New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victorian meat rules
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im hearing rumours that Vic has banned the sharing of hunted meat.
Whats the truth?

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What would be the rational basis for banning the sharing of hunted meat?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's got tangled up with rules for the commercial meat industry in a new bill that just got passed.

The Bill states a person must not sell or dispose of meat for human consumption unless the meat is from a consumable animal slaughtered at a meat processing facility licensed for that purpose.

But the "must not dispose" is the bit that caused concern.

However:

"Noting an exemption under section 35, the Victorian branch of Sporting Shooters Association of Australia, tried to allay concerns, dismissing the reports about the “hunter food ban” as misinformation.

In a statement posted June 2, the SSAA asserted, “We are pleased to confirm that Victorian hunters have nothing to worry about and that the Bill in question made no material changes that would impact recreational hunters.”

The organisation added, “The changes in question (to the Meat Industry Act 1993) were effectively ‘housekeeping’. New offences were introduced regarding the sale of meat for human consumption; however, these explicitly exclude game meat (an exemption order under section 35 of the Meat Industry Act 1993 applies).”"

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carlson.I struggled to beleive what I was hearing.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
If it were to be true which its not I would still be farming meat out to friends and family. A mate was here for the week and we made 50/50 veni / pork snags and salamis (pure pork). There will be a few recipients to share in the spoils.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
It would be impossible to police I think

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote