Find
Notify
Tools

Darwin Hotels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
AJ:

Your comments about countries infer you don't get out much and others obviously agree. Furthermore, Australia has extremely tight immigration controls. If lack of immigration controls leads to filthy living conditions, then the USA must be the filthiest of them all.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the original topic.

I just got back from over there.

The Mercure airport hotel is comfortable, and very convenient to the airport. Cost about $200/day regardless of actual amount of time there. (I used it as a day room- they do run regular all night shuttles to the airport- leaving at 1:45 AM was a first)

The Mantra was the place we stopped first on hitting Darwin. While not on the beach, you do have a view of Darwin harbor. It was large rooms, with balconies, and we had a kitchen set up and washing/dryers in the rooms. Price was as I recall, about the same ($215) There were some really nice local restaurants around the Mantra.

If you are looking for a place to hole up until the plane comes in, then the Mercure is a good choice; if you are trying to spend some time in Darwin proper the Mantra is probably the better fit.

As to camps, I had the gamut- from an established East African style tented camp, to a fly camp with toilet and shower, to a true fly camp a la Alaska except you couldn't bathe in the river due to the crocs.

As far as "world" goes, Northern Australia very much reminded me of my childhood America- lower population densities, everyone being friendly as they drove by, many unpaved roads, and the old fashioned small mom and pop stores on the main streets in small towns.

The larger towns- well, again similar with one major difference- the non tipping culture made restaurant service much more self serve (mostly we got a pager for you to go and get your food when it went off) but in the sit down places, wait staff were not particularly attentive and you often had difficulty getting refills of drinks unless you went up to the bar area and got them yourself.

So, its quite different then everywhere else I have been to- which is great. Part of the fun of travel is new places and ways, and at least in Australia you (as a US type) can understand the natives- after a fashion.... fishing

As to firearms, I took my own. My outfitter had guys who ended up with problems before me (in a way it is a rather unfriendly environment due to time pressures and rules) but I had no issues at all- the customs folks were very friendly and helpful and I had no issues at all- unlike the young lady on the plane with me from Australia from their national rifle team coming to shoot at the small bore nationals here, who got harassed and messed with by customs in Dallas so that she missed her US domestic flight- it was bad enough I said something to the guy dealing with her and he backed down- but too little too late- and she had all her permits in hand... civil servants mostly are decent folks doing a thankless job, but for some reason the US has a lot who don't know the rules yet try and muddle through, so its NOT an Australian issue alone. With the time factor required, I would recommend that you use the outfitter's rifles if they have anything decent- if you have a few days in town on the departure side near where you are hunting, it should not be that big of an issue though- but it does take several months of advance work by the outfitter it appears.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today's WSJ had a story about the current US economic expansion and noted that Australia is now in the 27th straight year of economic expansion. The country, unlike the US, has paid down their debt dramatically.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Two years ago we stayed at one of the hotels near the airport, possibly the Hi Way Inn on the Stuart Highway, for about $120 night and it was OK but not luxurious. The floors were tiled rather than carpeted but that suits me fine in my vigilance against BBs. Their prices seem still the same.

I have been inclined to tip since going to America in '86 and Australian staff are often surprised and very appreciative. Strangely, I have rarely had any problem with the service level, even before tipping, but do find the fawning attention of some waiters overseas a little nauseating.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The larger towns- well, again similar with one major difference- the non tipping culture made restaurant service much more self serve (mostly we got a pager for you to go and get your food when it went off) but in the sit down places, wait staff were not particularly attentive and you often had difficulty getting refills of drinks unless you went up to the bar area and got them yourself.

Exactly! This was our experience also. Regardless of all the arguments against tipping it is very apparent that if the wait staff thinks they might get a tip they are way more attentive. We ate a Char in Darwin 3 times. After the first time we were recognized and taken very good care of. Not so much in our brief visits to Kathrine and Brisbane where we were not recognized. This is an observation more than criticism. Our fishing guide asked me if the 100 dollar bills where American notes?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
... Our fishing guide asked me if the 100 dollar bills where American notes?

Mark

Sounds like an honest man. Most of $100 notes have apparently disappeared, only to be seen by the public when some spiv wants to buy a car. That is an exaggeration, of course; most of the ones that come to us get kept for presents for the kids.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mark! Don’t worry, I’m from Katherine area and have lived here for quite some time and I’m still shocked at some of the poor service and attitudes encountered in shops there - not all, there are some great places.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteaux:
My wife and I are hunting with Barry from 14-21 Aug. He's picking us up in Gove on the 14th and dropping us off in Darwin on the 21st.

We've booked the Palms Hotel 21-22 Aug.

Who's Berry taking back to Gove on the 14th? We'll be passing each other.

I'm the lucky fellow going to the Gove on the way to Darwin, If there is time, I'll give you a quick hunt report and hopefully pictures to whet your appetite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avoid the low-budget 'itchified' hotels - typically indicated by the presence of foreign-types with hookah pipes wearing dirty sandals and congregating in mass in the lobby for hours on end Roll Eyes - and you should be fine. tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
Avoid the low-budget 'itchified' hotels - typically indicated by the presence of foreign-types with hookah pipes wearing dirty sandals and congregating in mass in the lobby for hours on end Roll Eyes - and you should be fine. tu2

Never seen a place like that in the NT. Where was it, exactly?

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes Ben, I expected to find places like that, even camping places with no drinkable water, but never did.