The Accurate Reloading Forums
Field & Stream down to four issues per year

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5851000191/m/8811007752

26 February 2020, 05:40
AnotherAZWriter
Field & Stream down to four issues per year
Well, F&S is following the footsteps of Outdoor Life and is now publishing four times per year.

They said, "You might have noticed the current issue is thicker than normal..."

No, I didn't. I recall the really thick issues when I was a kid in the 70s - every single month.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

26 February 2020, 09:38
Cougarz
A shame but it's a sign of the times.

The Internet has become the preferred media access point so unless they do as Sports Afield does and specialize they won't be long for this world.

When I was a kid my dad subscribed to both Sports Afield and Field & Stream. I liked SA for the hunting focus and F&S for the fishing. They with Outdoor Life bringing up the rear (based on circulation) were the big three hook and bullet magazines. Unfortunately times change and they must do the same.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
29 February 2020, 16:45
Bill/Oregon
This kind of thing is making it even tougher on outdoor writers' paychecks. My grandmother gave me my first Outdoor Life subscription when I was 12, in 1965.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
02 March 2020, 07:47
NormanConquest
The internet has no soul like that possessed by the written word in books + magazines. I get beaucoup magazines (mostly history) + one of my favorites is MHQ (Military History Quarterly) but even they have changed the exterior cover to now being paper like all the others rather than the old style of being hardbound. I will say that the subject matter is still as good though.

Never mistake motion for action.
18 June 2020, 20:08
Capt. Purvis
Not sure what all is happening with Bonnier Corp. Capt Peter Wright announced that is he no longer associated with them. Bonnier owns Marlin and Salt Water Sportsmen, Field and Stream, Outdoor Life and a few others.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/
15 August 2020, 09:47
Use Enough Gun
Even with the fewer mags, I get quite a few weekly emails, as a subscriber, from Field and Stream and Outdoor Life, some of which contain new articles. Sometimes, the email only turns out to be a semi-ad for an advertiser. Big Grin
07 September 2020, 02:00
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Even with the fewer mags, I get quite a few weekly emails, as a subscriber, from Field and Stream and Outdoor Life, some of which contain new articles. Sometimes, the email only turns out to be a semi-ad for an advertiser. Big Grin

Sporting Classics does the same thing; daily emails. Some of the stories are good.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

08 September 2020, 03:53
Use Enough Gun
quote:
Sporting Classics does the same thing; daily emails. Some of the stories are good.

Yes, I get theirs too. Like the others, it can either be a few new articles, or recycled ones-some even from the actual magazine that has already arrived.
08 September 2020, 04:29
Aspen Hill Adventures
I much prefer printed media.

~Ann

08 September 2020, 08:01
Use Enough Gun
quote:
I much prefer printed media.

Me too. However, if you get the printed magazines, you usually also end up getting the digital media as well. Same with SCI's publications.
24 September 2020, 09:01
georgeld
I get 6-8 printed mags a month.
As I get too much online anyway
I don't want more on here.
Spend too many hours on this thing
as it is.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight
30 August 2021, 17:54
huntfish1963
Sad to say, but both OL and F&S have gone down hill, WAY down hill over the last 2 years. As a subscriber to OL for almost 30 years, I didn't even receive a notice of the switch to electronic only. I like the hard copy version and besides, I usually donate all my mags to the library or retirement home for others to read. When both subscriptions expire, I'm done.