THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Anyone having regular success howling up dingoes ?

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone having regular success howling up dingoes ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any regular success howling up dingoes ??

How are you achieving good results ?

I have had success using a homemade caller and wolf howling soundtrack but the results could be better.

I often wondered if you could obtain a "junior" dog howling soundtrack then it could improve results.

My logic is that if you played a subordinate dog howl the dominant dog in the area would investigate in order to mate with or drive off the stranger and a subordinate dog hearing the call may want to "pack up" with that other subordinate dog for company.

What has been your experience ?

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try a wolf/coyote caller on a red deer place I hunt on. Last time I was there I heard a few wild dogs calling. Give it a go mate. You never know.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7973 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted Dingos, so take it for what its worth.

I have had some success with locating packs of coyotes with the howl. Mainly before daylight. Almost all of my kills have been using prey sounds.
When fawns are hitting the ground or still small I use fawn in distress. During the other times I rotate between rabbit and rodent in distress.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had success with just a scotch predator caller not long after first light. Its a bit like fox calling though, if you suspect there's a den in a gully its not hard to pull the pups out but adults are inclined to stay out of range

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Herbert in Victoria ( Herbie) does it with great success.
you can find an episode of 'Beyond the Divide" with him calling & the Dingoes ( whole packs ) responding.
Think its available on DVD.

FWIW

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We find it hard to call them in with the rabbit call. Have tried old school and electronic.

The rabbit call is handy to get them to pull up for the 2-3 second shot, because that is all you will get.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An adult dog challenge call works best apparently.
careful not to be too aggressive & appear a dominant dog.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DenisB,

That's why I would have thought a "junior dog" howl would have worked better.

Tom Varney, Esk (Queensland) did a series of vhs tapes on calling up dingoes and foxes.

He called up multiple dingoes that came in "all hackled up". They weren't coming in to be friendly.

Well worth the look.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
What a good bit of video,would be great if the kid had a rifle in his hand.

https://youtu.be/fbUyNx-G79Y

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002