New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morning Wandering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Result of my wanderings this morning. Actually got 6 but one ducked down a warren hole and I couldn't reach it. Lots of fur and bits on the ground though so I would say it died underground.
Another one I shot from behind. I think the bullet raked along the belly line opening up the intestinal cavity before penetrating behind the shoulder and exiting on the opposite side. Some intestine, some liver and a heap of fur at the impact point. Amazingly this Rabbit flopped about 15 yards to it's burrow before dying in the entrance. Easy recovery.
Saw a few others but you never get them all.
Sako M591 .243W

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't done it in ages, but used to love an evenings bunny hunting. Especially with a .22 they can be quite good fun to get within range of.

have been out shooting possums the last few nights. getting about 25-30 a night.

Posts: 4206 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Great outing and pictures, thanks for sharing.
Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good sized little buggers! Fun stuff.

Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
You skinning the possums shanks?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plucking them. You get less money overall, but its quick and you dont have to worry about carting bodies or fleshing skins. Price is low right now, but have about 5-7 kg in the bag.

Posts: 4206 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
how many $$ per kilo shanks?
You could knit me a jumper ha ha ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 90 at the moment. I work on 20 possums per kg.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
You are doing NZ a favour and helping your pocket too.No frigging about pegging them out just plucking is good.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
How hard are they to pluck Shanks?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do them straight away then not too hard. can do one in a couple of minutes. But if you are greedy like me, and there are 7 to be shot, then by the time you get to the 4th one they are getting colder and your fingers are starting to feel it. usually I try and do no more than 3 at once if I can help it. They tend to sit tight if treed, but if on the ground they run, so you have to nail everything grounded pretty quick.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
shanks at the height of the fur days old Tassy mate Kelvin shot 400 in one night and kept 200 as the rest were downgraded skins he labelled "rumpy"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldnt do it here, as most of this country you have to walk over to hunt. Big night could probably do 100.

Bakes, is there a way to split this topic from the original? As Im feeling like we have distracted the discussion from 30-06's hunt. Appologies Grant.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I`m sure Grant hasnt taken offence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know. Just didn't mean to change the subject.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
No problem whatsoever.
I enjoy varied input from everybody, on or off topic. Interesting what can sometimes be learnt.
Seems to be the AR way. Cool
Carry on if you like.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Nice of you Grant. To get back on topic then, I really have to fine me a place to hunt rabbits. I do miss it. Won't be using a .243 however rotflmo I'm looking at a air rifle for my grandson, I may try that out on the bunnies.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep cheers Grant.

Next time im out Ill try get some photos. We are too wet here for rabbits, and if we do get a dry spell and they start to breed, the Calici virus wipes them out. Always like to see the few that survive, so tend not to shoot them nowadays. But we have heaps of hares, which are pretty good eating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hares aren't effected by the virus?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The place I shoot most Rabbits is a farm on which there is a rifle range. It's maintained by a small local club but I have club and landowner approval to use it as long as I shoot my own targets and don't cause any interference of club use. The farmer / landowner is a very decent guy and let's me shoot whenever his cows aren't in those particular paddocks. One or two other individuals also periodically use the range so occasionally we meet and work around each others programmes on the day but most of the time I've got the run of the range and can take my time.
Some years ago I offered to help the farmer with Rabbit control and did some night shooting. Never huge numbers but always good outings, then the Rabbits seemed to just disappear for several years ( Calci virus ? ) and I wasn't shooting any. I switched to mornings and continued shooting a few Hares here and there which I am not as hard on as they are fewer and a bit less damaging than Rabbits, here at least anyway. Over the last two years particularly Rabbits are making a noticeable comeback. Maybe dry Summers help and when they get going numbers increase quickly. The farmer renews his pasture regularly which entices them perhaps ? Probably not good for the farmer but great for my morning jaunts. I'll shoot any Rabbit I see that presents a safe shot. It doesn't matter how many as when they are breeding strongly you never keep up. In my younger days I did a lot of Rabbit shooting with a Ruger 22 Win Mag and close stalking. These days I both stalk in close and snipe out to 200 plus yards. That's where a good .243W shines with an accurate load. Despite the shot report a small group of Rabbits often won't scatter giving a chance to pick off one or two more. It's also a great substitute for bigger rifle handling, keeping muscle memory and trigger familiarisation. At least, that's what I tell myself Big Grin. We don't eat Rabbits at home so no concerns about .243W meat damage, which can be considerable. So, helping the farmer, getting rifle use practise but mostly just enjoying something I love - wandering and hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
theback40
posted 14 June 2021 09:21 Hide Post
The hares aren't effected by the virus?

No, I don't think so. Shanks would know for sure but from my observations of where Calci Virus decimated Rabbit numbers the Hares seemed to still be about. Where I shoot I think Hares actually increased numbers somewhat when Rabbit numbers were very low.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shirley just called me into the bedroom and I thought I was in luck on a wet day but she had seen a rabbit in the garden. I shoot them on sight but when I watched the bunny smaller than my fist looking miserable in the wet nibbling our lawn I put the rifle back in the safe.
Must really be getting old!

Posts: 281 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new K strain of the virus is touted to jump to Hares, but the original strain doesn't.
Not sure which it was, but either that or Myxomatosis has jumped species in the UK I think, and is starting to affect the hares? I think.

3006, I agree. Its a great way to practice. Im always shooting better after a stint on pest control. Small targets. And if you can hit a possum in the brain at 25, you can hit a deer at 100.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Looking across my driveway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you run a rabbit sanctuary?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez Gryph !
I heard you don't own a lawnmower ! Eeker Big Grin

Do they come running when you rattle the carrot bucket ? rotflmo Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Pom
posted 14 June 2021 12:22
Shirley just called me into the bedroom and I thought I was in luck on a wet day but she had seen a rabbit in the garden. I shoot them on sight but when I watched the bunny smaller than my fist looking miserable in the wet nibbling our lawn I put the rifle back in the safe.
Must really be getting old!

Sounds like the Rabbit had more luck than you did. Being summoned to the boudoir like that can over excite and confuse a guy. Oh well... God loves a trier !

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
My nieces roll them with a 17 HMR or a 22,head shots only. They love to eat them besides shooting them.

Fattening young `uns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Much more like it.
Great seeing girls and ladies involved in shooting sports.
Good of you to encourage that Gryph.
Cheers

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
06 the two nieces (mum + kid) will be here in the school holidays. Mumsie can bring her own .270 and hopefully crack her first deer along with some `berts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Kath can show us the shooting training you have been doing lol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As promised I took a couple of pics from this evenings possum shooting. First two were as soon as we left the car. Second pic, there is a tree in the area we hunted tonight that always is good for a few. It didnt disappoint tonight either. Photo is of kathrin starting to pluck them... Im a lucky guy!
27 picked up and two lost for the night.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Fuck yeah they are big and very fat possums shanks,obviously at the expense of your native flora and fauna.Good job cobber.

Btw did you ever see the news reports of the certain "ethnic" community in Vic that were buying possums from Tassy to use in their commercial restaurants? No one knew at the time lol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, and our paddocks. this will be 70 shot in two nights.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Go a bit harder and crack the ton mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trouble is i have to work next day. Try and limit it to 2 or 2.5 hours a night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And as for eating it. I got stuck half way up a mountain with no way back to camp one winter night. Found a good dry log to sleep under and keep the snow off me, and got a fire going. Silly old possum comes too close and there is dinner..... Bloody greasy shit that actually the fat kept catching fire. Not my first choice of meat for sure.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
better than a ferret ha ha