New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catfish fry up
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Just cooked the cattie. Crumbed in panko crumbs and deep fried. Bloody nice! Was a hit with everyone. I reckon it would go well in fishcakes as well.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed. They are wonderful that way. Here in the SE USA we make a dry mix of flour, cornmeal, salt,pepper and powdered cayenne pepper. Another good way to enjoy them is in a stew with tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, and rendered salted or cured pork belly cubes. Serve over white rice. Great for outdoor gatherings cooked in a black iron cauldron.

quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Just cooked the cattie. Crumbed in panko crumbs and deep fried. Bloody nice! Was a hit with everyone. I reckon it would go well in fishcakes as well.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried catfish, but imagine they are a bit like Red Cod here. A trash fish that you at times cant help but catch. Slimey, plain flesh.
But having said that add some flavour and cook them right, and they are still fish. Often its knowing how to make the most of something.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That about sums it up Shanks

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
, but imagine they are a bit like Red Cod here.

Do they swallow turds?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Our Kafue river is clear water and the catfish are delicious. My chef will keep the fillets in milk overnight. Not a trash fish at all.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:
, but imagine they are a bit like Red Cod here.

Do they swallow turds?

rotflmo Come on Gryph, not many turds in Brisbane's water supply.....I hope Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Freshwater catties down south (eel tailed) are a super eating fish...its the FNQ catties in the salt water that we would never eat and why would you when every other sea run fish was far better...King Salmon,Barra`s,Jewies etc.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
There are a few eel tails in Wivenhoe and I used to catch them in NSW. Very nice eating.