Find
Notify
Tools

Pumpkin Rollers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Don't here the term much these days, but the old guns still have a place in the hunters battery. Planning this years winter hunt for pigs. Just trying to decide which of the old guns I should take?

L to R: 38/55, 40/65, 45/70, 50/70, 577 Super Snider and 22 Hornet

11 Shots with the 50/70

The Super Snider is accurate for pigs, 10 shots at 75yds.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The Snider Wink. I'll be chasing pigs and deer up your way when I get home as well. Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The .38-55 should be be enough and, with less recoil, allow quicker repeat shots. It might also shoot flatter for the long shots, too.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 40-65 would be a fine choice

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
What a great selection of old timers, can we see pics of the rifles that shoot em ?

Why is the .577 Snider Super ?

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
T to B: 45/70, 45/90, 50/70, 50/90 and 40/65

The "Super Snider" so named because we can now load a full cases of black powder i.e.95gns over a 620gn bullet.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you very nice to see, is there a .450No 2 Musket there ?

My Snider sporter boots like hell with a full case of black .

I started to make BP & when I asked a buddy about his found he is making it better than any you can buy, truly amazing, so I now use his, I can fire a full case in Plastic 24ga shotshells & cleaner the Nitro !!!

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote