THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Hunt with Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt with Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris
Owner and Guide: Edward (Eddie) Clark
Dates July 9-15
Hunters: Blake Olson and Dan Appel
Rifles: CZ550 in 375 H&H with 270 gr. Barnes TSX, Merkel 470 Nitro Express
Other services: Travel With Guns

Flying from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to Darwin, Australia, requires a marathon of four flights
which can be brutally both physically and mentally. But, when we hit the ground in Darwin, I was ready to explore the city and birdwatch during the afternoon. We walked from our hotel to the George Brown Darwin Botanical Gardens and wondered how we were going to hunt in the heat and humidity of the day.
The next morning, Eddie arrived early and we made the long drive to his hunting camp deep in the Arnhem Land. His camp was very isolated as it required more than two hours of traveling on a two track road. The camp was rustic and composed of large tents, a cook shack, an eating area and bathroom with flushing toilet and shower. It was exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Hunting day 1
The next morning I was awake long before light. In fact, during the entire hunt I never once heard my alarm go off as I was always up and ready to go long before the sun kissed the eastern horizon.
We headed north from camp following a rough trail through the rolling scrub covered hills. Occasionally we would cross steam beds that were devoid of water. However, we learned in a hurry that these rivers still contained hidden pools of water which the water buffalo required.

Just a short drive farther north, Dan, who was looking to the east, excitingly said, “There you go Blake. There are your donkeys.” Donkeys are expanding in the Arnhem Land and compete with the game animals. They can also be destructive to the environment.
Spinning my head that direction I could see a herd of the animals as they appeared as outlines against the rising sun. They were looking nervously our way. Eddie muttered something about shooting every one of the f-ing things as I bailed out of the truck and bolted a big cartridge into the chamber of the CZ 550.
I clearly remember Eddie saying, “Don’t take too long as they don’t stand around very long.”
Taking five small steps forward, I grabbed a tree for a rest and frantically searched for a broadside animal as they stood alert no more than 90 yards away.
My best option was a donkey facing me full on. Cranking the scope up to four power, I settle the crosshairs on the donkey’s chest and sent a 270 grain Barnes TSX on its way. A loud “thump” floated back to my ears as the animal did a nose down forward pitch to the ground.

By this time, Eddie and Dan were alongside me as Eddie shouted, “Keep shooting.”
Finding a now broadside animal, I fired for the second time. The animal lurched forward with a broken shoulder indicating a perfect hit. It lurched to the north as a “plop” reached our ears.

The rest of the herd which was probably five animals was now on the run to the southeast as Eddie took off running with me right behind him.
Slamming to a stop, a donkey was standing to our northeast facing us. My third shot at 100 yards dropped the animal without a quiver.
Running again, we followed the herd into the scrub as they were now in full flight. At the base of a rounded hill, one stopped broadside just long enough for me to send my fourth shot down range. The animal stumbled and tipped over on its side.

I almost had one more shot, but the animal crested the hill just in time to escape. We could hear their braying gradually fade into the forest.
Turning to Eddie, I reached out my hand and thanked him for the fun. Pictures of the last donkey took a few minutes as we began to try and process what exactly had happened through all the confusion and fog of the hunt. It became even more perplexing as we could only find two other donkeys on the ground for a total of three. We were very confident that all four had been hit. But as much as we searched, we could not find that fourth animal. Pictures of course followed.
As we continued down the road, we think we solved the donkey mystery. The third animal was actually the same donkey as the second shot had hit. After calculating our run into the equation, it was possible and even probable that it had stopped with the broken shoulder and happened to be facing us.
Traveling thirty more minutes and spotting numerous buffalo, Eddie pulled off the road and stated, “We will walk from here.”, as we had just crossed a small stream and he wanted to follow the watercourse.
At first, we inched through the burned area just to the north of the little stream. Quietly moving towards the water, the vegetation became thick and green. And if on cue, Eddie spotted a young bull buffalo feeding a hundred yards to the northeast.
Leaving the bull and stalking along, we passed a thick group of palms when all hell broke loose. Just six feet from Dan and behind us, an animal was exploding out of the vegetation. I was sure it was a buffalo, but when the black flat nose followed by the head became visible, I knew immediately it was a pig and a big one.
I frantically asked Eddie if I could shoot it as we, after all, were buffalo hunting and I did not want to mess that up. As soon as he shouted “yes”, I cranked a cartridge into the chamber, ran up a little bench and threw the rifle to my shoulder.
By this time the pig was hitting about Mach 2 and was exiting quickly. At thirty yards I clearly remember the crosshairs catch up to the shoulder as I pulled the trigger. The pig stumbled hard but kept on its feet. Racking the bolt, the second shot on the running animal stopped it. On the third shot, I only had the neck at the now stationary hog, but it hit true and ended the adventure.
Walking up to the pig I could see that it was a large boar with a mud caked black skin and sharp tusks. For my first pig ever, it was an outstanding specimen

We saw buffalo throughout the day, but none of trophy or management size.
That evening we stalked along the river that was adjacent to camp.
Stalking was very difficult as the ground had so much dry vegetation. Thirty minutes of slow stalking came to a halt when Eddie spotted a herd in a fairly open meadow. There was a good bull in the group, but it was decided the bull wasn’t quite up to trophy standards. Eventually they spotted us and ran north into the dense trees.
Entering back into the heavy cover, we continued east as the sun began to drop near the horizon. Even though this was only our first day of hunting with Eddie, I could read his body language as he tensed up. Hunching up, he began to creep forward. Following his gaze, I could see an animal standing broadside at perhaps one hundred yards. It was staring at something to the north and had no idea we were in the neighborhood.
Raising my Vortex binoculars, I could make out that it was a scrub bull.
Eddie immediately began to get very excited and whispered, “It is a monster! Do you want to shoot it?”
It was very evident that his blood pressure was skyrocketing after looking the big bull over. He later told us that they had been after this specific bull for weeks. It had become a ghost.
I certainly would have loved to shoot it, but the price was just too high.
Turning to Eddie, I said, “I would love to take it. But I can’t afford it.”
We noticed the bull was fixed on a buffalo cow with a white calf. It still had no idea we were there.
I could tell Eddie really, really wanted to take this scrub bull as the gears in his mind began to whirl.
He leaned over and said something, but between his soft tones and accent, I could not understand what he was saying. I asked him to repeat it twice before I understood. He was willing to exchange the five cows in my package for the big red bull as he was adamant about killing the animal.
I whispered, “I can still shoot more cows at $150?”
“Yes,” he urgently replied.
“Deal,” I whispered back as I took a step to the right as Eddie extended the shooting sticks.
Placing the rifle into the V of the sticks, I had to adjust the height by spreading the legs slightly.
Finding the bull in the scope, I placed my finger into the trigger guard as I watched in disbelief as the bull spun and ran deeper into the cover. He never had any idea we were there. Why the cow and calf scared him is a mystery.
Aaaaaarrrrhhhhhh! Frustration flooded my mind. Eddie, too, was very disappointed. He kept talking about how massive this bull was. In fact, he implied it was one of the biggest bulls he had ever seen. But, I guess it was not meant to be.

Day 2
5:00 PM We are back at camp after an incredible day. By 7:30 AM we were heading north on the same road where the donkeys and pig were shot. Eddie told us we were in for a long rough ride and he was not exaggerating as we bounced around--enough where a chiropractor may be needed.
Two hours later, we crossed a small river which was almost dry. Eddie pulled over saying we had arrived. During the drive, we had seen forty six buffalo and one scrub bull, but none were shooters.
The sun, as always, was hot as we grabbed water to carry along. The plan was to parallel the river, slowly still hunting as we went. The sandy soil made very quiet stalking and the slight breeze was brushing our faces.
For twenty minutes we sneaked along as it was late enough in the morning where the buffalo would be heading to water or already be bedded along the river’s cool shade.
Again, I noticed the change in Eddie’s body posture as he noticed something through the trees to the west and away from the river. He raised his Zeiss binoculars, dropped them down and began a slow stalk towards whatever he had seen.
Reaching a fairly thick cluster of small trees, I finally spotted a cow feeding placidly on the grass, deep within the confines of the trees. Confusion reigned as our guide would certainly not be stalking a lone cow.
I whispered, “Cow?”
Eddie responded, “The bull is to the left.”
Stepping slightly to his right, I finally spotted the black bull feeding our way as bits and pieces of it were visible through the trees. For ten minutes we watched it slowly closed the distance. I could tell it was a nice bull buffalo, but neither Dan nor I really know what Eddie is looking for.
Turning to me, he calmly stated, “Management bull.”
My adrenalin skyrocketed like a Saturn V rocket lifting off for the moon knowing this could be my bull.
“Are we going to shoot it?” I asked
“Yes.” Was the simple reply
There was a definite spike in the excitement as a result of the simple word “yes”.
Reaching into my pocket, I grabbed the cartridge I had labeled “bull” when I had loaded the cartridges last summer and quietly slipped it into the chamber of the CZ 550. Closing the bolt, I moved towards Eddie who was carefully placing the shooting sticks into the sandy soil. Putting the rifle onto the sticks, I positioned my feet trying to find the steadiest position as the bull was a solid one hundred yards away and in relatively thick cover. We were in no hurry as the bull had no idea we were on the same continent.
Cranking the Leupold scope to its maximum power of eight, the bull seemed large through the optics but was covered by the small trees. Slowly the bull turned sideways.
“Take the safety off and shoot him when you are ready.”
“There is a tree in the way,” I responded as our angles different.
“He will step forward,” stated my guide.
It took thirty long seconds for that to happen which at the time seemed like an eternity.
Finally, I saw its right foot step forward giving me the shot.
Placing the fine crosshairs on its shoulder, I squeezed the trigger sending the 270 grain Barnes bullet on its one hundred yard flight. A loud thump floated back to us as the bull lurched forward with an obvious broken shoulder. The shot had been perfect. However, these are big and powerful animals. So as it spun in a little circle, I bolted another round into the chamber and fired. The second shot dropped the bull in its tracks.
Handshakes and smiles erupted as I noticed my rapidly shaking hands. It has been a while since I have shook that much. This bull had gotten to me. After all, this was the moment that I had traveled so far to experience.

Moving on, we had covered three hundred yards and were slipping through some trees in the river’s bottom. Reaching a bend in the watercourse, Dan hissed as he had noticed the rump of a buffalo cow and calf facing away from us at about eighty yards.
For five minutes we watched the cow and calf standing like statues in a museum never moving in the hot heat of the day.
Eddie turned to Dan and said, “Get on the sticks.”
What he was planning to do was bellow like a buffalo. But, since he had not communicated the plan with Dan, he was confused. I was even more befuddled as I had not heard the conversation and was wondering why Dan was going to the sticks.
Unexpectedly, Eddie then let go with a nasal cow bellow which the live buffalo cow ignored. A second louder bellow caused the cow to turn towards us which was then followed by total chaos.
Eddie became very excited and tense. Dan and I were still in a state of bewilderment as we were staring at the cow.
Although I did not hear it, Eddie said, “There’s the bull.”
But I saw Dan’s instant reaction as he spun the big Merkel double to the left. This was enough information for me, as I took a step to the right and saw the reason for the excitement. There standing at the top of the bend in the river was a monster bull staring down at us from no more than forty yards.
Then it got interesting as bedlam reared its ugly head.
“Is it a decent one?” Dan wondered out loud.
I am going nuts as I know it is by far the largest buffalo bull we have seen. And I was sure the bull would soon see the three human sticks down in the river bottom.
“Drill it in the chest!” Was Eddie’s directions.
I am rambling like an idiot saying, “Take it! Take it! Take it!”
“Are you sure it is a good one?” Dan asked.
I’m still ranting my repetitious “Take it, take it, take it, take it….”
Eddie’s voice raised an octave spitting out, “Yes! It’s a good one.”
Continuing with my “take it, take it, take it…” repertoire, I am fumbling with my camera hoping to get the shot recorded as I glanced down at the Canon camera and punched the red record button.
Just as the camera focused on the bull, Dan had FINALLY heard enough and fired his first shot taking the bull directly into the chest. The buffalo lurched forward and hopped two steps throwing dust and sand into the air blurring the sky. Eddie told Dan to fire again as a second five hundred grain bullet hit the bull which was now broadside. But a 2000 pound buffalo bull is a tough animal as it reluctantly fell to the ground still not done.
Eddie and Dan repositioned for a third shot slipping a few feet to the right as I did my best to keep the camera recording. Dan put his third shot into the downed animal thumping it hard. But, as we slowly walked up to the behemoth, Eddie request a fourth and final shot for safety reasons. It was finally over and Dan had his trophy. Through all the excitement, I recorded it all.
The bull was a monster in both horn and body size. Also, the horns were the shape and configuration that Dan was most interested in as they flared out widely from the body.

Day 3
Heading back to the main road, Eddie spotted a herd of cows in front of us. I had reminded him that even if a miracle occurred and we found the giant red scrub bull again, I still wanted to shoot some cows. The odds of locating that one specific scrub bull that had slipped away from us were astronomical as illustrated by our morning walk. This country is just so huge. It would be like the proverbial needle in the haystack.
I mentioned before how different buffalo are in their behavior regarding vehicles and seeing people on foot. I prefer to stalk, but my package includes five cows if we did not find that lone scrub bull. The animals were looking at us unconcerned as Eddie told me said I should shoot the one to the left. Sneaking out the door, I handed Dan the camera to record the event.
Walking up to the nearest tree, I used it as a rest and placed the 375 against the rough bark. I peered through the rifle’s scope and noticed that the cow’s nose was blocking the frontal shot. Cranking the scope to eight power, I waited for it to lift its head. It quickly obliged as I sent the bullet into the center of its chest. The cow’s head reared back as the she crumpled to the ground.

Driving back to camp, I almost flew into the dash as Eddie slammed on the brakes and very excitedly blurted out, “F-ing big scrub bull.”
Two hundred yards in front of us was a giant red scrub bull. This was undeniably the most adrenalin I had observed in our guide. Eddie was sure this was the same monster scrub bull we had been looking for as we were just a short distance from camp and less than a half mile from where it had escaped from us.
“What can we do? What can we do?” Eddie kept repeating more to himself then to either Dan or me.
There was no way we could stalk the bull from our current location as the instant we stepped from the vehicle, the bull would see us and disappear forever. Eddie made a good decision as he backed the Land Cruiser slowly and quietly around a curve and below a small hill where we no longer were visible.
Almost in a panic, Eddie and I jumped out as I grabbed my cartridge case leaving everything else behind. Dan decided to stay behind as he understood that this stalk was going to be nearly impossible.
Swinging into the bush, my total focus was where to place my feet as it was deathly quiet. And to compound the situation, darkness was quickly stealing our daylight.
Dropping into a very small cut, we angled at forty-five degrees to the bull. Twice Eddie sneaked up to the edge of the cut to check the location of the moving bull.
Again we entered a little wash that was filled with thigh high grass, Eddie broke into a quiet run just as I thought we needed to move faster to cut the bull off. Eventually, we ran out of the slight depression and were forced to slow to almost a crawl.
Pieces of the red bull were visible as it moved slowly through some small trees in a low spot between two hills. This gave us a small opportunity to close the range. The bull had been quartering towards us when unexpectedly a different scrub bull began to call to the north of the bull we were stalking. Our bull called back with the deep booming nasal call of the animals. The two bulls called back and forth which helped us keep track of the animal when we could not see it.
But, the calls also changed the bull’s course and he began to quarter away increasing the distance with each step he took.
Moving very slowly forward, we ran into a double track road which greatly assisted by making our approach silent as we closed to one hundred and fifty yards.
Eddie slowly set up the sticks as I moved into position as darkness was closing in quickly.
“Can you see the shoulder?” Eddie asked.
The bull was still down in the little cut and it was composed of just pieces of red almost like a jigsaw puzzle that was missing a few pieces. Peering through the Leupold scope at full magnification I replied, “Yes, but there is too much brush in front of it.”
The bull took another step as Eddie again asked if I could see the shoulder.
“There is less, but the shoulder is not clear.” I whispered back.
My directions were clear as he urgently stated, “Shoot the f-er!”
Not waiting a second, I pulled the trigger sending 4000 foot pounds of energy on its way. The bull reacted by running forward with no sound of a bullet striking and no reaction to the shot. Cranking the bolt the animal stopped broadside giving me a second shot. Again, it showed no sign of being hit and no sound of a bullet hitting floated back to our ears. It was almost as if I was using a Daisy BB gun against an elephant.
The bull again ran hard as I swung the rifle and tried to track the galloping bull in the low light conditions. Firing my third shot seemed to have no effect, but as I worked the bolt and slid a new cartridge into the chamber, the beast stopped at about a hundred yards. Only the top of the neck and head were visible.
“I can only see the neck.”
“Shoot it in the neck!” Eddie responded.
The results of my fourth shot were instantaneous as the bull crumpled to the hard ground not even kicking or quivering.
We were two very excited hunters as we had pulled off an exceptionally stalk. Eddie had made very good decisions as we closed on the bull. When I thought we should move, we moved. When I thought we should slow, we slowed. It was almost as if we were communicating without words.
Walking up to the bull Eddie looked at it and said, “S--t! It’s a f-ing screamer.”
The bull’s huge size seemed to grow the more we looked at it. These animals are so big and powerfully built. They are a hulking mass of muscle and bone. Its color was a deep chestnut red with darker stripes that ran vertically on its hide. It horns were thick and massive almost as thick as a pop can. Eddie commented that this was the heaviest horned bull he had ever taken.

