Notify
Tools

Aussie fires
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Wow! I had no ideal that eucy trees were like that.

There's a whole business founded on the oil of this tree. Wink

https://www.melaleuca.info/About

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
We have a similar problem with our cedar trees (actually Western Juniper) here in central Texas. Theis sap is like kerosene; when a wildfire gets going it's pretty devastating for all concerned.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Good news is there is a little bit of rain falling. We are expecting some at our area as well. I hope it falls.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR501.loop.shtml#skip

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Not quite Grizzly,Melaleuca`s are an entirely different species to the Eucalyptus trees.
They are more a bushy Ti-tree (tea-tree) that gives off another type of oil.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I got 17 drops Bakesy

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Not quite Grizzly, Melaleuca`s are an entirely different species to the Eucalyptus trees.
They are more a bushy Ti-tree (tea-tree) that gives off another type of oil.

I notice there are about 290 Melaleuca species, which reminds me that Australia also has so many Acacia species that the originally discovered African ones have now been relegated to a status of being the minor branch.

With this in mind and the tendency of humans to vote in outrageous leaders, I'm tempted to write to the Linnean/Linneaus societies suggesting our own species might be due for relegation. Names like Homo notsosapiens or Homo ignoramus appeal.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got 17 drops Bakesy

It passed over our house in about 5 minutes apparently. We just had two days of rain here in Dubai. More rain has fallen here since I've been here then at home! Confused Big Grin

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
It rains in Dubai?

All I have ever seen is HEAT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a major disaster but some of the crap getting around the internet to push the climate debate is a bit over the top. Some of the maps being tweeted make it look like the entire continent is up in flames- one shows red hotspots as flames all around the top coast of Australia. For those not in Australia the fires are causing massive disruption to several states, but the burned area is still only around 7% of the continent... most of my state QLD, an area half the size of Europe, is enjoying a rather mild summer. The top coastline of 3 states are getting ready for their monsoonal wet weather.

Plug Australian fires into google and look at the crazy search suggestions. "Will Australian survive" I have people on my facebook asking whether all the koalas are extinct. The powers that be should just state the facts, get the people out, the experts in, and punch anyone using it for political grandstanding squarely in the balls.

As to causes, climate change, fuel loads etc. I think the human element also has a lot to do with it. The police have charged up to 200 people with accidental fires and malicious arson in the south. One of the reasons the south gets more counts of this is it much higher population density down there, more dickheads and firebugs accessing the bushlands.

Someone really needs to have a look at this. I would not put it past the same sort of quasi-terrorists who are chaining themselves to abbetoirs protesting meat, to run around lighting fires to make a point...

Anyway, rant over. Again, not taking anything away from the real disaster occurring and hope you blokes down there are staying safe. This post was more for the non-aussies who think the whole country has already burned up in a climate changing fireball.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some clown in NZ suggested we ship the koalas over here to save the species as all their food was gone. Fuck me there are some idiots walking amongst us. Bet they are the same branch of humanity that believe a 94 winchester is a military style semi auto.
I also notice its never the "ugly" creatures that get featured as receiving sips of water from some passer by...

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Some clown in NZ suggested we ship the koalas over here to save the species as all their food was gone. Fuck me there are some idiots walking amongst us. Bet they are the same branch of humanity that believe a 94 winchester is a military style semi auto.
I also notice its never the "ugly" creatures that get featured as receiving sips of water from some passer by...

Thinking of possums, yeah, that could be a dumb idea. However, because koalas only eat a very limited range of gum leaves, they would probably not get past the first plantation.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone getting some of that rain?

Half inch at Coff's Harbor, about
that around Conder my dau said the
fires got 'dumped on'.

Did it drop enough to help much?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like some info from some Aussies on this. My wife is a big animal lover + donated to good causes + would like to donate to a reputable organization that is helping with the medical needs of the wildlife in question. Mainly, who is a good organization + who is not? I know that here in America I will donate to The Salvation Army but won't give a cent to the Red Cross. We have had a hard time on the website from the International Humane Society. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated for all concerned. Thanks for your time.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry NC, I can't help with your question but would like to know what you have against the Red Cross.

So far, my inclination would have gone the other way, if only because I know the Salvation Army would close all the pubs if they had their druthers and have allowed a number of paedophiles to abuse children in their orphanages.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambar, the S.A. really helps people; the Red Cross is a money-making organization. I know from personal experience that you won't see them at a disaster unless there is a camera crew around. The money donated to them goes into their coffers for the "next emergency" not the one you donated for. I have my own experiences with them but they have been reinforced by my stepdaughter an M.D. who is also a 'Doctors W/O Borders' volunteer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I don't know anything about the S.A. sexual allegations but as for the pub closings, considering the lions share of their work is trying to care for homeless drunks I can see where they might incorporate that Volstead attitude. (not that I agree by any means)

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that NC, I'll make inquiries about the Red Cross's activities here.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
It rains in Dubai?

All I have ever seen is HEAT!

Yes mate. They've been cloud seeding. Bloody works if you go by the amount of rain here. Some parts of the city have flooded.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
but its still hot ha ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fellow from Boombee said over
night sunday he had 7" of rain
in his gauge. No fires in the
area though.

At least it's starting to break
loose some places.

Hope the general monsoon's cut
loose soon and quench those fires.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
but its still hot ha ha

I thought that as well. Got down to 6 the other morning. I've had to buy bloody jumpers and tracky pants. I've been having a crack at Saeed about it!

Don't want to be here in summer however Eeker Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
bloody jumpers and tracky pants.

Easy to find them in Dubai?

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
LOL yes.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Sambar, the S.A. really helps people; the Red Cross is a money-making organization. I know from personal experience that you won't see them at a disaster unless there is a camera crew around. The money donated to them goes into their coffers for the "next emergency" not the one you donated for. I have my own experiences with them but they have been reinforced by my stepdaughter an M.D. who is also a 'Doctors W/O Borders' volunteer.

https://www.2gb.com/only-a-thi...nXkNFzwRAxz6HJDYcpco

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I heard fire choppers this arvo,went outside to get a bearing as I thought that they were close and "busy" .
Got onto Incidents Vic and saw that as suspected a fire was going over the ridge. They got onto it very quickly and I dont think there will be any drama.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my 1st indoctrination in this attitude was when a buddy's dad who had been on Omaha Beach on D Day told the story that after everything kinda calmed down on the beach the red cross had their kiosks set up + said, "coffee + doughnuts, only a quarter." I started to take notice after that.