THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Croc Adams, Southern Mountain Adventures, Glen Lyon Station any review or thoughts?

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Croc Adams, Southern Mountain Adventures, Glen Lyon Station any review or thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I spoke to one of his staff at Jagd and Hund in Germany earlier this year. I was happy with the prices and the fact that they had tahr on the property.

We are wanting to do a red stag and tahr combo for 20 or 21 depending on timelines and cost.

Another outfitter just sent me a kind of strange email claiming that the NZ gov wanted all tahr shot on crown and private land in 2020, and that his tahr prices were going to triple. He wanted $25,000 for his week, and was going to charge me heavily for the wife and kids. I think I am priced out of that option.

The kids and wife (4 ladies and me) will be doing 4-5 days of hunting and 7 days of running around NZ after.

We are going to rent a car for the entire period, and both the wife and I can and have driven on the English side of the road, when we lived in Australia and when I lived in Africa.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
and that his tahr prices were going to triple. He wanted $25,000 for his week, and was going to charge me heavily for the wife and kids.

he wont be in business for long then.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
They are one of many operators in the South Island .

You should ask them is their red deer farm raised or truly wild. Many of the deer listed as Gold , Silver , or Bronze medal stags are so obviously farm deer that its not funny. A truly wild stag is a much better trophy than Bambi with a christmas tree on his head , but thats just my thought process.

Gerald Telfer is another operator in the South Island worth contacting. He is a member of this page too.

For your tourist time - dont try and see both islands in your 7 days - all you will see is the highway. You can easily spend 7 days in the South Island and still not have seen much of it

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Croc Adams nor had anything to do with him. Of the little I have heard from a few sources he sounds reputable. As Muzza says there are numerous South Island operators and pretty much all levels of hunting type are available. From top end luxury lodge with trimmings to wilderness hunting with spike camping. If your wife and kids are on the hunt too I guess you will be looking for at least basic comforts and convenience, so probably a lodge of some description.
A lot of operators can offer a choice of estate, farm raised but wild or true wilderness stags at the pricing levels that apply. Just ask about what they offer and what you actually want.
The outfitter attempting to panic you into booking either needs a refresher course in PR or needs to get out of the industry.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's on the top of the heap from what I have talked to so far.

I met Shane Johnston at Four Seasons about 20 years ago. Always wanted to hunt with him, but he's priced himself in the stratosphere.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From bit and pieces of pricing I come across occasionally I'm guessing the business model of some NZ outfitters is to market only to those willing to spend pretty big bucks, and that would be mainly Americans. It's a free market so if they can make it work, good on them. A few of these guys make their modus operandi obvious by flashy advertising.
Lower key outfitters are out there but less obviously as their marketing is also low key so to find them takes a bit of shopping around. I'm not saying these operators will necessarily be cheap as I think the costs of hunting for tourists have increased a bit over the years but they should be realistically priced against the more upmarket guys. These sorts of guys are both the ones you would book with and who would also personally guide your hunt in comparison to the upmarket guys who would probably appoint one of several ( young ) guides they maintain.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trophy prices are fairly standard I think within 10-20%.

The lodging cost differences are staggering.

The guy that wanted $25,000 wanted to put me in a hotel in town. And he was pushing me for information to try and get my wife to hire his wife to run day excursions at $500 a day.

That is the goal small shop, with not a lot of frills.

The family can stay in a resort in Queenstown or Wanaka for a week on our own dime.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
That bloke smells USD`s and the greedy c**t wants them. I bet he is really smarmy too.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Croc Adams has been around for years. Gerald Telford or Chris McCarthy are two good options.

I have just returned from Tahr hunting, there are still plenty of Tahr post cull.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I have just returned from Tahr hunting, there are still plenty of Tahr post cull.

Post a few photos eh!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I represent Gerald Talford AKA GT. He does a great job and I just set up a 13 day tahr hunt and tour through him for one hunter and his wife. His prices are far from what BWW posted. Copntact me anytime if anyone has interest.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote