21 April 2011, 04:46
TOP_PREDATOR
South Australia Police, calibre/performance restrictions

416 REM MAG???? Eeker

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

21 April 2011, 06:20
HARDBALLER
Wow! What is their definition of high performance? 17 HMR could be defined as high performance to anyone wishing to ban it. They need to justify their ban stating stats like these rounds HAVE killed more people in AUS than any other, etc...instead of branding them high performance. Heck, my girlfriend thinks I am high performance but that means jack.
21 April 2011, 07:16
500N
The fact that they include the 416 Rem Mag just shows they know nothing and basing it on name, supposed ability et al.

I notice the Wby cartridges are not on there, just the one's with dangerous sounding names.
21 April 2011, 14:54
gryphon1
Dunno about that cob...whats dangerous sounding about a Cheyenne Tactical ..didnt George Armstrong C get them all at Little Big Horn?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002
22 April 2011, 09:00
APB
This guy in charge of firearms in SA is currently the most dangerous person to all Australian firearms owners since John Howard.
This issue has been around for a couple of years now ans began with the 338 Lap and 460 etc. plus SA police rescinded permits previously issued on a 416 Barrett.
If he doesn't think the applicant has a genuine reason then they will not issue a permit.
He has previously stated that big game doesn't exist in South Australia and hunting overseas in not a genuine reason.
The main danger is the precedant set for other states to pick up his baton run with similar idiotic bans. Queensland has on the 338 Lap making it difficult to acieve issue of PTA.
He is also trying to have pump and lever actions moved to Cat C.
22 April 2011, 16:26
Matt Graham
Who is that you are referring to??

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

24 April 2011, 19:48
Stonewall
Put a 30 inch barrel on a Ruger #1 in .338 Win Mag and you will match .338 Lapua ballistics.

The .340 Weatherby will do the same .

Canadian federal elections are on May 2 .
"May you live in interesting times."

Our member of parliment is complete idiot .
I keep telling myself I am "voting for the Consevative party."

A much better idea would be to just replace him ........

Then I could vote with confidence that my M.P. at least thinks like I do.

Nelson Mandela
is NOT a terrorist .

Glenn
26 April 2011, 14:35
APB
Stonewall
I agree but these type of comments has resulted in his current list and it can be easliy added to.
His anxiety complex could be transfered to ballaistic coefficients next.
From there he could outlaw target rifle because no civilians should pracrise shooting at 1000yds!
Matt
He doesn't identify his signature on the letter -fairly standard with bureaucrats these days.
I have a letter he drafted last year at work - I will chase it tomorrow.
APB
26 April 2011, 17:55
Matt Graham
If you mean Langmead I beliee he has moed on or something.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

30 April 2011, 05:53
Fjold
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Dunno about that cob...whats dangerous sounding about a Cheyenne Tactical ..didnt George Armstrong C get them all at Little Big Horn?

Nope, the Cheyenne Tactical got George. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

10 August 2011, 03:15
Andyroo
Big Brother is watching you!
Just keep those Calibre restrictions out of New Zealand thank you very much.

'What am I aiming for?'
'I'll tell you when it gets there'

31 August 2011, 20:51
NitroX
My guess is the "Chief Inspector" has the initials JRB.

Shouldn't be too hard to track down.

And incredible how they don't give their names at the bottom of the letter. Got something to hide?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum
05 September 2011, 13:10
eagle27
But isn't he so proud of his division, he's mention "branch" often enough to make it a good sized tree. Just chainsaw it off at the base and be done with it. How pathetically ridiculous that letter.
07 September 2011, 21:12
Austin Hunter
I'm sure it would be long before Eric Holder has his own version. If he had his way, we'd be hunting with muzzle loaders and soft point 30-30s.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.
07 September 2011, 21:37
Peter
quote:
I'm sure it would be long before Eric Holder has his own version. If he had his way, we'd be hunting with muzzle loaders and soft point 30-30s.

Austin, do have some Eric Holder statements to back this up or are you just spouting the same 'ol Glenn Beck and Rush BS?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
10 September 2011, 04:59
George Semel
Interesting the 416 Remington Mag is considered high performance state of the art, it only performs the same as that other high performance cartridge of 1911 know as the 416 Rigby. 400 gr Bullet around 2400 fps. I guess he dose not hunt Buffalo the Water that you guys have or the Cape that the rest of us may get to hunt once in a while.
22 September 2011, 16:29
NitroX
The .416 Rem Mag was probably listed in error.

BTW when they started this shit, the cops were telling people to rebarrel .338 Lapua's to .340 or .338/378 Weatherby's ....

The guys I know whom had one before this stupidity all kept theirs btw.

John H.

22 September 2011, 20:33
Karl
Error in logic or adminstration problem remains the same. While it is on the list its a typhoid mary. Anything same performance as the poor old 416Remington can also be chipped away at in future.
27 September 2011, 14:26
NitroX
.416 Rigby is better anyway. Force those un-educated Remington lovers to choose a better classic cartridge. Wink

Oh well, I've now got a .404 Jeffery to play around with anyway. tu2

John H.

28 September 2011, 09:47
billinthewild
BATF clones moon

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt
29 September 2011, 22:49
Karl
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Force those un-educated Remington lovers to choose a better classic cartridge. Wink

We are always forced to choose other options after bans and restrictions.

Australias preference for taking that easy choice is why we always lose ground.
10 October 2011, 18:52
NitroX
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Force those un-educated Remington lovers to choose a better classic cartridge. Wink

We are always forced to choose other options after bans and restrictions.

Australias preference for taking that easy choice is why we always lose ground.

BTW do you know of even a SINGLE person whom has been denied a .416 Rem Mag rifle in SA?

John H.

12 October 2011, 02:35
Karl
No idea, but it was not the immediate intention of the letter anyway.

It requires extra 'justification' for certain calibres which is just as fucked on two counts.

Firstly its an attack on shooters with no basis, obviously, and lost ground for us. Secondly requiring extra justification means they don't even have to change a law to squeeze applications- aka it does not create a massive reaction amongts gunowners.

Example- how many 416owners have written in to complain, or any owner of the above calibres, lastly of all gunowners in general in SA to support their sport.

The answer is not enough while the letter remains. They are taking the easier option.