Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm off. Have a good ANZAC day
 Login/Join

posted
I'm about to head off up to my parents place. Going to march with my dad who's a Vietnam vet. Have a good day tomorrow.

Lest We Forget.

Posts: 9 | Location: SEQ Australia | Registered: 20 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Have a great ANZAC day all the Aussie and NZ vets.

SA military veterans organization here in Canberra wants RSA veterans to march as well, but I reckon ANZAC day is not for us - 11 Nov, yes.

Probably drop in to the club tomorrow and buy any old fart I see wearing medals a beer or two. It's a tradition with me. Wink

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Aye, I drink a toast to the ANZACs tomorrow. Was A big thing when I was in school in Auckland and I am glad to see that it is still a big thing.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Aye, I drink a toast to the ANZACs tomorrow. Was A big thing when I was in school in Auckland and I am glad to see that it is still a big thing.

My Tragelaphus friend - it's very big.

In fact there's a gambling game called Two-up that is illegal most of the year except for ANZAC day.

Just wish the f*cking hangers-on and grand-daughters with kids would f-off and leave the vets to have their day.

Just because grand-dad was at Tobruk really does not mean that you and your band of kids are what ANZAC day is about.

But that's me

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:

My Tragelaphus friend - it's very big.

In fact there's a gambling game called Two-up that is illegal most of the year except for ANZAC day.

Just wish the f*cking hangers-on and grand-daughters with kids would f-off and leave the vets to have their day.

Just because grand-dad was at Tobruk really does not mean that you and your band of kids are what ANZAC day is about.

But that's me

Well they are marching for and in memory of their forebears,if they dont march who will...there will be no march.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Have to agree- another 10 years there will hardly be any WW11 veterans left , and then who is there to carry on the tradition if not the following generations.

Kids and grandkids is exactly what ANZAC Day is about.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Tregelaphus

https://www.google.co.nz/?gfe_...uoGoBA#q=tragelaphus

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Geezuz Muzza we are in agreeance,I`m just coming out of my faint now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Well they are marching for and in memory of their forebears,if they dont march who will...there will be no march.

+1

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
its a generational thing Gryph - nothing personal Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I'm outvoted. It's not the way I see it, but if you guys are happy ....

--

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I got to work with a great bunch of Australian and New Zealand soldiers while deployed in Iraq. They held a memorial on that day in Iraq and to this day I always drink a toast on ANZAC day.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I think we need the young kids to attend the marching as Gryph said. However if your kids screaming at the wreath laying then move them away to quiet them down Mad (just a bit of a rant) . I also don't agree with having them in the RSL with the old servicemen/women afterwards. That's their time to have a few drinks and relax. They don't need screaming kids running around.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
I think we need the young kids to attend the marching as Gryph said. However if your kids screaming at the wreath laying then move them away to quiet them down Mad (just a bit of a rant) . I also don't agree with having them in the RSL with the old servicemen/women afterwards. That's their time to have a few drinks and relax. They don't need screaming kids running around.

Y'know, Bakes - after I posted the initial rant above I realised that you and others may take it wrongly. I have no objection to people who are invited or are helping the old people in the march.

I tend to think the trend they had a few years ago, when everyone and usually (her) dog was in the parade was over the top.

Being there is one thing, turning it into a parade of people who never served is another.

I may be wrong.

--

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I know what your saying Bren and yep in some parades its like that. I've seen scouts and guides and other organisations march and have the same opinion at times.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I believe that anyone that marches is doing so for the memory of those that fell in all of those cruel wars.... doing such allows us to reply in the English language as we do today,the marchers are celebrating the fallen that should always be never forgotten "lest we forget"

This is a true march..it ain't no Oxford st romp that too many get enthusiastic about.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I think the actual march should be for ex-service (and family) and current serving members (men and women). Other's can attend the march and show support and lay a wreath etc but I've seen SES workers march in their overalls. I don't agree with that sort of thing. That's just me.