THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Most popular calibres in your state or region?

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most popular calibres in your state or region?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I once a asked a few North QLD gunstores what they sold the most of, not including shotguns, and in this order it was

1. 22LR
2. 223
3. 308
4. 30-30
5. The rest of the common centrefires, 243, 270, 30-06, etc and 303 still got a good showing too.

I remember talking to blokes from Vic who felt 30-06 was higher on the list for them. Is this still the case? Up here it is seen but much less popular than the top options shown

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I felt like when I lived in Canberra that everyone had a roo and fox rifle which was probably some kind of 204 Ruger, 223, 22-250 and that lot.

They had a lightweight deer rifle 7mm-08-30-06 and then those that worked on sambar regularly had some kind of cannon.

As an American in Australia I felt like every single Australian hunter I knew had killed about 50 times more animals than I would ever kill in a lifetime of hunting in America.

American gun writers write a story about a new cartridge blow through maybe 60-100 rounds of factory ammo on their test, and go and shoot a deer with it and call it a winner.

Australian gun writers shoot 300 kangaroos, and 200 pigs with it and are not sure.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmore is getting talked about more these days by people I've talked to. Young troop wants to get into hunting and said he wants one, I tried to steer him to the 6.5x55 Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I felt like when I lived in Canberra that everyone had a roo and fox rifle which was probably some kind of 204 Ruger, 223, 22-250 and that lot.

They had a lightweight deer rifle 7mm-08-30-06 and then those that worked on sambar regularly had some kind of cannon.

As an American in Australia I felt like every single Australian hunter I knew had killed about 50 times more animals than I would ever kill in a lifetime of hunting in America.

American gun writers write a story about a new cartridge blow through maybe 60-100 rounds of factory ammo on their test, and go and shoot a deer with it and call it a winner.

Australian gun writers shoot 300 kangaroos, and 200 pigs with it and are not sure.

BWW one of the few advantages of the Australian situation was pretty much limitless hunting. It has gotten a bit tougher in the last few years with less access to properties and our national parks often being protected areas. I understand our state of Victoria can shoot in national parks these day, someone will probably verify or correct me on that. In my state Queensland it can be harder, especially for new young hunters to get a start- the land is either national park, which is strictly no access for shooting, or privately owned. If they dont have family contacts or close friends with acreage, they beg and scrape to build the relationships to find places to shoot. Property owners are less amenable to random people shooting on their blocks of course these days due to hooliganism and the liability issues. How I understand the US works is many areas you are allowed to shoot in the parks, aka state or govermment land, as well as privately owned areas(with permission)

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
There is a season on Sambar in the Vic Alpine National Park. No other hunting permitted in any other National Park, and no hunting of other species permitted. So if you are hunting sambar in the ANP during the season, but encounter a pig or a fox, it is illegal to shoot them.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

BWW one of the few advantages of the Australian situation was pretty much limitless hunting. It has gotten a bit tougher in the last few years with less access to properties and our national parks often being protected areas. I understand our state of Victoria can shoot in national parks these day, someone will probably verify or correct me on that. In my state Queensland it can be harder, especially for new young hunters to get a start- the land is either national park, which is strictly no access for shooting, or privately owned. If they dont have family contacts or close friends with acreage, they beg and scrape to build the relationships to find places to shoot. Property owners are less amenable to random people shooting on their blocks of course these days due to hooliganism and the liability issues. How I understand the US works is many areas you are allowed to shoot in the parks, aka state or govermment land, as well as privately owned areas(with permission)

Karl, it was changing when I lived there. I know NSW had some changes that had opened up state forest (Nov 2010- Nov 2013). I don't know the status of any of that today.

I hunted Victoria, NSW and a little bit in the southern part of the ACT. Mostly foxing and shooting roos on farms in NSW and the ACT. Shot F-Open most weekends at the NRA 1000 yard range near the airport.

