New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absolutely great day on the water
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Caught a stonker of the bream AND dropped one bigger at the boat. A Flathead, Tailor and two more bream rounded out the day.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! What are those Bream like to eat?

Posts: 4216 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Pretty good Shanks. Nice white flesh, similar to snapper. I do like flathead better though.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not really a fisherman but I'd call that a day well spent if it was my catch. I love fresh fish. Good one Bakes.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1997 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wondered that, as its a very similar looking fish, and Im pretty sure the snapper that we know here, is a member of the bream family.

Posts: 4216 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Different family mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthopagrus_australis

https://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Spe...r/Pages/default.aspx

They live in similar areas though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, now you have me confused. Those links say they are both Sparidae

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ah I wasn't looking at the family name, you are correct Shanks.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
To cut to the chase, are these destined to be prepared over Charcoal, baked or fried in some manner?
I think I would like to try some of each prepared in all manner.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
To cut to the chase, are these destined to be prepared over Charcoal, baked or fried in some manner?
I think I would like to try some of each prepared in all manner.

The flathead will be filleted and skinned battered and fried (I love flathead). The bream are good all the was you listed. The Tailor (You call them Bluefish I believe) are good eaten fresh (I've given it to a friend who love them already Big Grin)