Find
Notify
Tools

The most rotten hunting show on TV
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can't believe the show I saw on TV last night,
Jon Brunson and wife takeing their kids on the Ross Hummond ranch, the daughter shot a longhorn steer, the son a Zebu Brahman steer, may have been bulls..all behind a high fence. as the cattle grazed like cattle do, they would come to a horn for feed Im pretty sure.
These are domestic cattle, Ive raised both and walked among them with a feed bucket, wrangled them on horse back roped and doctored them.NOt a lot bothers me too each his own, but this was just over the top, what a two bit punk this guy is, and the rancher is a greedy bastard..Im sue he purchased those cattle at an auction if the truth were known..Talk about food for the antis, this kind of garbage is just what they are looking for..

Oh and the line of crap about them being dangerous game!! no more than uncle Bens holstien bull on his milk herd or any other domestic bovine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol Ray!

Tell us how you feel!

I wouldn't claim them to be dangerous game, but the closest I've been to getting killed or seriously injured by an animal was with a dairy bull. I ran like hell and jumped the fence... at age 9. Scared the heck out of my grandfather (the farmer)... all I wanted to do was pet a calf.

I have no issue with shooting a cow, at least you know where your beef came from, then.

Scrub bulls in Australia are a bit of a challenge... I found them harder to hunt than the water buffalo. I got the buffalo, never did pull off the scrub bull. They are feral cattle.

Like all high fence hunts, its all about the challenge involved. From what you describe, it wasn't.

Posts: 10455 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I was reloading yesterday and heard that show (TV in my TR is next to my reloading room). Yea, it was bad, but so was the show about raising deer.
"Blackjack" looked like a freak. One deer farmer explained a guy may hunt his whole life and never shoot a deer bigger than a 130, so they offer that "chance."

I would rather shoot a spike in northern MN than a 200 in a high fence setting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I don't blame you. I hate to see kids brought up this way.
On the other hand, I almost bought a bison cull on one of Ted Turner's ranches in Montana, fully knowing it would be a drive into the pasture with the ranch manager saying shoot that one.
But I knew it would be a harvest and not a hunt -- I just wanted bison meat in the freezer and a hide to get tanned. Boy, those deals were affordable twenty years ago. No more.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16269 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the "other hand" those critters can be good for testing bullets while harvesting a bunch of meat for the family. Smiler

And not every state has a herd of free range bison to shoot.

Ray, maybe you should watch less TV and do more hunting. Then you can relate some fun hunting stories to us.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More like in poor taste Ray.
My first thought was … They made a show about that? I don't suppose they-all crawled through a few dozen cow patties to get a closer shot. A full body mount isn't likely to be cheap. Wonder what they would choose. Mouth closed or off-center with a nice bunch of grass. Who gets to keep the ear tag?
SCI official score- 2. Hah!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember laughing when I was in my 20's and people were shooting Watusi in Texas.

This doesn't surprise me on the cattle.

An ex-friend of mine was very pleased with a "big wild boar" he shot in Idaho. It was a 750-840 pound domestic Tamworth boar.

Probably came off the farm after the good life of being a breeding boar.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, Im not opposed to killing a domestic cow(calf) for meat, Ive done that in a pen..and a bison is a wild animal, and nothing like a cow..In the show a mature steer or bull or cow such as a Zebu or Texas Longhorn is not eatable at maturity, even the hamburger grows in your mouth and the dogs will turn up their nose, Im talking from experience as a rancher for much of my life..I see this crap on TV and claims of eating old yellow fat cows that are 10 and 12 is just hooey, and those that claim otherwise are just full of it..

IN other words their is a difference in domestic animals and wild animals. It was just a bad show featuring Baba and his babies. I have as much snot blown into my pockets by Brahma mamas, and clear many a fence and got hammered more than a few times, but mama was just making a point of whose calf we were branding. It goes with the territory, and as scary as it might seem her intent was not to kill me it was to leave her baby alone.

So now we have "hunters" and I use the term lightly, are hunting Spanish goats, Romboulet sheep, Zebus and longhorns. Domestic hogs turned loose and what next, Chickens and Pigmy goats!!!

Im outa here before I get really pissed.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed truly wild feral goats in Australia that were nuts.

Maybe a high fence spanish goat is another animal.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross Hammock Ranch is a rather notorious place. Not much fair chase I am told.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted and killed Spanish goats, shot the kids and filled my deep freeze, Not against killing, Im opposed to the claims of fair chase on domestic cattle...I had 30 Longhorns on the Rosillas ranch and they were wild, had offers to hunt them..we roped them and hauled them to San Angelo to the Sat. sale...

I don't care what these kind of hunters do, I just refuse to be a part of it, and have little or no respect them trying to justify it such as in this show..Those cattle were not even wild. they were places out there to be shot.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
You and I are on the same page. About the same as shooting an American Bison on a ranch. They are about as take as a cow.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
In all my time as a booking agent I only found two places that had a truly honest Bison hunt. one still exists and the other has changed hands, so don't know if they hunt that ranch or not..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120