The American situation has about 20 different versions of access. The most well known is the idea of public land ownership on National Forest systems, Bureau of Land Management administered lands, Military bases (there are quite a few that allow hunting), National Wildlife refuge administered lands, and then the states have public lands as well. There are non-profit held lands like the Nature Concernvancy that allow hunting, and private timber companies in the North Eastern USA, North Western USA and other places where you can pay to hunt for a small fee. We also have situations like Texas where there is very little public own land, and paying for some kind of a hunting lease is the normal thing to do. This is common throughout the USA, but most common in areas with shortages of public lands.

The problem in the USA is that all wildlife except migratory birds are owned by the state they live in.

Most states manage wildlife for one of three outcomes;
1. Quality experience. Lots of wildlife, open to a large number of hunters but no focus on trophy quality. But high success rate. These are typically only for the female of the species in alternate seasons to use below. As in October is buck or bull season and November is doe or cow season.
2. Trophy Quality. Lots of wildlife, open to a very small number of hunters focusing on trophy quality.
3. Hunter participation. Lots of hunter attendance with no focus on trophy quality or success rates.
They are also managed for mixed outcomes. In Washington they have spike tags for elk and they sell an unlimited number of them, cow tags are hard to get, and bull tags take years of applying to get all in the same unit.

We have almost all states except; Alaska, Idaho and New Mexico in the west and many back east. On some kind of silly points program, that was great if you got in on the ground floor but as time goes on it has become impossible to move anywhere as demand far exceeds supply, and the backlog of hunters with maximum points continues to grow.

There are tags for animals available over the counter, but this is generally not the case in every states. Some states are 100% lottery for tags.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am from NZ

22LR & 223 or 222 have been most common for the last 50 years I guess.

I have been here 28 years and in the early days 243 Win was among the most common common caliber in Deer stalkers' club hunts. Around the late 90s it became 308 and the 7mm08.

I've seen that trend in the gun stores as well. the 270Win hangs in there at no 3 or 4.

You see more of the longer range & larger calibers in the South island.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11005 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of loaned rifles in New Zealand, for centrefire I saw lots of 222 and 243, and 7 Mag for the heavies.

Of course if Top Predator was around he'd screw up the average by shooting his 375 H&H or the Rigby for feral goats

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It makes gradual and sometime temporary changes in the USA, and its geographical also..but your figures are about average over the years

222 then 223

30-30 then to the 30-06 and 270

308 came on with a bang.

7x57 and 7-08 showed a little pick up about this time but the 7x57 has been pretty consitant but not setting the world on fire.

The 25s barely hanging in there as well as the 338-06 and 35 whelen.

Elk hunters gradually moved from 30-06 and 270 to the .338 Win. and that is continueing at a steady move. Its here to stay., the others are not..

Surprisingly the 9..3x62 has a showing and seems to be catching on and deservedly so.

The creedmore is hotcakes and on the move, will it stand the test of time, maybe, maybe not, hard to say but Im betting on it even though its not my cup of tea..I sticking with the dieing 250-3000

Thats just the way Ive seen it over the years, right or wrong? who knows..Most of the AR members hang with the odd caliber as well as the gut nuts. I like the 250-3000, 25-35, 257 Robts, 7x57, 30-06 375 and 9.3x62 so Im not in the big loop.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The SSAA seems to think the .223 and 308 Win are the most popular calibres in Australia but I would think almost everybody has a 22LR.

Maybe 10 or 20 per cent of Victoria, however, is wooded mountainous public land, much of it inhabited by sambar and open to hunting without grovelling to land owners. Therefore, calibres like the .30-06, 300 magnums, 338WM, 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 are quite common down here.

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bit surprised that the .243 isn’t higher up the list. It still seems popular in Queensland for new shooters wanting an all purpose centrefire with low recoil. It’s proponents often don’t seem to want to chase anything larger than a once a year pig even when deer are on their doorstep.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
Bit surprised that the .243 isn’t higher up the list. It still seems popular in Queensland for new shooters wanting an all purpose centrefire with low recoil. It’s proponents often don’t seem to want to chase anything larger than a once a year pig even when deer are on their doorstep.

