New
Find
Notify
Tools

A day of culling.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Top Predator and I did a day on cleaning up some problem animals that ended at midnight last night. It started with ourselves and my partners daughter cleaning up 20 goats from a couple of mobs. Got some more to do though, as there were at least another 60 to 70 in other groups.
Then home for dinner and out for possums. I guess we shot 25-30, but the plucking was bloody horrible! So when we found a lone doe on one of my new crops, I decided i needed some venison and a 50 meter headshot had her down and out. From there we headed back to car, cleaning up a few more possums on the way.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

I love spotlighting.
Do you ever use thermal optics or night vision?

Zeke

PS: What's that big critter on your back? We don't have anything around my parts that looks like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the deer he shot with his .22

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, fallow deer doe.

I dont generally hunt big game at night. This was just one of those chance occasions where I saw it and decided I wanted some meat. I have borrowed thermal when I have had serious pig problems, and it is handy. But overall I wish the damned stuff was banned.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good to see you, no photo of James' smiling face?

Just kidding, he sent me some pics. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting is too serious to smile. Wink

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
James smiles internally behind the "Winston Churchill" bluff exterior....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He uses the V sign in the same manor.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year Shanks and well done on the clean up.
Q - on the thermal night vision ..... why do you say or wish that it should be banned ?
Here in Europe it is legal and has lead to more positive IDs of quarry at night and better shooting and kills than in the days when people shot at black shapes at night hoping that they had the head and arse
bits in the right order / place! Also leads to a lot of potential abuse granted, but all in all
I am in favour .....

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well its the number one tool, combined with moderators, for the poachers. Its now so damn hard to know its happening. Its also becoming so prevalent that its replacing skill with ease. And its so effective. You get on a hill and you can see every animal within a K or more. walk up in dark, and kill them.