Tv hunting shows
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Watched a Coues deer hunt today on TV...The hunter jumped a Coues buck up close, took him forever to set up his walking bench rest and mount his 300 someodd magnum, then he gut shot the deer, made a issue about the good shot he made, but it was a low gut shot, followed up a long tracking job and finished off the buck. Up close of the head only of course...

I hate to see that sort of stuff, its just a lie, either trash the film or tell it like it is, but of course many folks can't accept the reality of a poor shot and that may not be acceptable..I don't know but it ruined the show for me..What is your reaction?

Ray:
Especially when you can see the vapor trail...

I notice they never show us where the shot went in, esp the long range shows.

Finally, I get tired of seeing someone need one of those bog pod double yoke cradles to shoot a deer at 200 yards. Come on, get a shooting sling and learn how to shoot.

A sling? Why not just raise the rifle and fire when cross hairs are on target?

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Watched a Coues deer hunt today on TV...The hunter jumped a Coues buck up close, took him forever to set up his walking bench rest and mount his 300 someodd magnum, then he gut shot the deer, made a issue about the good shot he made, but it was a low gut shot, followed up a long tracking job and finished off the buck. Up close of the head only of course...

I hate to see that sort of stuff, its just a lie, either trash the film or tell it like it is, but of course many folks can't accept the reality of a poor shot and that may not be acceptable..I don't know but it ruined the show for me..What is your reaction?

Ray:
Especially when you can see the vapor trail...

I notice they never show us where the shot went in, esp the long range shows.

Finally, I get tired of seeing someone need one of those bog pod double yoke cradles to shoot a deer at 200 yards. Come on, get a shooting sling and learn how to shoot.

A sling? Why not just raise the rifle and fire when cross hairs are on target?

I did just that on a moose last September.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snap shooting is a skill easier to gain than most seem to think...............

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They'll have a fat guy in the sponsors camo sitting in an elevated blind waiting for a deer to walk by so he can blast it with his.400 Belchfire Magnum.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My biggest complaint is the Black bear hunting shows. My wife gets upset with me when I am hollering "Don't shoot that little bear!" Then they pose Gomer so far behind the little bear that the bear and the hunter are not in the same focus. The bears that they shoot on Vancouver Island are full sized. You can tell by the tiny ears on the side of the head and the dip in the head down the middle. Some time ago, I saw one show where a retired Lady Judge from Texas was hunting from a stand in Canada. There were two little cubs trying to eat off of a 55 gallon drum. The little guys could barely reach the top of the drum. Then a larger bear came to the drum and started to eat also. The cubs didn't act like they were a bit worried as the larger bear was most likely their mother. So our "hunter" takes her Winchester model 95 and whacks the bear. She just shot a sow with cubs, and they put that on TV. It made me sick. I still will not watch a "Gomer shoots the little bear and brags it up show." I do like Jim Shockey and Ivan Carter though. I also like the bird hunting shows so that I can watch the dogs work. Then again, that's just me.

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My take on long range shooting at game is based on observation over the years..A really good shot will hit the animal about every time up to say 600 or more yards, but he won't stick the bullet in that 12" kill zone every time...A bad shot is a boone to hunting, he'll miss every time and seldom wounds..Ive seen some bad shots claimed on TV, but the reaction of the animal tells me its not a killing shot, and in one case wasn't the same animal..The camera men can be pretty tricky..Ive been on the same ranch with camera hunts for TV, and observed them..The go out and make a kill, one time from the truck and another over the hood of a pickup, then they go back and film the hunt..oh well but they did make clean kills in both instances, that was satisfying to me.. faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, The problem with most folks is that they have no idea as to where to hold on an animal to make a shot at 600 yards, even if they are sure that it is in fact 600yds.. Say for instance you have a .300 Win. Mag. loaded with 180gr. Accubonds leaving at 2950 f/s and you are zeroed in at 200 yards. At 600 yds. your bullet will strike 5.5' low. When I hear someone bragging about taking a 600 yd. shot, I ask them where they aimed to make that shot. If I get an answer at all, it has never been near about holding 5 1/2 feet over the intended kill spot. The best thing to do is just pass on bye and don't even say anything more.
Favor Center

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that some of my best shots over the years was when the animal zigged when he shoulda zAgged..

I got quoted trajectory of a caliber on AR the didn't fit the kill, the trajectory was for a rifle sighted in POI at 100 yards, my guns are sighted in at 3" high at 100, 4 inches high at 200 and on at 275 to 300 depending on the caliber...and this from a well known gunsmith. Im amazed at how many guides and PHs suggest a 100 yard zero, others a 200 yard zero, but I never argue the point, its an option, and I just never knew better..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Practically all hunting videos and shows are made by self glorifying idiots!

I gave watching them years ago!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66701 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My family gets upset with me when I yell, "Dammint just shoot that son of a bitch, you've had 5 easy shots!! so he waits until it gets broadside at 40 yards then loads his rifle slowly tips the safety and bang, down goes the pasture pet eating grain..

I watch them from time to time, its like watching the three stooges, except funnier.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120