New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want/need a new gun.
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Gents I'm looking at a new factory rifle. The Mauser M18 is at a good price. Anyone know much about them?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother bought one a few months back. In .243.

It shoots well, but most rifles do these days. Just my view but its a completely fine rifle that wont knock your socks off. Its more a rifle to be used as a tool.
As such I think choose a rifle that suits your purpose because all the rifles in that price range will do the same job. Sauer 100 is essentially the same rifle I understand, But Tikka T3, Howa 1500, Ruger will all do the same at similar price.

What caliber and what use are you thinking?

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks probably sums it up.
Only thing I would add is any online review / comment I've seen is pretty positive. Most seem to say it's good value for the cost. I believe on this model a barrel change is possible if you eventually want to go that route.
Good luck. And, please do say what caliber and use you are thinking.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to mike today, he reckons its incredibly accurate. The only thing that lets it down is the stock which is quite flexible.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I'm actually thinking 30-06 mate. Sambar legal.

All online review are all positive. I'm looking at the Sauer and Howa as well. What I end up getting will depend of the size of my tax refund Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote