DVD and Blue-Ray of the same film, would be to expensive. Especially since I don't sell thousand of copies anyway Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cessna,

This is a very good and interesting topic. I must agree with you that a hunting movie in Blu-ray Disc is truly spectacular. While a DVD format is great, the benefits of Blu-ray Disc are truly significant. The color, contrast, and image quality of the Blu-ray Disc must be seen to be believed! It is as though you are right there in the action.

As Larry mentioned, the cost to produce a Blu-ray Disc is increased in comparison to the production cost of a DVD format. Sticking with your topic of movie format quality, my good friend recently released his latest movie, Death In Full-Charge, in both DVD format and also in a Blu-ray Disc version.

As I expected, the sale of the DVD is very brisk but I am also seeing very strong international interest in the Blu-ray Disc as well. To date, I have been seeing sales of this movie in Blu-ray Disc throughout Europe, the continent of Africa, and also the United States.

Mark Sullivan DVDs typically have a very strong international following as well as being popular in the United States. I am interested in seeing how my Blu-ray Disc and DVD format inventories of this movie move both domestically and internationally when compared to each other.

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shawn,
Thanks for the interesting reply. I'm not familiar with Mark Sullivan movies, except from the opinions stated here on this forum. But then I could care either way about some folks opinion. It's good to see Mr. Sullivan is stepping out and trying to make first quality movies. I'll have to see if I can get one and see what your talking about as far as a hunting film in Blu-ray. Again thanks for the response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cessna:
Shawn,
Thanks for the interesting reply. I'm not familiar with Mark Sullivan movies, except from the opinions stated here on this forum. But then I could care either way about some folks opinion. It's good to see Mr. Sullivan is stepping out and trying to make first quality movies. I'll have to see if I can get one and see what your talking about as far as a hunting film in Blu-ray. Again thanks for the response.

Sent you a PM

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i video my hunts ( as best as i am able, considering i am the hunter and cameraman, unless the PH or tracker can help). i use a Sony HD video camera that uses AVCHD format. i have a Sony burner that burns Blue Ray discs direct from the camera internal memory( or you can choose to burn in the standard DVD format). the discs are the same cost, the burn time is the same. the only difference is the image quality. i have burned video in both forms just for comparison when played on a Blue Ray player. it is like night and day. the Handycam camera was about $500( probably less now, that was 1 1/2 years ago) and the stand alone burner( no computer required) was about $175. you simply use a USB cable,plug the camera directly into the burner, turn them both on. a screen in the viewfinder opens and asks which format to use( AVCHD or Dvd), then 1 touch on the screen does all the work. it will burn about 1 hour's video in under 10 minutes. I am old school and not very computer savvy and the whole process is so simple even i get great results. food for thought.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
BluRay is an old technology now.

We used Sony 4K video cameras this year, and the quality is absolutely stunning!

Sadly, not many people have the equipment to enjoy it to the full yet - I can only watch them on a 31 inch 4K computer monitor, as we have not upgraded t0 4K TV yet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post