THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Media And Publications    What about them "Hook and Bullet" TV shows?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about them "Hook and Bullet" TV shows?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your ideal/perfect hunting TV show - real or one you would like to see?

What is the worst?

OK, I will go first.
I do not have a favorite, but did see a pilot of a show without all of the running commentary or the "good 'ol boy" crap about " we gots to preserve our Huntin' heritage 'fore those greenies and anti's come take our guns!" dialog. I struggle with the current trove of personalities that speak as though the just passed the 3rd grade from Toad Suck, Arkansas. The pilot I saw featured very little talking to the camera and no blatant adverts for muzzle loaders no one in their right mind would use on a dangerous game hunt. Anyway, I hope it makes it.

The worst - easy- those two numbskulls that are on the show sponsored by Bushnell and they try to act excited shooting a dink impala from a concrete bunker by a water hole in South Africa and claim it was really something they dreamed of all their lives. The other was the SCI sponsored show that had the host shooting a lion in South Africa at TAM Safaris lion/livestock farm and claiming/ acting like it was tough to sneak up that mean old lion....

Let the fun begin.!

Posts: 10080 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a favorite show either. Although I do enjoy watching Tracks Across Africa, I haven't seen Dark and Dangerous yet.

My dislikes with most hunting shows are NUMEROUS!!

I can't stand to hear them say "tonight" or "last night" when they are hunting in the evening!!

Quit whispering to the camera after you've shot your rifle/muzzleloader/shotgun. You've already spooked everything when you shot!

They holler like a bunch of drunken fools everytime they shoot a whitetail.

Hunt more than whitetails/turkeys.

I love to watch them checking the zero on their rifle when they get to camp and their shooting an inch or two high and to the right or left and calling it good!! Maybe that's why they always shoot behind the shoulder?? If I was their rifle and scope sponsor, I would pull my sponsorship if they couldn't shoot any better than that or up the quality control on my product. Rarely do I see someone put three shots that could be covered with a quarter.

Why do they almost always wait for a broadside shot with a rifle? I would bet that most of the shots they take on deer are within 200 yards. If they can't shoot one in the chest or base of the neck when the deer is looking at them, GO BACK TO THE RANGE AND PRACTICE!!! Maybe that has to do with the crappy groups they shoot at the camp checking their zero.

That's about it for my gripes for now. I might add more later.

Posts: 614 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst are the many where the "hunters" jump around and slap hands like trained seals. Ertt, ertt, ertt.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pennfly:
The worst are the many where the "hunters" jump around and slap hands like trained seals. Ertt, ertt, ertt.

Humility. Wheres the sportsmanship and the humility?

When I think of outdoor sportsmen I think of gentlemen. Gentlemen who take their hat off when indoors, congratulate others on a good hunt and respect their host, the hosting environment, and the game, both taken an not.

I turned off the cable tv several years ago because I didn't value the offerings. Fox News/ CNN wasn't really reporting actual current events. Survivor and the rest of the reality shows weren't real. The outdoor shows were in the majority complimemtary of the hunters manliness, the pursued games trophy score and all the Walmart/ Cabelas ready stocked and certainly available mass production gadgets.

If hunting shows were more like tv mini series I'd probably watch them all. Saeeds annual hunt would make for great tv for me. Mark Young's multi week african extravaganza would be riveting. An entire season of Charlton/ McCallum's hunting season shown once a week every week for an hour on the Outdoor Chanel would be a seller.

This morning I read the hunting report written about the quickie hunts made for Roosevelt Elk, Blacktail deer and Whitetail deer. "Drove over here, shot one. Drove over there, shot one. Sponsored by,......quite a few Walmart/ Cabela's products!" I think it'll be made into a tv show and I'm not sorry I don't have cable.

Posts: 9010 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post