Find
Notify
Tools

Caught my first Jewfish
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Then caught two more.

Prawns were hard to come by but I managed a feed. (Prawn curry tomorrow)
Even got TINY threadfin

Lots of small snapper and got bitten off by a good mackerel at the boat, even boated a few little sharks. Bloody good day today Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
And they as you know are top tucker, we knocked a few off up in FNQ ourselves using live popeye mullet.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
These ones were all undersize Gryph. 75cm here.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
What we in the States call a jewfish is a completely different fish in the grouper family. They get well over 150 kg.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
We get two types of Jewfish here, The Black Jewfish and Silver Jewfish (Or Mulloway) and just to confuse things, over in Western Australia they have a different species called the Dhufish (but pronounced the same) Confused Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Old mates missus Shirley at Karumba in the late 90`s. We caught a few but hers was a whopper.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats a cracker tu2

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
It is indeed,I have pics of one a mate caught one evening off the beach also that is a cracker.In fact I believe that i videoed the catch...so long ago. We always fished with wire up there,no wire = no fish!

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
So how do you know they are Jewish. Circumcisms?

Sorry, I HAD to ask.

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Big Grin

Actually Don....one theory is that people made jewelry out of their ear bones (otoliths) and they were called Jewelfish, that got shortened to Jewfish. OR they just taste great battered and fried and sprinkled with Kosher salt dancing

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
They certainly are handsome fishes, especially with that gracefully curved lateral line. Are they good fighters? Can they be taken on a fly?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah they can pull hard Bill. Especially the Black Jew. Don't know if anyone is chasing them on fly.