THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Media And Publications    Looking for James Mellon's African Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for James Mellon's African Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would gladly do a swop if someone is interested. I have No 2 and various other titles. Easiest would be a PM?

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several on eBay (that’s where I got mine). Might find one that will ship to RSA. Prices are reasonable.

This is one book I wish I had gotten 30 years ago. It is an amazing book.

Good luck.

Posts: 7776 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks you , that's great advice. The biggest challenge would be our internal delivery.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received a copy I ordered from ebay. They had lots of copies for sale. I have read a little and think I will really enjoy this book. Snav, I hope you can get a copy delivered to RSA.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale,
I hope you enjoy reading yours. I was fortunate enough to be given a copy which, due to it's large size, I put aside initially until I could devote some time to getting into it. Once started I could hardly put it down and spent many a late night hungrily page turning and realising the author was in many ways an extraordinary man.
It now sits on top of a pile of books as I plan to reread and pick out nuggets of wisdom I may have missed first time around.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2005 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of African Hunter that I bought when it first came out. Great book!

Another that is along the same lines, is Asian Hunter by Capt. Brandt. Also a great book and it gives you some idea of what things use to be like for hunters in Asia, particularly southeast Asia. I got an ex-library copy through ABE a number of years ago and am glad to have it. Hard book to find and even harder to find one that is affordable now.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Asian Hunter too. I thought it an informative read and I found accounts of hunting Gaur fascinating. Would love to hunt one but I know in reality that will never happen. If anything I learned Asia may be even more diverse that Africa in wildlife species but that, sadly, has today more diminished opportunity for hunting. I think Brandt did very well with coverage in his book but overall I found Mellon's writing style a little easier to digest. Brandt's style required reading breaks periodically until I finished the book.
Overall though both books are well worth having.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2005 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snav:
Thanks you , that's great advice. The biggest challenge would be our internal delivery.

Find someone who comes to DSC to bring it back for you and I will get it off eBay for you. You can pay-pal me the money or send it with whom will haul it back for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36450 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your very kind offer. I will spread the word and see who might be going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one just now on Amazon. I will have it next week. It was $55.00 delivered. I will send it back to RSA with any mate you might have who comes to DSC.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36450 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately nobody I know is going over anytime soon.
However I will look into some courier options from your side here, if that' s still alright with you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!

Your book is in my office.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snav

You could explore myus.com.
You register a postal box with them in Florida, choose a courier of choice.
Lane sends it to your po box and they forward it to you via courier.
Not dirt cheap, but I have received all my stuff from RAM mounts to a pressure cooker without any trouble.
The costs are twofold, a fee from myus which covers the courier and the couriers then let you know what import duty is payable via ETF.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Balule

The book landed in SA at the end of October, a friend of mine's wife went over to Chicago and Lane managed to get it to the hotel where she was staying.
It was a very humbling process. There are still very good people out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, still very good people around.
Glad you have it in hand.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post