New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm back-with a little hunt report
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
The boy and I are exhausted but we've had a great time.

The first day was spent with the property owner as she showed us the boundaries.

We spotted a group of hinds in a little gully on the track but they were onto us and moved off. The next day we were on our own as the owner had to leave and go back to her other property. Jadam and I stalked back to the same spot that we saw the hinds in the day before, but didn't see anything so we crossed the creek and made our way up a small hill where my eagle eye son soon spotted a hind on the opposite hill.
She moved around the side out of sight and we stalked over (huffed and puffed up a bloody steep little hill side is more like it). We lost her on the hillside even though we could smell her at times. Up to the ridge top we then went and saw another group of hinds feeding around the top of the same ridge (the ridge top went in a semi circle if you know what I mean). Waiting until they fed around the spur we made our way along the top to the spot they were last seen and poked our heads over the ridge.
They were feeding down a bit lower and I left the boy up top and snuck down to a good position for a shot. I picked out a hind and the bullet hit her in the spine and down she went.

There was no way we could carry the whole animal out so I dropped the guts out and went for the truck, a couple of gullies later I was finally at the vehicle and a little buggered. It was another 2 km of me bush bashing to get the truck as close as possible and about 300 metres of climbing to get back to Jadam for the carry out.

There was a very cool breeze that day and it made for good conditions to hang the meat under a big old fig tree.

That night we went for a walk around camp and the young bloke bagged a few hares.

He got 5 in total, so with 5 hares and one deer we have plenty of meat. I’d bought a little vacuum sealer before the trip (yep I was that confident) and it was just the thing to package all the meat.

So there you have it. Deer aside I had a great time with my boy just spot lighting hares!

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7970 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's the way to spend quality time with your son and put some protein in the freezer. What rifle were you using? Looks like it was chilly, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Was a little cool Bill Big Grin

My rifle is my trusty sporter 6.5x55. I'm shooting factory ammo called Highlander which is cheap! Shoots a 139gr bullet.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7970 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
nice trip with the boy, it's good when they are interested in the outdoors a lot now aren't, Cool well done

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Well done mate . Those trips with your kids are better time spent than all the xbox games ever created .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
It was a good trip with the boy Muzza. Being away from his big brother for awhile changed his personality. We had a great time together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Tony.
Glad you got to share it with the boy alone.
Makes for better "stick 'em" that way.
He'll remember it for a long time. That's the goal, right?

Thanks for sharing, time to get back after it now.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Was that at Glenda's? Save some for me!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yes mate. As soon as I shot 6-7 other hinds bolted. They were hidden by a little gully, so plenty there. We also saw some Chital at the same spot as that doe we got when you were here, but they gave us the slip. We never got a chance to go after them, after the red as the wind was howling and was not in our favour.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to get back over there...that is such an idyllic place. did you bring a camper?

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
No we slept in mozzie domes near her caravan. Tried to go over and see Paul but he was out on his boat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chatted with Glenda this past weekend. She enjoyed your company. I think we will be heading back to OZ next year...as long as I don't have to fly to Perth too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report Bakes.
I have a 13 year old son who I intend to do lots of this stuff with.
Thanks for the post.
Cheers
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote