New
Find
Notify
Tools

You tube clip that made me go Hmmmm
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Not the fact that its an all girl thing, good on em I say BUT a young lass who has never shot a rifle before has a crack at a Tahr in pretty challenging conditions. Perhaps start on a target first then rabbits? I did notice comments are turned off. I'm all for having a crack but be realistic about your abilities. AM I being a Fud?

https://youtu.be/86mn1jiRrGA

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a pretty cool adventure they are on, and something we dont see enough of. That area is some of the country I hunt and I can tell these girls are experienced and making good decisions. If you watch part one you will see they decide to abort initial destination due to high water. Not long ago a young Swedish guy was found dead downstream of that very crossing.
As too the shot, Id be a hypocrite to judge. Ive taken plenty of newbies out and you do the best you can but sometimes the situation just comes up where you dont get the chance to give them practice.
I'd say she was along for the trip but then decided she wanted to have a go and from appearance the Tahr was pretty close. Id have probably given her the chance too in the same situation If im honest.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
You may be right Shanks. I'm getting Fuddy in my old age Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
They get a pat on the back from me BUT those incessant selfie type shots...aaargggh!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lady leading this hunt is Rachel Stewart, Leithen Valley Hunts here in NZ. I think she has a heap of hunting experience under her belt. They looked reasonably competent to me.

I didn't enjoy the video much although all good to them for getting into real hills and hunting. The video is too "girlified" for my tastes and all the social media selfie style, high fives etc. footage I can do without. But I'm just an old fuddy and probably behind the times. I have noticed over more recent years there are more lady hunters around in the hills ( judging by the numbers carrying rifles ). I hope that trend continues but I just want no part of an all lady hunting party. I think it would drive me crazy.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think there is a difference in the way girls behave by themselves and the ways guys behave on similar trips. I would think maybe guys hunting videos may turn alot of girls off too.
I think as well, that getting more girls into our sport is going to help protect it for the future.
Of course meeting those girl groups in the mountains can add some excitement for a day or two, but yep better to let them do their thing.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
The lady leading this hunt is Rachel Stewart, Leithen Valley Hunts here in NZ. I think she has a heap of hunting experience under her belt. They looked reasonably competent to me.

I didn't enjoy the video much although all good to them for getting into real hills and hunting. The video is too "girlified" for my tastes and all the social media selfie style, high fives etc. footage I can do without. But I'm just an old fuddy and probably behind the times. I have noticed over more recent years there are more lady hunters around in the hills ( judging by the numbers carrying rifles ). I hope that trend continues but I just want no part of an all lady hunting party. I think it would drive me crazy.

Not sure of the year, but about 15-20 years ago I met her at sheep show in her parents booth.

She had been guiding in the Yukon, NWT Or BC in the off season.

I would have married her on the spot, if she would have only said yes!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
While they don't have cheap prices, Liethen Valley has fair prices.

https://www.leithenvalley.com/...hunts-nz-price-list/

It would be a cool place to take my kids if they were a bit older.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We a young girl game scout once.

She has not shot much, so I thought I will give her some pointers before the shoot the last day of our hunt.

I explained to her that all she needs do is make sure the rifle is steady, and the cross hairs are on the red dot of the target, and gently squeeze the trigger.

Let her try a few dry firing.

Her first shot was smack in the bullseye.

Then I think recoil took over, as each consecutive shot went further out! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote