New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meateater
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Best new show out there. Love that guy. He televises a great show and adds a lot. Not your typical "Wohoo, will you look that buck" type of show.
Very good.

Posts: 10082 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross:

I agree with you and in reality, it’s the only hunting show that I have any desire to watch. I really enjoy and appreciate how he promotes hunting.

There is no stupid, fake yells, or acting. Plus, some of his hunts end up with him not taking an animal.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree; one of the shows that I tape.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is really interesting it is streamed globally.

Netflix has very good granular data on who watches the show and the show has been renewed multiple times.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've watched all of the episodes, some more than once. tu2

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just watched the second episode of this season where he makes a bad shot on an elk. He is brutally honest with his feelings and efforts to find the wounded elk. Turns out another hunter finds it and seeks him out to show where it is. Very good and a very accurate depiction of an archery hunt that could have gone really bad.
I really like his show.

Posts: 10082 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I too like the show for multiple reasons but I really like its appeal to the DIY guy. Steve is not always successful and he often shoots an animals for meat rather than going home empty handed. I think that's relatable to many hunters. I certainly remember many hunts where I ate "track soup" or shot the first legal animals I saw.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a good show overall, but I prefer the early episodes, before the corporatization, strategic partnerships and all the personalities that really don’t add all that much value. It’s a big boat to keep afloat now and is starting to feel like it.

Posts: 7759 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...the early stuff before the matching monkey suits, sponsorships, and “cool” lingo. At first it was like a regular Joe you could identify with, now its Hollywood’ed.

Can’t blame him though, he’s a brand now and a fellas gotta eat.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I just watched the second episode of this season where he makes a bad shot on an elk. He is brutally honest with his feelings and efforts to find the wounded elk. Turns out another hunter finds it and seeks him out to show where it is. Very good and a very accurate depiction of an archery hunt that could have gone really bad.
I really like his show.

In the current season he shoots an elk in Colorado. That one is not found. He lost his front sight the morning prior and gets a replacement in town.

I like his show over all. Cooking is still there, but he has stopped the cook tutorials at the end of the episodes which I like best.

Posts: 10558 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm working through the back log of his Pod casts as well. I don't listen to music in the car anymore much to the wife's disgust Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the current season he shoots an elk in Colorado. That one is not found. He lost his front sight the morning prior and gets a replacement in town.

He knocked that elk right down and off of its feet. The shot was longer than he wished (120 yards with the muzzleloader and a new back sight that maybe had not been carefully re-sighted-at least he didn't indicate that it had been). However, from the shot that was shown, I suspect a spine shot as it got up after a few minutes and left with little blood here and there. He didn't have enough time to reload and get another shot in it and was shaking-the reasons I carry quick loads for my muzzleloaders. Big Grin I've seen spine shots in Africa and the animal acts almost identical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the shot went high clipping a boney spine extension.

I am not blaming him. I was, for lack of a better word, impressed he showed it.

Posts: 10558 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly. That's what a spine shot is. Here's a great explanation from an archery website's perspective: "If an arrow hits the backbone but does not cut the spinal cord, the animal may drop from “spinal shock,” which is similar to hitting the “funny bone” in your elbow. ... The paralysis is temporary, and within a minute or so, the animal may get up and run away." Same with a bullet. As an example, while hunting Zimbabwe one year, I shot an impala for leopard bait that dropped like it had been struck by lightning. We walked over to it and while it was lying there and we were talking (PH, trackers, skinners, me), it opened its eyes, stumbled to it's feet and immediately ran off. All of us were so shocked that we stood there and watched all of this happen and didn't do a damn thing! Eeker rotflmo And, by the way, Rinella is brutally honest. Take the comment that he made about his tag was now 'punched', and no more elk hunting that season after that. He also comes across as being like one of your hunting buddies, rather than a star or celebrity.