Find
Notify
Tools

We lost three Yanks in your fight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
They were doing what they loved. This happens here, too, from time to time. God rest their souls.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51217076

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah heard that this morning. Very sad news.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nasty business. You've got to
accept that will happen now and then.
We lose 'em here nearly every year in
the fires too.

Dau said they had 75-100mph winds around
Conder, blew some wires down and started
another big fire.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Sad news for their families and so far away. RIP.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed.

Brave men.

God save their souls!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
A noble sacrifice that won't be forgotten.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have wildfires here every year and know how to deal with them, Australians haven't ? Seems strange they need so much outside help. Confused

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
We have wildfires here every year and know how to deal with them, Australians haven't ? Seems strange they need so much outside help. Confused

Grizz

I think you will find it is usually Australians going to America.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grizz

You need to do a little research before making those sort of statements. I have Rural Fire trained work colleagues who have gone to the States to help fight your fires, one as a ground fire controller. They have also gone to Oz too.
In return both Aussies and some of your State side guys have come to help in the aftermath of the couple of big earthquakes we have had in recent years. ANZUS is still alive and working well.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to volunteer. Fought a bunch of
grass fires. Nasty business, more so
when it's tall and dried out.

Once for a week or so in a forest.
That wasn't so bad til it topped out.
Then me and the rancher I worked for
left it for the experts and went home.

Takes months to get that smoke taste
out of your systems, I feel for all the
many Aussies in that shit storm.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grizz

you need to read a little more.Its not the only time we have sent men over your way.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/n...20180803-p4zv8u.html

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

Grizz

I think you will find it is usually Australians going to America.

Spot on. Grizz, if you're confused just use google. The US brings in all kinds of help during bad fire seasons. Forest Service and BLM coordinate with Aussy, US and Canadian companies regularly.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
We are all in this together as good friends. Here's just one example.

https://www.columbiavalleypion...alifornia-wildfires/

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

Grizz

you need to read a little more.Its not the only time we have sent men over your way.

Payback for the USA keeping the Japanese from owning the place a few years back.

Sorry about that Army idiot (MacAuther) good thing Chester Nimitz and the Army Air Corps sorted the problem.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I believe the japanese themselves decided that they could not successfully invade Australia, and settled for trying to keep Australia from Helping America in the pacific.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Australia would have had barely 1-2 million people in the 1940's. They could have ran through it like a hot knife through butter if it wasn't for the US military redirecting the battle. Midway and Coral Sea shut them down.

Any super power that wanted to could do the same thing now. There are less than 500,000 licensed gun holders in the whole nation. And a military of 30,000.

The other problem is thse two idiots Roosevelt and MacAurther, and Churchhill were preaching a Europe first mantra, and large numbers of both the Kiwis and Aussies were stuck tied up fighting in Europe and Tunisia when they should have been fighting the Japanese.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 years "taking the piss" from Aussies as an American Sailor stationed at the US Embassy in Canberra.

Love Straya, like a bloody native.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 7.2 million. Do some reading! The japanese knew they could not take Australia due to its size and logistical issues. It also wasn't their goal, they were looking to gain asian territory and their game plan consisted of forcing America to back off in a short swift war.
They also got surprised by the ability of the Aussie and New Guinea forces when they tried to take New Guinea and an underrated battle was the Australians lockdown of the Japanese forces, a much bigger army, on New Britain.
Europe was definitely where the war was won. Once Germany was defeated, it was only a matter of time as far as Japan was concerned.

Posts: 4230 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shank's have a look at "A War to be Won, Fighting the Second World War" by Williamson Murray and Allan Millet.

Just finished a WW2 history course using this book.

World War II is incredible.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
WW 111 will be even more incredible.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guadalcanal took the pressure off the fighting in New Guinea. It was a miserable place to fight a war. Read up on the Kokoda Track if you want lessons in endurance and sheer will.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

Grizz

Hey, all the Aussie youth are working in our mountain resorts. Big Grin

Grizz

Payback for the USA keeping the Japanese from owning the place a few years back.

Sorry about that Army idiot (MacAuther) good thing Chester Nimitz and the Army Air Corps sorted the problem.

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Guadalcanal took the pressure off the fighting in New Guinea. It was a miserable place to fight a war. Read up on the Kokoda Track if you want lessons in endurance and sheer will.

Yep absolutely. There were some amazing battles and fights that just dont get much mention, and often its because they did not involve the super powers of the war.
Thats not to down play the roles of the big nations or deride their input. But I do get mighty tired of the, "We saved your arses BS"
Because the smaller nations were in there punching well above their weight and fighting for the same cause. NZ for example had the highest casualty rate per head of population, of the entire allied forces.

And with the fire situation, this topic should not have gone down that path, because the same countries that came together to fight the war, help each other out to this day in fire fighting, sending men across the seas to help out where needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Yep absolutely. There were some amazing battles and fights that just dont get much mention, and often its because they did not involve the super powers of the war.
Thats not to down play the roles of the big nations or deride their input. But I do get mighty tired of the, "We saved your arses BS"
Because the smaller nations were in there punching well above their weight and fighting for the same cause. NZ for example had the highest casualty rate per head of population, of the entire allied forces.

And with the fire situation, this topic should not have gone down that path, because the same countries that came together to fight the war, help each other out to this day in fire fighting, sending men across the seas to help out where needed.

Well said sir!

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullshit!

I love Australia, I spent 3 years living there from 2010-2013 with the US Military at the Embassy.

2 of my 4 kids were born in Australia, and consider it to be their home.

No disrespect to anyone, but it is just a friendly gaffe.

A good friend of mine is a Gunsmith in Australia. We talk a couple of times a month. he just returned from Kyrgistan for an ibex hunt, with a big bunch of guys from Canberra.

First thing he says to me is "why do all the fat Yanks, that can't shoot go hunt sheep in Asia?".

I served in Afghanistan, Kosovo, Somalia and Iraq. Kiwis and Aussies were there too, and spilled blood and lost lives just like we did and continue to do.

The fire is no different, and is a sad reality of life in Australia.

But if you can't take the piss, why talk to one another?