New
Find
Notify
Tools

NZ volcano
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Very sad news, hope no one on here has been effected.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure did smoke the sky.

Believe I read where it killed
a couple folks. Not sure, just
seems like I read that.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/...=1&objectid=12292595

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Bloody shit way to go.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
people die in their beds all the time .

Anyone who voluntarily sets foot on an obviously active volcano accepts the risk that it could blow up at any time . Adventure tourism sometimes has more adventure than people would prefer.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. I feel sad for the people who died or are injured. But I also feel we need some kind of risk and adventure in our societies. I personally dont want a bubble wrapped world and will also be sad if they stop people visiting White Island permanently.
Im also a fan of letting kids climb trees. Because if they survive the fall, which 99.9999% of the time they do, they learn something from it about risk and assessment.
My partners daughter has just started wanting to drive the tractor and it scares the shit out of me every time I hop out and let her do a job by herself. But you have to let people learn and do things and make mistakes. Even if she did hit the side of the woolshed yesterday....

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
people die in their beds all the time .

Anyone who voluntarily sets foot on an obviously active volcano accepts the risk that it could blow up at any time . Adventure tourism sometimes has more adventure than people would prefer.

True Muzza. At least that's how the Baker luck works. There is no way I would go near an active volcano....still would rather die in my bed.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
My fear is that the f**ked up government we know have will set to and make "adventure tourism" too hard to comply with the rules , and will kill off the very tourism we will rely on once farming has become a thing of the past ...

I wonder how much Carbon and methane was emitted by White Island on the day in question , and how can it be taxed ?

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Yep. I feel sad for the people who died or are injured. But I also feel we need some kind of risk and adventure in our societies. I personally dont want a bubble wrapped world and will also be sad if they stop people visiting White Island permanently.
Im also a fan of letting kids climb trees. Because if they survive the fall, which 99.9999% of the time they do, they learn something from it about risk and assessment.
My partners daughter has just started wanting to drive the tractor and it scares the shit out of me every time I hop out and let her do a job by herself. But you have to let people learn and do things and make mistakes. Even if she did hit the side of the woolshed yesterday....

Agree 100% with this sentiment. Already calls by some overseas parents and families who have lost loved ones to adventure tourism mishaps in NZ that tighter controls by our government are needed. They say their kids, one drowned in a river boarding accident, don't understand the risks.
All talk of risk management for adventure tourism, similar to the vaccination debate, you either do it or you don't.
I have spent years hunting in some knarly places, flying in fixed wing and helicopters, riding in jet boats, driving off road in 4WDs, crossing rivers, skiing, and handling weapons and I've survived to date. I learned some skills from my father but most of my skills at survival I have learned from experience. My sons and grand-kids are now doing the same and I hope they survive too but I would never think of them not doing it. Every tourist to our country has a much greater risk of dying in an aircraft crash or a vehicle accident.
Life can throw some real curve balls at us at times bringing misery and tragedy but that is life. Tourists who want to be safe, just stay at home and take your chances there, don't fucking tell us how we should run our country and manage risk.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our local paper seems to know
more about it than your local
news does.
They reported this morning
16 had been confirmed dead.
and 1300 square feet of skin for
grafts had been requested from the
states.

Hell of a way to die burned up that
way. A .38 is would be less painful.

Asked my dau about it. "15 yrs ago
she lived in Whatever that town nearest
the island for about 6 months.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Exactly how.did the victims die in this situation?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

Because they were visiting an active volcano which just happen to blow off a short term vent of scalding steam, gas and ash. Most were dressed in summer shorts and tops so were virtually cooked alive.
A short boat or chopper trip and easy short track walk on moon like terrain from the boat jetty, chopper pad to the steaming crater. Quite spectacular and a safe enough lifetime experience for most. But just like the chopper trips and landings that hundreds of thousands of tourists a year make on our famous glaciers in South Westland, my old hunting area, or high speed jet boat trips up some of our spectacular cliff sided rivers, it can all go horribly wrong sometimes.

You don't want adventure, you don't want that exhilarating tingle of fear, you don't want that awe inspiring sense of being out in untouched raw nature, then stay at home and watch it all on television.

Of course I am deeply saddened for the victims and families they have left behind and for those that survive, and those faced with the gruelling path back to some form of life, as painful and hideous it may be, considering the unique injuries sustained in a volcanic blast, but please don't change and wrap the world in cotton wool.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my dad used to say,, you pay your money and you take your chances.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When you get a certain percentage, can't remember exactly, of severe burns to your body, you're gonna die, your skin is the first line of defense against infection. There'd be heat and poisonous gasses to contend with.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Because they were visiting an active volcano which just happen to blow off a short term vent of scalding steam, gas and ash. Most were dressed in summer shorts and tops so were virtually cooked alive.
A short boat or chopper trip and easy short track walk on moon like terrain from the boat jetty, chopper pad to the steaming crater. Quite spectacular and a safe enough lifetime experience for most. But just like the chopper trips and landings that hundreds of thousands of tourists a year make on our famous glaciers in South Westland, my old hunting area, or high speed jet boat trips up some of our spectacular cliff sided rivers, it can all go horribly wrong sometimes.

You don't want adventure, you don't want that exhilarating tingle of fear, you don't want that awe inspiring sense of being out in untouched raw nature, then stay at home and watch it all on television.

Of course I am deeply saddened for the victims and families they have left behind and for those that survive, and those faced with the gruelling path back to some form of life, as painful and hideous it may be, considering the unique injuries sustained in a volcanic blast, but please don't change and wrap the world in cotton wool.

Betting nobody made them aware of the danger, in spite of knowledge an eruption was possible.
Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
quote:

Betting nobody made them aware of the danger, in spite of knowledge an eruption was possible.
Grizz

Active volcano, danger of eruption, who would've thought 2020 Your're telling me adults and teenagers don't know the dangers of volcano's. Along with the moon and sun, volcano's are probably one of the earliest things kids learn about and what kids don't watch endless hours of TV and internet nowdays exposed to everything that ever goes on in our world.

Oh by the way tourists, active volcanoes can be dangerous, we have been taking guided tours for decades and never had a problem. Do you still want to go? How many "shit no count me outs" would you expect to get?

We have a few chopper crashes every year and likewise the odd jet boat ride goes wrong too. Anybody doesn't want to come???

Get real Grizz, people line up despite the danger, in fact the danger and risk are what many line up for. Like I keep saying, you don't want risk and danger in your life, stay home in front of the TV.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've climbed Mount St Helens here in the US and I'd do it again if I thought I could haul my carcass up there still. It's gone off a few times since I did it. But it was well worth the climb to see what nature can do.

Eagle27 is right. The chance to do many adventurous things in life often entails some risk. If you don't like it, stay home.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
quote:

Grizz

Active volcano, danger of eruption, who would've thought 2020 Your're telling me adults and teenagers don't know the dangers of volcano's. Along with the moon and sun, volcano's are probably one of the earliest things kids learn about and what kids don't watch endless hours of TV and internet nowdays exposed to everything that ever goes on in our world.

Oh by the way tourists, active volcanoes can be dangerous, we have been taking guided tours for decades and never had a problem. Do you still want to go? How many "shit no count me outs" would you expect to get?

We have a few chopper crashes every year and likewise the odd jet boat ride goes wrong too. Anybody doesn't want to come???

Get real Grizz, people line up despite the danger, in fact the danger and risk are what many line up for. Like I keep saying, you don't want risk and danger in your life, stay home in front of the TV.

Question being, did they realize what they were getting into ? Shorts and t shirts are not adventure gear. Yellowstone might be a lot less popular if word came down the caldera could blow imminently. Big Grin

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
IF Yellowstone blows, what one is wearing will be of little consequence . . .

Except for the consequences worldwide for a year or three.

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
heres a link to youtube video of the event

https://www.youtube.com/result...and+eruption+footage

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today's local paper said'18 dead
and two bodies left in the drink
to recover yet"

That kind of deal what you'd be
wearing wouldn't matter a bit.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pyroclastic flow.

What a way to go. Being cooked and asphyxiated at the same time. Sad day for those folks and their friends and relatives.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yep there is a risk in walking into an active volcano but on the law of averages from over the last 100 years I would rather risk that walk than go skydiving.

Shanks: Even if she did hit the side of the woolshed yesterday....:

You are obviously not teaching her well enuff ha ha!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thousands of tourists a day wander aimlessly around Rotoruas Thermal Wonderland , oblivious to the fact that it is the vent for an very active volcano.

Wrapping people in cotton wool wont stop such incidences happening - people who do "adventure tourism" accept that there is an element of danger. Makes for great stories to tell the grandkids . Plus you are still far more likely to die in your own bed than anywhere else . Want to live forever - dont sleep in your own bed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now the call is out for the govt to forcibly buy the island from its private owners... Despite the owners already agreeing to it being classed as a nature reserve. It will happen I think and by god I detest this govt! Something I cant really say about any other in the past.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yes - this govt has to be the biggest bunch of bullies to ever have ridden roughshod over society , in the last 50 years . Applied socialism isnt anything to aspire to....

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yep,the gun rip off is a big one imo.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002