Yeah that is a top little calibre for the lady folk sofa dancing

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If my family is anything to go by has to be 7mm-08. Just picked up another Marlin XS rifle in 7mm-08 for my third son who got interested in hunting after getting a GSP pup earlier this year and accompanying me on a pukeko drive (NZ gamebird) and the tail end of our duck season. He scored a few birds of both varieties using my shotguns and is hooked. In the process of getting his firearms licence and wants to accompany me and his two brothers on our annual duck shooting opening weekend and later winter tahr hunt next year.

I got a Marlin XS in perfect condition with camo stock, suppressor, very good Simmons scope, camo gun bag and sling plus a brand new box of ammo at a real good price for him. He just needs a bipod to complete the package.

I have an identical black stocked Marlin, the older boy a Rem 700 SPS and the youngest a Weatherby Vanguard all in 7mm-08.

All have suppressors and bipods fitted apart from deaf old dad who gave up his Rem 700 to the older boy, his bipod and Leupold scope to the younger and now purchased the camo Marlin for the middle boy. Bloody good on a hunt and in camp sitting back with a beer at the end of the day while the boys light up the fire and cook the meals.

I see more 7mm-08s on the range and in the field than any other cartridge these days.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the 7-08 is prevalent in NZ, Eagle. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the easy winner here, with the .30-06 a close second among hunting cartridges, as this is elk country. See a lot of .308 brass, but much of it is military ball being run through Ar-10s and other semi-autos. Of course, the bulk of ammo fired at our local shooting range continues to be 9mm and .223.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a really interesting thread. I created a similar thread a while back.

Here in Northern Utah, everyone is obsessed with the 6.6 Creedmore. It is by far the most popular choice.
My son bought one and likes it but he is taking a .300 Win elk hunting this weekend Smiler

About 2 years back, I was at our local Sporting Goods store in Northern Utah- Sportsman's Warehouse. I was looking
at some rifles that were on clearance. There were 3 rifles I believe and they were 30-06 Browning X-Bolts or A-Bolts (I
cannot remember which). They had them listed for $275! If I am off on that price I am sure it was under $300 but
believe that this was the correct price. I asked the Sales Associate why they were so inexpensive. He told me that
they could not sell them. I am still kicking myself for not buying all of them. I never find new guns for deals like that.

Its hard to understand the thought process...

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jason, I worked at Sportsman's back 12 years ago. I have to admit I just never warmed to the Browning bolt guns. Can't say why.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't think anything much about the modern bolt-action Brownings, Bill, but would love to find a good old one with the Mauser action. Is it possible others are also still in mourning its passing?

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Jason, I worked at Sportsman's back 12 years ago. I have to admit I just never warmed to the Browning bolt guns. Can't say why.

First off, I’m the last person that you’d want to take gun advice from. However, I love the Browning action and do not know why they are not more popular. But, that’s another top8c in itself

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

First off, I’m the last person that you’d want to take gun advice from. However, I love the Browning action and do not know why they are not more popular. But, that’s another top8c in itself

They damn sure are accurate.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting that the 7-08 is prevalent in NZ, Eagle. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the easy winner here, with the .30-06 a close second among hunting cartridges, as this is elk country. See a lot of .308 brass, but much of it is military ball being run through Ar-10s and other semi-autos. Of course, the bulk of ammo fired at our local shooting range continues to be 9mm and .223.

The 7mm calibre has always been popular here, with the 7x57 holding fort for a long time with the English BSA and European BRNOs being affordable rifles, both common in 7x57. In the magnums the 7x61 was surprisingly popular considering it was only available in the higher priced Danish Schultz and Larsen rifles. The 7mm-08 has taken over the 7x57 place and the 7mm Rem Mag likewise over the 7x61.

The 7mm Rem Mag is very popular here for those hunting open spaces and alpine regions with the 300 Win Mag about the same in popularity for the same type of hunting.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote