Find
Notify
Tools

Cut down heads for transport
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted
Guys am trying to get the heads back from Kazakhstan and need to cut them to get the package size down to save on freight "so I don't have to sell the house" they have a couple of options, what have people done before photo 1&2 are one option

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could detach the antlers; that is more difficult on a full skull. Essentially, you want to drill from the bottom of the skull up through the antlers, far enough to put a stud in them. Then cut off the antlers.

I had a taxidermist do this for an elk skull, but was a skull cap, not at full skull. He said full skulls were much more expensive.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How are you going to mount it when you get it home?

If you are doing a shoulder mount, option three would probably be stronger glued together after it's covered.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
If they are going to be a full shoulder mount, then number two as thats where the taxidermist will cut them to put them on the form.

If you are doing a skull mount then number three as I think a seam straight down would look more natural once glued back together.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
skull mount at this stage another option is a zig zag cut might fit back together better then doesn't touch the nose area

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
going with cut one antler off after advice from a taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly cut off one antler. Have done it with many red stags. It's fairly easy to fix it later. You can measure the spread and make sure later it's the same, but I will be more or less the same anyway.

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have split caribou antlers down the middle and then had a full shoulder mount done with no problem. In fact years ago, Quebec outfitters insisted you do. This or pay a large extra fee to fly. Them out. You nest one side into the other. Worked quite well.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can cut the horns off together with a frontal cut down and a back cut to the front cut to hold the horns together, they can be fitted back on where you made the cut. It works well on a shoulder mount or for tacking them to the barn..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote