New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt report- My knee's hurt
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Well I'm home now and my knees are recovering from three days of walking up those bloody gullies. Spotted 3 reds as soon as I drove through the gate. Set up camp and gave them time to settle and went looking for them. However they had split. Checked out a dam where I had the camera set up (Previous post). Sat and watched the dam and when I moved I spooked two reds that were bedded down out of sight Mad Chased them for a bit but couldn't get a shot away.

Next day we went looking for pigs. We heard, then spotted the pigs on the other hill side amongst the lantana. Down and up the bloody gully saw us spook one mob, but as I stalked along I saw an ear twitch. A sow was laying down with just her shoulders and head showing facing away from me. The shot took her through the top of the shoulder and out through her head!

That afternoon we checked out the other side of the property, set the game camera up and as we were walking out at dusk I spotted some Chital. A rushed offhand shot saw me bloody miss! FARK!!

Last morning hunt saw us on the escarpment over looking most of the property. Off to the left about 300m away I spotted 4 red deer hinds. We stalked back along the top of the escarpment and I came down to them to about 40 meters. I picked what I thought was the youngest. The shot took out both shoulders and she rolled down hill about 40 meters. We cut her up and it took us 20 minutes to walk out about 150 meters in elevation. I'm getting to old for this!

Backstraps, two shoulders and a rear leg!

The pic of the live hinds was taken when I went to visit the property owners neighbor. They were just off the side of the road. The rub tree is from Chital I think and the dam shows well used pig wallows.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you certainly hit that one! Not alot of shoulder meat needed carrying home.

great bowstalking country.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah I took both back and cut off the damaged stuff. That will go to mince.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good report thanks Bakes. And congrats on the results.
Makes me envious for what I'm missing with lockdown currently in force. One thing for sure, I'll be out the door and gone as soon as I'm allowed.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean mate. The area I was hunting in was outside the COVID Bullshit areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures.

Had that sow dropped her litter yet?

Glad you got some eating meat, that's
what counts.

Looks better than that old guy eating
roadkill!

Thanks for sharing,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah about three little piglets George.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My knee's hurt

There will be another substantial damage report after your sambar hunting.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:
My knee's hurt

There will be another substantial damage report after your sambar hunting.

Have to get down there first Gryph Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
It will happen.....and so will the sore knees!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
Would your red deer doe look like this if not wet?
Very good eating, close to elk.

No gullys on the Gulf Coast where this was shot. Meat now gone and time for another.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's hell getting old but it beats the only alternative.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Bakes,
Would your red deer doe look like this if not wet?
Very good eating, close to elk.

No gullys on the Gulf Coast where this was shot. Meat now gone and time for another.

The meats OK but I do prefer the Chital (Axis) deer that are also on the property Big Grin