New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bit of a stormy weekend
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And that is perfect weather for duckshooting!

My brother and made the most of the bad weather and did a couple of memorable shoots, the end result being a whole lot of processing work on the monday, but worth it all the way.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That's a nice haul Shanks. We didn't shoot as many as usual on opening weekend this year, about 40 odd, but had a ball anyway. I didn't shoot much at all as I had my 10yo grandson in my pop-up 2 seater mai mai, as he has done since he was 5yo but this time he had the 20g single shot gun I gave him for Xmas 2020. He had open heart surgery on Easter Tuesday last year so couldn't shoot for the 2021 season. This year was the year with his junior licence and 20g so I held back shooting at ducks coming in and let him have first shot.
My three sons and a couple of mates shoot an irrigation pond in mid-Canterbury on opening weekend and the shooting can be trying at times.
Grandson did fire the 20g when he got it for Xmas but I had 28gm loads and it kicked a lot. He wasn't happy and even mum and dad who are both shooters found the recoil from the light single shot a bit heavy.
For ducks I got him some steel 24gm loads and this year the first shot sat him back onto the mai mai seat but he said that was fun and then proceeded to shoot off nearly a couple of packets for the weekend. He got three good greenheads and some good practice shooting over the big pond.
For the evening shoot he shot between mum and dad from a spare laydown blind and got a greenhead that both mum and dad had missed.

I had my year old springer spaniel this year and my son his GSP for his second season. The GSP retrieved every duck from the pond, some out quite a distance and a couple of divers for which the dog treaded water while swivelling head round to locate the resurfacing diver. He is a powerful and fast swimmer so managed to grab these divers no problem.

8yo grand-daughter sits with me now that big bro has graduated to a laydown. Grandson now wants a gun with 2 barrels so maybe sis will inherit the 20g single.

Poor grandad won't get a lot of shooting on opening weekends now Wink

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep but I bet you are having a ball!

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote