Notify
Tools

Some nice Fallow here
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
https://youtu.be/sf9i-GtN94A

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7962 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good herd management showing it's potential. Several of those bigger bucks are very nice indeed. Stuff of hunt dreams.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Great place, well worth a visit.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking Fallow deer. Would love to take advantage to harvest one resembling any one of these pictured. Albeit, cannot travel to NZ until your country is open once again. Have a deposit with GH for 2020 with little or no information regarding when or if we might be able to enjoy our trip. One can hope. Stay safe all. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTGunner:
Good looking Fallow deer. Would love to take advantage to harvest one resembling any one of these pictured. Albeit, cannot travel to NZ until your country is open once again. Have a deposit with GH for 2020 with little or no information regarding when or if we might be able to enjoy our trip. One can hope. Stay safe all. MTG

These Fallow are in England.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Would be rare to get a buck like these in Australia or New Zealand.

There are huge fallow in Texas, but the prices are pretty high too.

Hungary, Romania, Czech, Austria or the UK if you want a monster.

I think you could shoot a bigger fallow in Europe even paying air fare for cheaper than in Texas.

For huge ones.

Small ones (2-3 KG heads) can be shot any place for $3000 out the door.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw several dandy racks in Germany
but, nothing like these guys.

WOW!
Always wanted one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Get down to the Midlands of Tasmania and hunt wild bush run Fallow on a 50,000 acre spread and have a truly wonderful hunting experience rather than drooling over farm heads is a much better option imo.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gryph:

You're giving away secrets mate.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I cant help myself George and wished everyone else knew it too. Wild is the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a nice guy IS a HABIT!
It might be in the genes.
BUT:
"getting into the wrong jeans might
affect a guys lifespan".

More of us need to share such good suggestions
and not be selfish.

Wish the hell my health was good enough
again to make these fantastic trips.

Be grateful you're still in good enough
shape to partake. Keep the stories and
pictures coming so we can share too.
Makes life a bit easier.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be grateful you're still in good enough
shape to partake. Keep the stories and
pictures coming so we can share too.
Makes life a bit easier.

My current shape is in crutches and has been for the last five weeks with a broken bone,a snapped Achilles and a blood clot.

But my head is above water and it will be back to business when i am over it all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fark Gryph, what happened? hope you get right soon mate.

Posts: 4206 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Disused Wombat hole with the opening hidden with grass and a simple step into it did the job. IIRC it was 10 maybe 12 years ago i did the opposite Achilles. It has set me back a lot as far as any sort of hunting/photography. Although I drove with my good foot the other day a farm vehicle (auto kubota) and my dogs dispatched a fox....whoo hoo a day out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh shit, that sucks! fantastic year all round.Not.

Posts: 4206 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I remember probably 30 years ago somewhere in Tasmania - cant recall exactly - huge herd of fallow in the wild. Some very good heads amongst them too.
Its hard to find a really good Fallow head in NZ , too many spikers get shot before they get to grow any sort of antlers

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Tassy was a place 30-40 years ago where you could see mobs of fallow in the hundreds,300 was nothing to see and a 'good' mob might have been 600 in number.
They used to have a five buck season then,my old mate shot his five bucks on opening day and they were all shot one after another at a jump.

Once again the good old days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the Waikato/ King country, Fallow have expamded thier range incredibly over the last 10 years. And some good blood lines too as many have escaped or been let go from safari park operations. Id say almost every farm a doc block in my area would have a low to moderate population now. That did not exist 10 years ago. I think those populations are going to boom over next 10 years.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I often wonder why we never released Roe deer here . They would have adapted very easily , and would be more of an asset than those dumb arsed miniature ponies that every farmlet has in abundance

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Stuff the Roe rats,they should re release MOOSE imo...it will never happen of course but how good would that be!
Leave those good bucks shanks as they will command good money under your farm shoot program.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Roe would have been a wonderful asset for the waikato. They would have done well in this type of country.

Exactly Gryph. There are some serious conversation had, should someone shoot a promising spiker. I actually dont let anyone out with a rifle without me at present because mistakes too easily happen.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually dont let anyone out with a rifle without me at present because mistakes too easily happen.

And some shoot more than they paid for!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
shankspony
posted 01 December 2020 20:15
Here in the Waikato/ King country, Fallow have expamded thier range incredibly over the last 10 years. And some good blood lines too as many have escaped or been let go from safari park operations. Id say almost every farm a doc block in my area would have a low to moderate population now. That did not exist 10 years ago. I think those populations are going to boom over next 10 years.

One of the things I have noted where these new populations spring up is just how quickly numbers can increase. Fallow in suitable habitat ( especially farms ) seem to breed very successfully and perhaps their herding habit helps reinforce this impression. I think one fault of farmers with these herds is insufficient culling to keep numbers at sensible levels. Farmers often don't have time to do their own culling but are frequently reluctant to allow hunters onto their properties to do this work. Probably for similar reasons to those given above. It's a shame as for young, up and coming hunters it would be a great experience builder.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. I dont think enough farmers recognise the value of these animals. Im doing a lot of that and charging between 200 and 300 dollars an animal. Most of the people I get are new to hunting and other than the meat value they are after the value of my experience and that I can teach them some simple things like how to gut , skin and bone out an animal. Have on more than one occasion been given a bonus for that side of things too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
shankspony
posted 02 December 2020 12:12
Yep. I dont think enough farmers recognise the value of these animals. Im doing a lot of that and charging between 200 and 300 dollars an animal. Most of the people I get are new to hunting and other than the meat value they are after the value of my experience and that I can teach them some simple things like how to gut , skin and bone out an animal. Have on more than one occasion been given a bonus for that side of things too.

You're one of the good guys Shanks and what you are doing I think is both sensible and helpful in fostering hunting in young guys who might not otherwise stay on that path. If those young guys are like me they will never forget the bloke who took the trouble to steer them in the right direction.

On the main property I shoot / hunt there are plentiful Fallow. I have an agreed price for meat animals with the owner. I think I've paid for two but now he tells me to take one whenever and not to worry about money. But if I ever shoot a trophy buck I would insist on paying. He's a kind man but I believe in this world there's no free lunches.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I hunted south of Willow Tree NSW for fallow and my old mate was the only bloke allowed on there to shoot. He was told shoot the lot and he had shot up to 30 in a day and left them.When I was there he shot six does and took the straps only.
I said I can find blokes that will pay you a couple of grand for a good buck. Three days for $2000 !

Nah I don`t want to and the owner is not interested either. He hadnt even discussed it with the owner. Two years later the owner said to my old mate ' A guide fella has offered me really good money to shoot on here with clients mate..sorry"

There goes the neighbourhood!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And young girls Grant. I had a really cool one a few weeks back, a father brought his 11 year old daughter out to hunt her first big game. She was amped and shot two goats and carried both of them home.She is now saving up for a deer and will be back in a few months.

Gryph that sounds familiar. The trick is I think, at least here in NZ, we as hunters need to start valuing our game animals.... But not to the extent that it puts them out of reach. Im improving the herd genetics i hope, but not sure I will charge trophy fees or let the big guys be shot for money. At this stage with the boars and goats, if its a trophy I just say yep you can shoot it, but only if you are going to get it mounted. because otherwise you can shoot a meat animal and someone who values a trophy can have that.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I was in Tassie with the mate on my annual Tas Fallow hunt and he took me to see a relation that had a large deer pen. The bloke had a massive white buck,I mean massive,260-280 DS in the pen and "wasnt for sale at any price"

No not for me as you know I dont and have never paid. It was just a general question when I asked "well what about a big wealthy bloke offering you ten grand to shoot him in the pen"
Nah,never.

My mate rang me 2 weeks later and said "you know the big white buck?"
Yep.
"his son killed him in the pen during the week"
The deers son that is.
Dog meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep they are vicious! A mate of mine watched his cousin run 4 big trophy bucks into a pen with some spiker's. He warned his cousin to seperate them or there would be some deaths. within 15 minutes 3 of the big bucks had been run through and lay dieing. The spiker's would wait till the big guys were fighting, then attack from the side.
I dont know how common it is in other herds, but here I get an awful lot that have one of their pedicles torn right out of their skull. These one antlered Bucks are some of the ones Im targeting to remove from the herd.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fighting Fallow bucks can be incredibly aggressive.
In the South Island once I watched two relativey evenly equipped buck in a scrap. It was completely full on, with sound effects of grunting and smacking antlers. Injuries were inflicted. I didn't see tge outcome but it really seemed to be a duel to the death.
A
Another time I shot one buck of three in a group. As soon as the shot buck went down and lay on the ground the other two launched a vicious attack. Multiple thrusting antler stabs all over the body. Eventually they had enough and moved off. I could see blood on the antler palms.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
The Old Poms named them Murder Bucks for that reason..spikeys that is.

DBB wrote in one of his books how one of the old hands in the olden days shot a 12 pointer (red) on the hill and the hunter came back the next day and the dead stag was riddled with antler holes like a colander. I bet the winner felt smug ha ha.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Murder Bucks, that was the name. I couldn't remember it.
Fantastic experiences!
Yep have seen some amazing things here too. Two spring to mind.
A couple of years ago I took a mate out for one of his first deer. We came up on a bush block and could hear two bucks scrapping. Sneaking in we suddenly became part of their melee, crouched on a trail as the two bucks fought around us, back and forth. Finally they pause and I told my mate to shoot one, which he did. At the shot it put its head down and charged but at same time losing its feet, to come down with a skid right at our feet. I turned to my mate and said, "We will likely never experience anything like that again!"
The other was last rut and an early morning scrap between two bucks. I had my bow and crept in but just as I got to 40 yards the smaller buck broke and turned for the bush. They thundered past me with the big buck head down raking the arse of the smaller one. There was a fence along the bush edge, and the smaller buck cleared it but big boy with his head down had no chance and smashed clean into it, flipping over to land tangled on top before crazing down on his back. Was impressive to see. The power of these animals is incredible when you see them like that.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
The power of these animals is incredible when you see them like that

I have had a couple of bucks give me the flick and exhibit immense strength doing so. Surprisingly so,imagine a sambar stag getting upset ha ha.
Being a cattleman yourself you would have seen plenty of bulls fighting too.
But those little Fallow Bucks are LUNATICS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep,deer are surprisingly strong. got left with bloodied hand one day trying to free a yearling from a fence. Lot of power in those back legs. felt like I was getting pummelled by a boxer.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
The alternative to free range meat is just around the corner mate.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/20...world-first/12944916

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, big business in NZ killing heifers with unborn calves to get the Foetal blood stem cells to enable these types of burgers to be made.
Fucken hypocrites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gryph:

Good luck with the busted foot mate.

Great discussion, carryon guys.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thanks George.

I hobbled into my old truck this morning and it only just started having sat idle for so long and then drove to a spot from where I have seen deer before and ended up seeing three deer. Its been a long time and I was very happy. I took a video camera but they did the deer thing and moved off.
There was no walking just looking from my truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you are useing this time to put together a book Gryph. Your photos deserve to be shared.

I went back to that creek where you shot your first Chamois a few weeks ago. It has been totally obliterated by an avalanche/landslide.
Vegetation all gone and rock and mud and ice feet thick over it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres a couple of pics from here on the farm.

One is a fallow buck that got tangled in an electric tape, panicked and jumped off a bank into a small creek, and got his antlers wedged in the sand, drowning. Shit was upset about that!

The other is a red Stag that shows up under the same tree almost to the day each year. Just for one day. Then we never see him again until next year.