New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Track Question for Gryph
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few days back was out supposedly to shoot some Wallabies ( unsuccessful ) in an area at least close to Sambar Deer haunts. Pigs also frequent this area. Saw some unfamiliar deer prints and although I'm not that good identfying deer spoor these are different to Red, Fallow and Sika Deer prints as far as I can see.
So Gryph, what are the chances these are Sambar ? Hope the pics are good enough to tell. These prints are the same animal.
Cheers

upload gif image

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell looks like our legendary moose have migrated up from Fiordland. Damn you North Islanders want everything Wink

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eagle27
posted 29 June 2022 14:10
Bloody hell looks like our legendary moose have migrated up from Fiordland. Damn you North Islanders want everything

If they have migrated it would be totally awesome ! With current Diesel costs it's way too expensive driving down there to hunt them Big Grin .
Reminds me, some guys tried releasing Sika Deer into the South Island some years back. I think DOC got wind of it and crushed the attempt but it might have been interesting if they got a toe hold.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Ah well I suppose at least we have chamois and tahr to hunt down our way. Actually heading south Friday next week to fly into our tahr block on Saturday, weather permitting of course.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote