New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greatest lie you've ever read...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The greatest lies I have ever read in a firearms magazine say something like, "In order to make an effective kill on Pogobeasts you must be shooting a bullet that produces W,XYZ foot pounds of energy at H hundred yards."

The next greatest lies go something like this, "We gave the Wizbang Widget an honest evaluation in the field and ......."

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite one was by none other than CB himself,
I do need to paraphrase. It is regarding the Winchester short mag. "They recoil less than the full size mag, I don't know how they do it."

So I bought one and they don't recoil less.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I know you won't believe it, Bill, but we could have won the Vietnam War if we had fought it like we meant it. It would have required continuing the B-52 strikes that were already starting to cripple North Vietnam. We could have crushed every port facility, airfield, dam, bridge, and factory, and reduced every major city to rubble. It would have required completely and utterly destroying the entire infrastructure and economic viability of the North. We could have done that. But it would have created a tremendous number of civilian casualties and left North Vietnam in ruin. The people of the USA and our Presidents were not willing to accept that humanitarian cost and the political fallout, nationally and internationally, that would come with it. So, the war was never fought like a real war, although it had to seem that way to the soldier on the ground. Instead, because of politics and international relations, it was fought like a "conflict".

Agreed, but would have gotten if we had "won"? Another Iraq or Bosnia or South/North Korea?

Best we leave other countries alone and mind our own country a little better.

Best we let

Posts: 10084 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever became of Dan Cooper after he sold out/ us out?
Who do you suppose he voted for this time around! Eeker

Posts: 6818 | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't subscribe anymore to hunting, fishing or shooting magazines except the SCI and DSC mags that come with the membership. They just don't interest me much anymore. As for lies the one that jumps out from my memory is how easy it is to butcher a moose while he's in the water. Reality is your in deep shit if you kill a moose in the water. You only do that once. I've read that BS at least twice. I'd have much more respect for the story if the writer had said that they messed up and it was real struggle to get the moose butchered rather than covering up their huge mistake with a complete lie.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"women, they're not snakes with tits".

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get a lot of magazines comped..I read everything Phil Shoemaker, and a few others write, but mostly todays young scribes don't have the experience to write about their hunts..They don't seem to get adopted by high rollers anymore and that seems to me about the only way one can get that kind of experience as the mags can't pay the price to compensate..At least it looks like that to me..Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith, and the likes had a lot of help financially to gain that experience, but they certainly earned it in my opinion..Booking agents get a lot of comped or partially comped hunts if they perform by selling lots of hunts for the safari companies, but today PHs and Safari companies are leery of so called booking agents as so many get a free hunt and that's the last the PHs see of them. I suppose today film stars are part of this new method. The complaints I see today are filming a hunt or getting a write up doesn't really sell a lot of hunts, but IM sure that depends on the show and the write up to some extent.

Just my take and wouldn't swear to it, you scribes tell me if Im close or out to lunch, that would be interesting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
As for lies the one that jumps out from my memory is how easy it is to butcher a moose while he's in the water. Reality is your in deep shit if you kill a moose in the water. You only do that once.

Mark

While I think you are referring to shooting one or having it die in a lake or deep water, I had a less extreme experience back in September, not once, but twice. The second one being worse than the first.

I shot a moose and he went down in about shin deep water/swamp grass. It was a royal PITA as we could not kneel down to quarter the animal (the water would run over the top of the hip waders). This meant standing up and leaning over to cut. It was tiring and less than fun.

Five days later one of the other guys shot a bigger moose and it went down in even deeper swamp water. This took several hours to quarter with four of us working on it.

I remember saying something like "I am never going to shoot anything bigger than an antelope ever again"

Posts: 6 | Location: Oregon Wine Country | Registered: 06 October 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot it in the water you clean it. In medicine it's called the Frankenstein principle: "You created the monster you get to keep it!!"

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lived in Alaska for some years and on first moose hunt was told by experienced local hunter, "do not shoot a moose if you can not see it's feet." Words of experience and wisdom.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDetective:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
As for lies the one that jumps out from my memory is how easy it is to butcher a moose while he's in the water. Reality is your in deep shit if you kill a moose in the water. You only do that once.

Mark

While I think you are referring to shooting one or having it die in a lake or deep water, I had a less extreme experience back in September, not once, but twice. The second one being worse than the first.

I shot a moose and he went down in about shin deep water/swamp grass. It was a royal PITA as we could not kneel down to quarter the animal (the water would run over the top of the hip waders). This meant standing up and leaning over to cut. It was tiring and less than fun.

Five days later one of the other guys shot a bigger moose and it went down in even deeper swamp water. This took several hours to quarter with four of us working on it.

I remember saying something like "I am never going to shoot anything bigger than an antelope ever again"

Just about the same story here. When you're wading out there, always the possibility the buggar will come to life and take his anger out on you. We put a rope on and pulled him out with my VW. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youp50:
My favorite one was by none other than CB himself,
I do need to paraphrase. It is regarding the Winchester short mag. "They recoil less than the full size mag, I don't know how they do it."

So I bought one and they don't recoil less.

I also believe that my 300 WSM recoils less than my 300 WM's.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When someone is over to the house and they are looking at my mounts they say. "that's nice, I almost got one bigger than that". The same folks that never seem to have the time to go hunting.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting a moose in water is just like masturbation, once you pull the trigger you got a hell of a mess on your hands! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot one on the edge of a lake , he then jumped in and started to swim across. He died out in deep water and almost sunk . His rack was pulling him under . I towed him back to shore with my canoe , then cut him up in about 2 or 3 feet of water , with my axe ..

I'll never forget that experience..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1289 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post