Notify
Tools

Changes to Victoria storage requirements
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Got this in my inbox the other day.

Changes to firearm storage laws
Changes to firearm storage laws take effect from 30 August 2022. The changes will affect all current and future firearm owners.

What you need to know
From 30 August, all longarms (categories A, B, C, and D) must be stored:
1. In a purpose-built storage receptacle
2. Built of steel with a thickness of at least 1.6mm
3. Locked with a lock of sturdy construction when firearms are stored in it
4. If the receptacle weighs less than 150 kilograms when empty, it must be bolted to the structure of the premises
Most firearm owners will already store their firearms in compliance with the changes or may only need to make minor adjustments.

What you need to do
Before 30 August, all firearm owners must:
• check their storage arrangements, and
• make any changes or upgrades as necessary
Under the new laws, receptacles constructed of hardwood or metal (other than steel at least 1.6mm thick) are not acceptable.

For more information visit our firearm storage information page.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
STORAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR POLITICIANS BRAINS.

An empty head with 2 cubic millimeters capacity!

This amp space to store the required brain, and allow a 200% empty space around d it to cushion it. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
At least, as far as I can see, there are no further specifications on bolting the gun case down. In Tasmania the case has to have two fastenings to the wall and two into the floor, a situation that pretty much excludes anyone renting from owning a gun. Hopefully, Labor states will not buy into such inegalitarian legislation. WA is of course beyond the Pale.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Actually its not quite that bad here, If your safe weighs more than ( I could be wrong about the actual weight ) 160 Kg and the weight(s) is non removeable, you don't have to bolt it down....I welded squares of heavy checkerplate into the bottom of mine. Also you can share a safe with someone with the same category license.
From what Bakes posted, its only a 16ga / 1.6mm thickness in Vic, ours is 3mm, not a big deal, I just folded one up to their specs with 5 tumbler keyed locks ( abut $55 each x 3 ) and welded non removeable hinges.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that will easier to have a central storage ... nothing to worry about lol ... good luck we re getting there too ...

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Very similar ruling for firearm storage that we have here. Quite frankly if anyone can afford one or a few good firearms, the cost is very little compared to the value of the firearms for a properly made safe with recessed door and hinges and multi tumbler locks along top, bottom and non hinged side of the door.

We don't have to have a proper safe, can use a stoutly made cabinet provided it has hinges and locking devices that cannot easily be overcome.

In all cases the firearm storage facility has to be bolted to the floor and wall. I don't see an issue with rented properties, most allow shelving and bench space to be installed in garaging where a safe or cabinet can easily be bolted in.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I live in the US and am uber pro-gun rights and own a lot of them.

With that said, I think we in the US need to do more to secure our weapons - without government oversight, of course.

Every weapon I have is kept either in my walk-in vault or in a gun specific, quick access safe if outside of the vault room.

I'm amazed by the number of friends that have had pistols stolen from their center consoles in their locked cars. No console safe. It angers me to no end that they were not a responsible gun owner and their gun is now on the street. Grrrrrrrrr.

Or, kids in a house (either their own or a friend's) find a loaded gun and shoot someone on accident. I don't know of anyone personally that this has happened to, but just horrific.

Secure your weapons from the guilty and innocent.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote