New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the .22 for a walk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had a mob of pigs ripping up a new wetland I created this summer. It got so bad that last night I decided they needed dealing with. Its the middle of the fallow rut and close to duck shooting, so I didn't want to scare the shit out of everything with a centerfires rifle, and as the prints looked smaller, I thought I'd take the .22.

I arrived at the wetland a half hour before dark and straight away spotted a large boar racing around like there was a sow on heat. Quickly cut around to get the wind right and jumped a flooded creek to get in range. I ran out of cover at 75 meters so lay down, got my dog sitting, and gave a couple of sow on heat grunts.
he came straight in at a trott and when he reached 20 meters a little 37gr pill hit him between the eyes and that ws it.
After a quick gutting and hang on a fence I walked up valley to find another 7 smaller mob pigs heading my way. A quick stalk and I was in side 10 meters from he closet of them. A good lean on a post and 30 seconds later just one little piggy was left wondering where his friends had gone.
Really enjoyed the evening and it took me back to my youth as a 13-15 year old where I spent every spare moment walking the hills shooting pigs with that little gun.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff shankspony, sounds like a great evening.

Posts: 70 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 19 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Shot placement tu2 where you hit them not what with.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good on you, Shanks! I wasn't there so of course there were pigs around!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep its always the way. Best time of year coming up so next time you're in Nz will see what we can find.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear you're playing the game
and getting such fine results.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great stuff mate. I wish I could have been there!

may be 4th time lucky! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats Shanks,

What kind of .22 were you using?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a Brno mod 2. Had it since i was 17 and shot more with it than any other gun I reckon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it can't be done, 22LR on pigs that is. Ask on any forum on the internet. Unethical, ineffective, 22's actually skid of pigs skulls, you had no protection from a charge, in fact its possible the pig attacked you and you are posting this from a coma, and you are deluded that you killed it. Big Grin

Seriously though, nice work. I do a lot of 22LR shooting as well. It will defeat 2" pine at 100 yards, thats enough to cover a lot of animal skull.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote