New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kiwi's did you know...
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I have a book called "The Sports Afield book of hunting and shooting records and facts" and it states that in 1923 a kiwi farmer was permitted to shoot red deer off his fields and in 5 days he killed 667.

What was his highest tally for a single day?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure he wasn't shagging
his girl friend for long!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the veracity of that. 1923 seems a bit early for such numbers given most releases were not until around 1900-1912. And numbers seem a bit high given best cullers thought a 100 deer day was huge.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Sports Afield book of hunting and shooting records and facts

A synopsis with more "figures"

Did you know that a single German prince in the 1600s killed more than 31,000 wild boars over his lifetime? Have you heard of Sasha Siemel, who dispatched some 300 jaguars using only a spear? Did you know that the biggame animal that lives at the highest altitude is not a wild sheep or ibex, but a yak? Or that the longest recorded successful shot at a prairie dog is 3,125 yards? Incredible but True is an entertaining and eclectic collection of remarkable feats, surprising facts, interesting trivia, and sensational coincidences from the world of big-game hunting, bird hunting, and shooting. This is a collection of historical anecdotes, not a comprehensive book of records of trophies or game bags of the world; its goal is to present surprising and interesting facts about animals and hunters, as well as amazing and outstanding feats from the field. Gathered from a wide variety of sources, the stories come from Europe and Asia as well as North and South America, and anecdotes range from amazing and impressive to shocking and hilarious. In short, they are incredible, but true.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That's the one. Its actually pretty interesting. You have to take it with a grain of salt and the author says that. But the size of the bags and such are huge.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
That’s why we have so few now Big Grin

Small numbers Lord Ripon 556,812 Head of Game

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah the book has a break down of his "Score". Twas a different world back then. Wink

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Twas a different world back then.

Yep,caged birds that dont fly like a wild bird bred to be swatted by some old lord laying back on his shooting seat while his boys hand him his loaded guns in turn.

They are still on it and I bet half of them couldn't hit an Aussie Teal flying through trees at 80mph.

https://whoownsengland.org/201...on-pheasants-a-year/

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Yeah the book has a break down of his "Score". Twas a different world back then. Wink

Still happening today Wink

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote