New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grays Sporting Journal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was happily immersed in the W R Russell site yesterday. To be more truthful, I was like a pig in shit, and noticed GSJ under a list of publications. Sure enough, it's still alive under different ownership. Any subscribers here? Is it as good as it used to be?

Does anyone remember a nasty little piece about boiled owl?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very long time ago, I purchased a lifetime subscription to GSJ and they still are honoring it. I still enjoy most issues and the writing is generally quite good. It probably has a more "philosophical" feeling to it, than it used to, but is worth a read.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a subscriber for most of my adult life, since Ed Gray started it. Still am. Gray's Sporting Journal and Sports Afield are the class of the industry. I read them cover to cover.

Posts: 10084 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edod:
A very long time ago, I purchased a lifetime subscription to GSJ and they still are honoring it. I still enjoy most issues and the writing is generally quite good. It probably has a more "philosophical" feeling to it, than it used to, but is worth a read.

It really isn't for me, I am more of a rifle crank and I don't like Terry Weiland-esque articles. I can appreciate what they try to do though.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to GSJ. It is very different to other magazines, but if you enjoy literature it is unique.

I like Sports Afield too, but I cannot find a rifle magazine currently that suits.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I received an invitation to subscribe to GSJ for three years for the price of one--21 issues for $46.95 against the "cover price" of $209.79.

I've been getting a lot of "super deals" from the various hunting/fishing mags, some for $8 a year.

I'm old, and I think there's a plot to entice us "senior citizens" into subscribing for the teaser year. I bet the renewal won't be as cheap.

But as to the GSJ, I was tempted, but then put off when I found several spelling errors in the promotional material. Seems kinda fishy (pun not intended--or maybe it was) that a high-class magazine like Gray's would make spelling errors in its marketing material.

What do you think? Possible scam? And is $46.95 for 3 years a good deal, assuming it's for real?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1539 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I subscribe and wait for the good deals to resubscribe. It's a nice departure from the standard.

It's the only hunting style magazine I subscribe to.

Posts: 7761 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
Today I received an invitation to subscribe to GSJ for three years for the price of one--21 issues for $46.95 against the "cover price" of $209.79.

I've been getting a lot of "super deals" from the various hunting/fishing mags, some for $8 a year.

I'm old, and I think there's a plot to entice us "senior citizens" into subscribing for the teaser year. I bet the renewal won't be as cheap.

But as to the GSJ, I was tempted, but then put off when I found several spelling errors in the promotional material. Seems kinda fishy (pun not intended--or maybe it was) that a high-class magazine like Gray's would make spelling errors in its marketing material.

What do you think? Possible scam? And is $46.95 for 3 years a good deal, assuming it's for real?

That looks like a scam. I have subscribed for years and they are very adamant that they do not solicit subscriptions. They even have a warning in the magazine about this. I suggest you go to their website and then call them. They are very nice and good to work with.

Posts: 10084 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find GSJ has gotten redundant or like Elevator Music. I think that they should get rid of the old editor and turn it up a notch. Just my opinion.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a subscriber and enjoy Grays very much - some issues suit my interests better than others, but that's not a reflection of the quality of the journal. The writing tends to be a several steps above standard sport journals and the photography and art are well done.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy every issue of Grays.. Along with Sporting Classics they are my favorites

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a charter subscriber and held on to those early issues for a long while before giving them away. I enjoy Sporting Classics on line.
Reminds me that I need to restart my Double Gun Journal subscription.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree that Gray's Sporting Journal was at one time, one of the best. It's still very good. But I think Sporting Classics has become the premier magazine of its type today. The writing, photography and art are the best at the moment.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post