New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big day cooking
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Did up some venison shanks in beer (Bloody good it was to!) as well as some venison and pork sausages. All up about 13kg of mince and snags.

First use of my new sausage stuffer

4kg of snags

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
They look really good snags !
Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The meat tastes good. Mix is about 8kg of venison, 4kg-ish of pork shoulder and 2kg of pork fat.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice all right. Have just done a batch of venison sausages with no added fat and bay leaves, garlic, celery seed annnnd a massive dose of red wine. Will be my go to recipe now as they came out really rich and tasty and the wine /moisture content has kept them from being too dry.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
quote:
The meat tastes good. Mix is about 8kg of venison, 4kg-ish of pork shoulder and 2kg of pork fat.

Thanks for the mix, I will keep a note of that as have a few Kgs of venison in the freezer.

Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The seasoning I used was herb and red wine. Got that from Toowoomba Butcher Supplies.

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
The seasoning sounds good, although I might put a splash of real red wine in the mix Smiler

Pete

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Who did the snag linking Bakesey? They look very pro and even.

The Snag Bros are heading here this month with 20-30 KGs of pork fat to add to the veni that i have been shooting recently.
We (they) are doing snags and also salami`s which btw come out a real treat. They only get better as new recipes are tried.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I did Gryph. Watched it on Scott Rea’s YouTube channel. I would like to do a salami but it scares me a little. I do want to do my own bacon at some stage.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
You did well.
My mates are self taught snag and salami makers and you can do it too although the humid Qld climate isnt that good for the cure but there are ways about that too.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about. Ted Mitchell makes a venison salami up here but he has a lot more experience. Perhaps I need a posting down to East Sale!