THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Media And Publications    Mike Schoby's "Outdoor TV's 7 deadly sins"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Schoby's "Outdoor TV's 7 deadly sins"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
See it in Petersen's Hunting November issue, From the Editor section.

He is definitely on to something.

Posts: 1939 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can find a copy, I cancelled my subscription a few months ago.

If anyone has the gist I'd love to hear it.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw it and thought it was pretty hypocritical. I am forumulating a response to him but will include these suggestions:

1. Don't film a canned lion hunt in RSA and pass it off as a fair chase hunt. Talk about the fact it was a hunt in a fenced area in which there was no doubt you would shoot the cat.
2. Get rid of the vendor decals on gun stocks and barrels. Have you ever seen one of us carrying guns with such tacky accouterments?
3. Tell us how much you paid for the hunt or if the sponsors paid for the hunt.
4. Stop showing staged shots; if you don't film it in real time, don't show it.
5. Show us some DIY hunts once in a while - or is that beyond your skillset?
6. If the industry sponsor you are taking is a fat out of shape slob, find someone else.
7. Stop passing off 5 point elk as trophy elk. Nothing wrong with shooting them, but don't bullshit us.

There you have it: my response to his seven deadly sins.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen Peterson's do any of those things on TV.

They have even done some self=guided hunts.

Boddington got his Colorado moose through the help of some friends not a guide.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see them TV hunters follow Schoby's suggested changes. As far as AAW I would like them to:
1. Don't show these SA lion hunts, period. A turd is a turd. You don't need to show it to people.
2. Ok, what about getting rid of the other gun barrel stickers? Let's eliminate them all.
3. I don't care who paid or how much. I know somebody did and I'm not jealous.
4. Agree
5. I know how to DIY, so I'd like to see hunts I can't afford, to keep me hungry.
6. If your going to cut out fat Americans when we are already cutting out inbreds and yahoos from being on TV, then I have a shot at a TV career so I'm all for that. (Not really)
7. Trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not such a Boone and Crockett snob so I'm ok with a rag horn being somebody's trophy.

Wink

Posts: 1939 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was one the first honest articles I have seen in a hunting magazine. Most just tells us how good everything is and how each gun shoots great. I appreciated his honesty.

Posts: 10080 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You want to see a real safari, with no plugging for any adverts, just raw hunting in Africa as it is actually done?

Put your name down for a copy of our safari of this year.

I am partly through putting it all together right now.

I have tried to include everything that goes on on a hunt.

From the minute we boarded our charter flight, to the minute we flew back to Dar.

In between you will see most of our hunts - sadly, sometimes the camera man was not ready when the hunters were actually hunting!!?

The rather negative result of having none staged hunts.

I have tried to include everything a new hunter should expect to see on safari, and hopefully won't be too boring for those who have been.

I have been asked to include what happens after the animals are shot.

And I have included that too.

I should be able to ask for PMs in the next 2-3 weeks.

This year we are distributing the safari in Full 1080 HD format on USB sticks.

We all hope you will enjoy it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66684 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Please put me down for the new video.

Rob Haught
337 Albert St.
New Martinsville, WV 26155

Thank you
Rob

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in case you all didn't see it, here is a link to article:
http://www.petersenshunting.co...or-tv-personalities/

DSC, DU, MBS, NRA, QDMA, RGS, RMEF, SCI

"Sherrill. Why do you belong to so many organizations?"
"Well... I have this thing for banquets."

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I saw it and thought it was pretty hypocritical. I am forumulating a response to him but will include these suggestions:

1. Don't film a canned lion hunt in RSA and pass it off as a fair chase hunt. Talk about the fact it was a hunt in a fenced area in which there was no doubt you would shoot the cat.
2. Get rid of the vendor decals on gun stocks and barrels. Have you ever seen one of us carrying guns with such tacky accouterments?
3. Tell us how much you paid for the hunt or if the sponsors paid for the hunt.
4. Stop showing staged shots; if you don't film it in real time, don't show it.
5. Show us some DIY hunts once in a while - or is that beyond your skillset?
6. If the industry sponsor you are taking is a fat out of shape slob, find someone else.
7. Stop passing off 5 point elk as trophy elk. Nothing wrong with shooting them, but don't bullshit us.

There you have it: my response to his seven deadly sins.

A corollary, seven things said on outdoor television shows that should be banned:

1. In a hurried, whispered tone, "Big buck, big buck . . . !"

2. On a lion hunt in South Africa, "The African lion is the apex predator. When you are hunting lion, who is the hunter and who is the prey is open to debate."

3. In response to anything, "I trust my life on it."

4. After any shot, "Yes! Yes!" typically accompanied by over the top fist pumping, back slapping and other general child like behavior.

5. Guide after any shot, including a 40 yard shot in an open pasture, "That was an amazing shot."

6. "Unbelieveable, incredible" generally spoken while holding a hand out and pretending that the hand is nervously shaking.

7. Virtually anything said by a co-host that is included simply to be eye candy for viewers that really do noodle for catfish, for real.

Mike

Posts: 21058 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post