New
Find
Notify
Tools

The hunt report
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Well yep we got a deer. My boy Kurt spotted its ear flick from across the gully (I walked on oblivious Big Grin) The troops got my attention and I snuck (sneeked?) back and took the shot. A lasered 238 meters which would be one of the longest I've taken.

The first shot took out a chuck of its heart but I thought I'd missed. It turned and stood and another shot took out its lungs. It then proceeded to tumble down the gully 40 meters into some lantana.

We took as much meat as we could and the next day there was 12 big Wedge Tails on the carcass.
We went to the same area the next day and bumped a huge boar but couldn't get a shot before it disappeared into the lantana.
Pig bed

Both nights we were there we had wild dogs howling all around us and we bumped one from its bed but again it was took quick for us.
Full fridge

And Kurt just sent me this tonight

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the successful hunting and accurate shooting. My son and I ( with friends ) just finished some productive hunting not more than a week ago. Your vegetation looks a bit thicker than where we hunted but maybe it's not as steep..? Pity you didn't catch up with that Boar again. I was hoping you would as I was looking forward to Boar pics.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I set up my game camera near the pig hang out. I'll go back in a month and see what it took and have another crack at it.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bakes
posted 17 May 2021 23:29
I set up my game camera near the pig hang out. I'll go back in a month and see what it took and have another crack at it.

Hope you get some game camera pics you could post. I assume you will take a rifle next time you check the camera, just in case....

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Of course Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine hunt!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one! Young fella coming in handy now.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote