THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Media And Publications    HUNTING magazine has reached rock bottom
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNTING magazine has reached rock bottom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a chance to look at the latest issue of Hunting magazine and what a piece of crap - the entire issue was on people in the hunting industry and their salary range and how to get qualified for the various jobs.

The section on Boddington was a real tear-jerker when he revealed the only thing he didn't like about his job was being away from his family when he went on hunting trips. I'd like to ask him how he pays for all of his trips when the top end of his salary was listed as $150K

And I bet the store sales went thru the roof with the photo of Kid Rock with his cloths falling off holding a AR-15 and a semi-auto pistol stuck in the waist band of his low-rider pants.

The only thing missing from the profiles were what their sign was -- Leo, Aries, Gemeni etc

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Salary is one thing. Sponsorships, endorsements and appearance fees are another.

Posts: 11903 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compensation is compensation.

Sorry, but I doubt that $150 K is all he makes in value.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like anyone that has the fever, he has been pretty hard on women. The current one is number 3 or 4. I don't remember.

Most guys I know that live it like he does have been married several times, some to the point of financial ruin.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

A salary is what an employer pays and employee. That is separate and distinct from endorsement deals, sponsorship fees and appearance fees. Those fees are not paid to employees.

Posts: 11903 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The folks at all magazines are scrambling to remain relevant and solvent. I read AR way more than magazine print.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't understand why any gun magazine would hire a bullet scribe out of a college when there are tons of ex-special forces, ex-military sniper, x-Marine Infantry NCO or officer and such ripe for the picking.

As there are about 20-50,000 people in the community and several thousand of them retire each year.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just subscribed to Hunting and now wish I hadn't, even though the price was only $8 (I guess they are desperate for new readers).

I though the article on professions in the industry was a total waste of paper, ink, and readers' time.

Nobody is going to get a job based on anything that article contained. Mostly it was just a rah-rah piece about each of the representatives' super successful careers.

The Kid Rock cover didn't do the hunting/shooting community any favors, either. We've already got Ted Nugent making shooting sports participants look crazy--we don't need another bad example.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1537 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than I wish I could pocket $150 grand a year just hunting..other than that I feel like most hunting and shooting magazines have about run their course, and repetition is killing them..Nothing left to write about and its the same old rags everymonth, the 270 vs. 30-06 or some new dope on a black rifle put together or maybe I been around too long and just now noticing it! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heck, that is nothing compared to the March-April 2016 of Rifle Magazine.

There's a review article about a Cooper rifle, and the writer writes that Dan Cooper sold the business to Hugo Vivero in January of 2009 because he "wanted to pursue other interests...".

As I recall, it was the uproar over Dan contributing several thousand dollars to Obama's presidential campaign that had such severe financial repercussions that he was basically forced to sell the company to keep it from perhaps going under.

Amazing how time changes stories...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]There's a review article about a Cooper rifle, and the writer writes that Dan Cooper sold the business to Hugo Vivero in January of 2009 because he "wanted to pursue other interests...".

As I recall, it was the uproar over Dan contributing several thousand dollars to Obama's presidential campaign that had such severe financial repercussions that he was basically forced to sell the company to keep it from perhaps going under.QUOTE]

Well, maybe his "other interests" included dinner at the White House . . .

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1537 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
true...

This issue also has a full page ad inside for Cooper.

$$$ talks

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I miss the greats Jack Lott ,Elmer Keith ,Jack OConnor ,Ross Seyfried ,Finn Aagard ,Jeff Cooper ,Col. Atkinson ,Craig is ok ,so Joe Coogan ,and other with experince .But seeing and reading boring articles by a fat boy in pijamas like Mike Venturino and the likes is really disgusting .He even states that he is always inside his house .....Elmer tested his guns in the fields so the others what happens now are all the gunwriters emasculated .That why i love African Hunter at least they are written by people in the arena.A world apart althug is a hunter and not a gunwriter is DAVE FULSON ,his articles are very interesting by a gentleman ,with unveliable field experience.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when your weight blooms to over 300lbs, staying inside the house might be best for you...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This internet you and I are reading and yes now writing on has replaced most of the old print papers and magazines!

Here in CT the local newspaper's building is for sale. There is no paperboy anymore!

I used to subscribe to specialty mags like Rifle, Handloader, Car & Driver. Sail etc. Now we get it all here or on TV.

It's a whole new world and you and I are the writers.

Posts: 980 | Registered: 16 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post