New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is better
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Not a bad day. Windy as buggery which made throwing the cast net challenging, but we managed a feed. About 10 liters or so.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dandy catch!
We call 'em shrimp over here.
My favorite sea food.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

OK Bakes, as a land lubber I'll bite ...... how's it done ? Surely you dont just zip out in your tinny and throw blind casts hoping for a catch ?! How do you know where the shrimp are - fish finders or are they baited?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well mate. I study the Luna charts taking into account the transition of Saturn past Uranus, one must consider of course the gravitational forces of the moon. THEN I go up river and look for all the other boats dancing

But really I'm just learning myself. The old hands know the spots based on experience. You also use your sounder and spot them as they are just off the bottom. Although we did have a school bust up on the surface. I had a mate driving and watching the sounder, he would then tell me when he spotted a patch and where to throw.

We actually started in a creek that I got prawns in the other day (Pics below somewhere). Couldn't find any on the sounder so we went around the corner and found 10 boats casting and we said "A-HA there they are" Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty much like most fishermen anywhere.
I can go out and pick a spot in an empty ocean, and sure enough within half an hour someone will think I must have the spot and anchor up next to me despite there being thousands of acres of boat free water around us.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote