New
Find
Notify
Tools

The great Osa Johnson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My reaction to some of the foregoing comments, what the heck difference does it make.

One, how does their view on hunting impact the nature of their adventures? The adventures they lived took place a long time ago, so I am not sure how relevant their attitudes on trophy hunting are today. Besides there are plenty of hunters who over time changed their attitudes on hunting and put down the rifle to take up the camera, Jim Corbett is one of the better known people.

Two, you judge people in part by the people they associate with. As I recall the Johnsons were good friends with Blaney Percival, not someone who is thought of as an anti-hunter.

Three, plenty of sickening examples today of hunters that hunt "to fatten their egos with trophies, no matter how obtained . . ." Personally I have little time for those folks, and organizations that cater to those folks, too.

Mike

Posts: 21061 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, Blaney Percival was the game warden quoted above, in Mr. Quimby's post.

Then, it's been noted that Osa shot a bunch of animals that charged the camera--how did so many charges take place, just in time to be filmed?

Finally, she and Martin made a fortune off their films and personal appearances, but Osa railed against trophy hunting in her lectures.

Yes, it all happened a long time ago, and none of what she said is remembered today--except in her books.

I guess Bill Quimby and I just have a problem deifying someone who bit the hand that fed her.

I'm willing to bet that if Osa were alive today, people on this website would not be her favorites, nor she ours.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1537 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:

I'm willing to bet that if Osa were alive today, people on this website would not be her favorites, nor she ours.

Not sure whether that is an indictment or an endorsement.

Mike

Posts: 21061 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Not sure whether that is an indictment or an endorsement.[/QUOTE]

Mike, that is a true statement, no doubt about it! Wink

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1537 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read all the books by Martin and Osa. Like them or not, they lived in a time that will never be repeated and I wish I lived back then and went on the same adventures.

I visited the museum a few months ago and sent the museum a file I have of their original photos (not copies) and press releases--most of them the museum did not have.

I'd love to find one of their .470 Blands, their .505, or one of their .405 Winchesters.

I'm in Zim now but wish it was the 1930s.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides J.A.Hunters books Martin &Osa Johnson books were the easiest to find overhere in Denmark when I started to grow interest in Africa` `hunting` and the guns. I too is an admire of them and was inspired of their huntingbattery. I have found most of the places they have been hunting in Africa on GoogleEarth. Some names back then has a different name now.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Osa Johnson was one of the most fearless worn hunters ever .The adventure they went on Will never be repeated .Her books are some of the best adventure books by a woman ever .They were awesome people !-

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:

Not sure whether that is an indictment or an endorsement.

Denys Finch-Hatton and Donald Ker (among plenty of others) would also easily fall into this category.

Posts: 7758 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
They wanted to help preserve wild Africa which is being.lost big Time today .Today's safaris are very tame and very easy compared to Osa And Martin's safaris .I bet 99 percent of the so called safari hunters today could not Handle what they went through .They were tough as nails that era of Africa is awesome she is my favorite African Female Hunter by far .It won't be long before all the wilderness of Africa is gone .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post