Find
Notify
Tools

Spotlighting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted
Don't know how many of you guys out there in Oz and NZ who are still using the Lightforce spot lights and finding as I have, that the yellow colour of the light produced by standard QH 100w bulb is not up to the brilliant white LED lighting we are now used to with our headlamps and other spotlights?

I've got back into spotlighting for deer in the last couple of years and found while my old Lightforce had good range compared to many of the newer LED lights out there, the light was yellow and of course the 100w draw of the bulb flattens the standard 12V 7-9AH battery pretty quick. Tried a new Lightforce 100w bulb but no improvement to beam quality.

Got thinking about alternative bulbs for the Lightforce but no other variations of the twin prong projector type halogen bulbs used in the Lightforce spotlights available other than choice of horizontal or vertical filament and 75w bulbs.

Screwed the reflector housing off mine and found I could easily convert the bulb holder to accommodate a standard H3 car headlight bulb which of course opens up the field to the range of blue white light bulbs 55w to 100w. Real transformation with a blue 55w bulb putting out brilliant white light and the battery lasting twice as long. Beauty of the Lightforce is it can be focused from flood to spot so adjusts easily to suit the different style of bulb.

The Lightforce spots are a good robust, light to carry or mount unit, my conversion just upgrades them to an even better unit.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Beware of heresy, eagle Wink

I say this because IIRC Lightforce is made/sold by Nightforce and it is unforgiveable to say anything against their scopes stir

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats sooo last century. Thermal is where its at now. Just as young people now no longer need to learn the skill of knowing where they are. Thermal makes it possible to hunt without the skill of knowing how to find animals.
The number of younger hunters who look at me like Im being totally unreasonable when I tell them they can't use thermal on my place is incredible. Even had one explain to me that I grew up in a time when there were heaps of animals, and now its much harder. The late 80s and early 90's, when the average was 7 days hunting for a single animal...

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even had one explain to me that I grew up in a time when there were heaps of animals, and now its much harder. The late 80s and early 90's, when the average was 7 days hunting for a single animal...

Almost fell out of my seat laughing at that one ! Guys who are young enough now have no idea of the years of game scarcity, particularly in the South Island. Thank goodness that's changed for the better with relative abundance these days.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Spotlights here/are were used by those that couldn't find one in the daylight but now its thermal thermal thermal..spotters and scopes.

Pro deer cullers here use nothing but thermals and as explained to me by a local cocky..."with a light I would get one deer out of five,with the thermal I get the five"
The hunt stalk factor has long gone with those that use the modern tech.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002