New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roar Hunting affected by CV-19 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
NZDA and GAC asking roar hunters to stay home rather than proceed with hunting trips. Very difficult to take for the many who plan this major hunt every year. Personally, I'm more of a post roar hunter these days so praying travel restrictions have eased by May. I feel for the guys having to postpone roar trips this year. I have fond memories from younger days of the great fun enjoyed with good mates.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
PM was just asked on TV about hunting, she didn’t say no. Hell I may vote her Big Grin

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Careful TP. We won't be doing any hunting if our rifles get taken. I'm not convinced her politics has changed on this.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I saw that, she was asked point blank about going hunting & didn't say not to !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Jacindagrad.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
one of us

posted 25 March 2020 22:49
I saw that, she was asked point blank about going hunting & didn't say not to !

An item on TV1 last night directly referred to backcountry activity - hunting, tramping, camping etc... Said DOC has closed ( all ? ) huts as minimum personal distancing is not possible and SAR doesn't want to be responding to emergencies under current restrictions. Also, I think under the lockdown one is allowed to move only a certain distance from one's place of shelter unless for essential activity. I guess this won't affect lucky hunters with deer on their doorstep ( farmers etc. ) but guys like me need to travel so I'm shit out of luck for a while!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
While people are encouraged to do some outdoor exercise this should only be within walking distance of their home and within their own family bubble, not interacting with others. Obviously if on your own land hunting and fishing would be okay, similarly I live next to a tidal haven, a walk down the drive and across the state highway and I can boat or kayak. Hunting, fishing, tramping, mountain biking, etc. in general are out.
Police and military are due to start stopping people who moving and travelling about to check on reasons for it.
I'm in essential services so have a pass for movement related to work. Vehicle travel to supermarkets, medical attention and supplies etc is okay but heading out with rifle on board and camo gear on is likely to end up as a quick trip to the police cells as this lock-down proceeds.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle,
Hope you stay safe while continuing to work. My wife and son are also in essential services and continue to work while remembering, hopefully, to keep a safe distance from workmates and customers. I'm retired, staying home and can occupy myself with stuff therein but being unable to get out for any shooting is tough. I'm trying to keep my mind off that. In these circumstances four weeks seems an awfully long time.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Eagle,
Hope you stay safe while continuing to work. My wife and son are also in essential services and continue to work while remembering, hopefully, to keep a safe distance from workmates and customers. I'm retired, staying home and can occupy myself with stuff therein but being unable to get out for any shooting is tough. I'm trying to keep my mind off that. In these circumstances four weeks seems an awfully long time.

Thanks 30.06, the ordinary flu vaccine has now just become available and as a priority person having had chemotherapy, albeit 18 years ago, I got notified yesterday and received a free jab today.
Supposedly malarial treatment (quinine) has shown some effectiveness against Covid so I'm really hitting the gin and tonics, probably fail a work D&A test beer

Hope everyone on AR comes through this okay and we can get back to the serious business of hunting.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eagle27
one of us
Picture of eagle27
posted 26 March 2020 18:11

Thanks 30.06, the ordinary flu vaccine has now just become available and as a priority person having had chemotherapy, albeit 18 years ago, I got notified yesterday and received a free jab today.
Supposedly malarial treatment (quinine) has shown some effectiveness against Covid so I'm really hitting the gin and tonics, probably fail a work D&A test beer

Hope everyone on AR comes through this okay and we can get back to the serious business of hunting.

[i] Mate, the test you want to fail is the CV-19 test. If G&T self meds help there, well good for you ! I'm in line for the Flu jab too except I have to wait until April 14. My local practise only received vaccines this week but are in lockdown with only minimal staff on hand. I guess they have a long list to work through.[/I]