New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy course with photo's
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Just completed a short taxidermy course. I'll post some pics tomorrow for a critique Wink

Now its still drying but I reckon it looks pretty good- This was the spiker I took with my son. As I wanted to do the course I thought I'd cape it out and mount it instead of using a supplied fallow cape. Although small (it was tasty) and had some meaning to me as it was a hunt with my son.

On the ground

As there is no spiker for forms we used a heavily modified coues deer form

We added the preobital glands/pits, shaved down the neck and shoulders and nose a bit

Being sewn up

Because the pedicle bones are so small the nails used normally got in the way while stitching so we wrapped them and zip tied them to keep them in place.

On the wall drying

I still have some tweaking to do and finishing off with paint etc in about two weeks or so

What do you think...be gentle Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Excellent first mount.

I started to type a critique with a couple of gentle stabs and then thought stow it as any taxidermy effort from me would be a major fail.

I know of quite a few fellas that are now major contributors to the mounting game in Vic especially. They started just like you did Bakesy and are now full time pro`s. There is life after the military.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Not even thinking of a career after I retire mate. I don't like people enough to deal with them Big Grin

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Bakes is on record as stating he wanted to mount a pig so anything is possible...

Well done , not something I have ever thought of doing

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good! Seen worse from some "professionals".

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I'll post some pics when its finished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty good start Bakes.

Is this your first stab at it?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yes mate. Been wanting to start for years but didn't have the confidence. Found a local guy that did courses and just had to find the time.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Your deer is a ripper.
I think this bloke used the wrong skull.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Nah....ears are wrong rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odocoileus Vampiris. Now that would be a hunting adventure.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is great work for your first attempt!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate. It was a lot of fun