New
Find
Notify
Tools

More birds. pigeons this time.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I spent an enjoyable afternoon shooting pigeons from layout blinds with a Top predator today.
the place we shoot for some reason does not seem to let the birds decoy well, and its challenging shooting at decent range and fast moving birds. We picked up about 30, and shot another 20 that went down in the surrounding paddocks.
It was also a poignant experience, as a very good mate of ours died in a tractor accident on Sunday. The gun I was using I bought from him, and the ammo was from his upland game property.
Was good to shoot and talk about him a bit remembering things.

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That's a good little haul, pigeon pie?

Sorry to hear about your mate, tragically still too many tractor accidents happening on farms today despite advances in ROPs, seatbelts, enclosed drive shafts, etc.

Spent my teenage years on a big state farm, 6000 acres, a lot of rough steep country and shudder when I think back to driving tractors up hills so steep using the transport tray to prevent roll over backwards and the individual wheel brakes to steer with and spades on the rear wheels for good traction.

Still the deer hunting was superb, used to supplement my old mans wages with 50 or so red deer every spring through to the roar.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done mate! I love hunting dove and pigeons.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers guys. Yep pigeon hunting is something i dont do often enough. its great fun and even a low numbers day has plenty of action. Those rock pigeons are tough little buggers too, and can take a hit!

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the shift Shanks.
At least now with cabs and roll bars the attrition rate on tractors isn't what it was in the good old days. When I grew up in a little cul de sac in a Gloucestershire village, four of us lads went onto farms at about the same time. By the time I was 21 I was the only one still alive.
One of my first jobs in NZ as a relief milker was sorting out a situation in Northland where the farm manager had rolled a MF65 with stuffed brakes. He was trapped underneath with a broken back and he suffocated his assistant caught underneath him. I arrived the next day to a herd full of mastitis and the only tractor available was the old MF65. The farm owners in Auckland moaned at the bill when I took the tractor into the garage to have the brakes fixed.
I still get into a bit of a slide every year when spreading fert on my steep deer paddocks in the BOP.
Off to Namibia next week!

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Do you eat them Shanks?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
Good luck with the shift Shanks.
At least now with cabs and roll bars the attrition rate on tractors isn't what it was in the good old days. When I grew up in a little cul de sac in a Gloucestershire village, four of us lads went onto farms at about the same time. By the time I was 21 I was the only one still alive.
One of my first jobs in NZ as a relief milker was sorting out a situation in Northland where the farm manager had rolled a MF65 with stuffed brakes. He was trapped underneath with a broken back and he suffocated his assistant caught underneath him. I arrived the next day to a herd full of mastitis and the only tractor available was the old MF65. The farm owners in Auckland moaned at the bill when I took the tractor into the garage to have the brakes fixed.
I still get into a bit of a slide every year when spreading fert on my steep deer paddocks in the BOP.
Off to Namibia next week!

Yep, had a few close calls on an Fergie 65 myself, and my father got thrown clear on a mccormack 85 that let cab cage flat with seat and steering wheel after it stopped rolling. Hill country and tractors are a risk that we seem to accept as part of our job.
Im fairly cautious these days though. Having had my scares and dont want any more. Got too much I want to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Do you eat them Shanks?

These ones I wont, I have put them in freezer whole as first of the season, I want to use them as decoys for next few shoots. From now on I will be eating them though. They are a very nice meat!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
When in Germany many moons ago I used to go to a restaurant when staying with some friends where we always had a main of pigeon. The chef boned out a whole pigeon encased it in a flake pastry and baked it. It retained the shape of a whole pigeon and with accompaniments was superb eating. Maybe this was what is called pigeon pie.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote