New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last month of hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ive got out a few times over the last month of a hunt or so.

Thought Id share a couple of pics.

Towards the end of april the Fallow Bucks started to croak. I had a spot in mind that was quite remote, and required a 430ish start in the mornings to get too by daylight. All bush this block and a bit different too ordinary fallow hunting.
Anyway the first exploratory hunt and I was making my way up a spur too a ridgeline when I came across an area of activity and scrapes.I continued cautiously until I reached the ridge, where a damn breeze change caught my back and immediately I heard deer start to run, but could not pick them in the gloom. I was standing there, facing too the right, wondering what to do, when out of the corner of my left eye I caught movement. Then again. I focussed and realised that through a gap int he trees, I could pick a large antler moving about as a Buck searched for me about 70 meters away. I raised the rifle but could only pick the antler and a small bit of back. After about 3 miniutes where I dared not move, the Buck was unlucky enough to raise his head a touch higher and when I picked his ear in my scope, pretty much the rifle went off of its own accord and the .223 found its mark. I was rewarded by seeing him tumble down through he trees.

A few days later I ws hunting the same rough area but about a k further on and there was a good buck going to town. My mate had a bow and I ws putting him in front as we approached. We stalked in well and finally were within 20 meters. My Mate went left of an area of heavy scrub the buck was behind, while I went right as the does were heading that way, and I found a good shooting lane and kneeled there waiting. My mate took a couple of steps and then turned to me and mouthed Fuck hes huge- shoot him! Expecting him to come out my side I got ready, but he didnt show and it turned out he had crept off directly away from both of us behind cover. We chased him for an hour or so but didnt get another chance.
next morning we were back and he gave me a quick chance at longer distance than the bow was capable of and I dropped him with the 6.5 grendel then dropped him again and finally had to give him another to make sure. A tough nugget of a Buck he was.

Finally last night I was sitting under a tree with my brother waiting for some fat little 60lber porkers to come out on some new grass, when this guys showed up. I couldn't see him from where I was initially, but My brother whispered, take the spotted one and I realised he was there, moved a bit and by that time he was 30 meters away, so put a .223 projectile through his ear again. He was a bit of a surprise as we didnt know there was a decent boar about.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely. How much did the boar weigh? Looks big.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didnt weight him, but roughly would have a live weight of 160-180lb gutted probably around 140 or so.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those bucks are beautiful! That porker is a dandy too! I know you have been plenty busy, good to see that you still have time to get out and hunt a bit!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Very nice fallow bucks! Thanks for sharing

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zeeriverrat1:
Those bucks are beautiful! That porker is a dandy too! I know you have been plenty busy, good to see that you still have time to get out and hunt a bit!

Z

Cheers Z! yep, and not sure if I showed you earlier, but considering I tried to cut my knee off with a chainsaw a few weeks prior, I actually felt pretty lucky to be getting out hunting at all. At the stage I got those Bucks, I was still hobbling quite badly, But with my last year here, I was not going to miss out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah you mentioned that mishap a while back! Looks like you were really lucky! Chainsaw cuts often don’t heal very easily..looks like yours healed very well! You could have really buggered that joint if you went a little deeper, you were really lucky! Glad you are fit enough to keep hunting!
Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you didn't become "Shankless Pony". Hope you continue to mend well.
Seen one or two close calls over the years with chainsaws. Fantastic tools that demand a great deal of respect. If they bite you it can be so quick the damage is done before you even blink. But, can say the same for many powered tool really. I have a partly buggered up thumb caused by one, and my own inattention.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Good to see you out cobber.

Need new boots on the tracta too lol wink wink

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
haha ordered some yesterday. Amazing how the war in Ukraine effects things. the main supplier sourced Ukrainian made tires. Cant get them now.
Have had to find some chinese made ones for now.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Big diff in price too,I did a front sidewall at the old place around 12 years ago..new Aussie tyre $1500...CH new tyre $700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep they are not cheap. The chinese ones cost us 1700 each. But then I just had to get some new hunting boots too, and they were close to 700.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
FFS $700 for boots? Like wtf are they? I hope they are not the Skellerups in your pic ha ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crispi. I haven't bought boots in 10 years, and finally kathrin and I did a tramp over easter and My old boots had me hobbling for the last 5 k. For some reason I have no problems with gumboots, which is why I wear them so much, but I have to have a really well fit set of boots or I will end up suffering really badly. Arch pain, loosing toenails, achilles pain. So I dont mind paying for a set that I know are right.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
understand ,but that price! I dont mind this model with the tuckaway crampon.

https://crispi.co.nz/product/super-granite-gtx/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah at another 160 od bucks I can do without the crampon.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Yeah at another 160 od bucks I can do without the crampon.
I did find them for half the price cobber

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I need to try them on, I don't buy boots online. So I might well pay more. But I want to get it right. Not dick around and then find they dont fit and send them back etc.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
yep,understood mate.