Day 4
Driving back from the morning hunt, Eddie spotted a very young bull that was strangely feeding alone and not in a herd. We had spotted this animal earlier in the morning feeding in the same location. After looking it over, Eddie asked me to shoot it as the bull looked gaunt, thin and not healthy. After a short stalk and two shots, the little bull was down.

Eddie also stopped and showed us Aboriginal painting on sandstone overhangs. I was very interested in seeing these remnants of people that date back 40, 000 years

That afternoon we headed north. Stopping the Land Cruiser we began our next slow stalk with Eddie in the lead. I was in the second spot as any shooting would probably be done by me. The slight wind helped muffle our steps as we paralleled a beautiful little dried stream bed which lived in a wide grassy flat valley. It was flanked by thick forest on both sides.
Covering a mile or so I made out the gray rump of a buffalo in front and slightly to the right of us. Snapping my fingers to get Eddie’s attention, he turned and glanced where I was looking spotting the buffalo instantly.
After a quick glance through his binoculars, he made a “squeeze the trigger motion” with his right pointer finger. We were about to stalk another buffalo and my blood pressure jumped. Slowly and quietly I bolted a round into the CZ. Handing the camera to Dan, I made sure it was on as he understood that I would like him to record it.
We closed from one hundred yards to sixty as Eddie stopped and raised the sticks. I stepped forward and mounted the rifle as we had done so many times in the past four days. Turning to Dan, I could see he was recording.
Placing my cheek against the warm wood of the walnut stock, I placed the crosshairs on the shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger.
The animal’s reaction was immediate as it sprinted forward three steps, turned, and ran directly at us. The buffalo was running quartering at us when my second shot smacked it causing it to stagger and turn sideways kicking its front right leg forward. I could see red flowing directly behind it shoulder. The third shot instantly put it down onto the sand. Dan recorded the whole incident, and it is a great little video.
After pictures, Eddie noticed two bullets under the skin and recovered both. They were perfect looking like two little bananas made of pure copper.

Day 5
We headed north as usual. Eddie pulled off the main road and into an area he called “The Buffalo Pasture”. We saw numerous animals throughout the greening burn areas.
Arriving, we exited and began our walk. I noticed a flock of crows fly up off a carcass. To the left, three dingos stopped momentarily before running into the bush.
We followed a dried stream before exiting onto one of the large relatively flat open plains. This particular one ran north to south and was a couple hundred yards wide. Very quickly Eddie picked up a buffalo hundreds of yards to our north. Closing slowly and carefully, it became clear it was a cow as we moved directly west of it allowing our scent to blow away from it.
Eddie looked through his binoculars and decided to pass on the cow which was very disappointing to me as she had long, gracefully curling horns. In fact, she probably had the longest horns of any cow we had seen over the five days of hunting.
Trying to change his mind I said, “Whatever you decide. But remember I do want another cow.”
Looking again through his binoculars, he dropped them, looked at me and said, “But she is a barren cow so let’s give her a go.”
Loading the rifle and handing Dan the camera, we began to slither forward using the few trees as cover, carefully moving when her head was down and stopping when her head was up. At around sixty yards, I put the rifle on the sticks and looked through the scope seeing far too much brush over her shoulder.
There was a cow and a calf to her north and she seemed to be feeding towards them and a small opening. Two minutes later, she hit the opening and the rifle roared. She lunged forward with a broken shoulder. A second shot through the lungs followed as she hesitated momentarily before hobbling into some thick cover. We could see her legs and within ten seconds she was down. Dan got it all on video.
Walking up to the old cow we were amazed at the length of her horns. She was a good animal to take as she was old and without calf. By looking at her thin hips, I really think she was past breeding age. Dan opened her mouth and said that all the front teeth were gone. This would be our final animal.

The next day we made the long drive out of the bush and back to Darwin. We spent two days doing various activities in the Darwin area before our marathon of flights home. In fact, from the time we walked into Darwin’s airport and the time I arrived homes, forty two hours had eclipsed. And, our July 18th, we think, was around 40 hours long and included two nights.
The water buffalo are interesting animals to hunt. They have no fear of vehicles and will let you drive right past them with no fear or anxiety. Yet, these same animals will thunder away if a single human odor molecule reaches their flaring nostrils. They are also very sensitive to noise as we spooked one large herd by crunching too many leaves. And, they are tough.
The donkey experience was interesting as most of us do not consider donkeys as game animals. But they are expanding their range (according to our guide) and are considered almost varmint like by the local people as the donkeys compete with other species.
Eddie had told us that there are few hogs in his large million acre concession. He was right as the pig I shot was the only one we saw. There simply is not enough water in the rolling rocky hills for a large number of pigs.
Scrub bulls were animals that I really never seriously considered hunting until we had the run in with the big red bull I shot. In hindsight, I think they may be the most underrated animal to hunt on the planet. They are extremely turned on and spooky. The Aboriginals hunt them with a vengeance, so they have no tolerance for vehicles or people. They are big, potentially dangerous, and very challenging to hunt. What more can you ask for in a game animal?
This hunt exceeded our expectations in hunt quality and cultural aspects as it was pure fun. Eddie did a great job customizing the hunt to meet our goals. We had explained to him that we wanted to walk and he was excited to do so. I would highly recommend this hunt.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
And that sort of stuff will have people booking aplenty!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like fun. In ten days I will be headed "down under". The hog was a bonus, I hope to get to hunt them also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
That sounds like fun. In ten days I will be headed "down under". The hog was a bonus, I hope to get to hunt them also.

Bama15. If you have any questions about anything from the rifle importation to things to do in Darwin, please PM me.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Great report! Thanks for sharing, must save pennies and nickles until I can go myself.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and great pic's tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eddie Clarke is a terrific young fella with a lot of enthusiasm and love for his hunting.

A very straight shooter who stands behind what he promotes.

Glad, but not surprised, to see him producing the goods and glad you had a memorable experience with him.

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for the great report.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
Eddie Clarke is a terrific young fella with a lot of enthusiasm and love for his hunting.

A very straight shooter who stands behind what he promotes.

Glad, but not surprised, to see him producing the goods and glad you had a memorable experience with him.

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for the great report.

Thanks, Paul. Eddie did a terrific job for us as I stated in my report. He is not afraid to get out and work for the animals. When we explained to him that we did not want to hunt from the vehicles any more then we had to, his comment was "Good, that is the right way to hunt. It has been a while since I had hunters ask to walk. We can go to some places I haven't been to for a while."

One of those places was the spot where Dan and I both shot our bulls. Funny how that works out.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great report, thank you for sharing it, If I had the funds I would be up there in a flash.

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, with some very nice animals! Congrats.

Posts: 70 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 19 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SDSpink:
When we explained to him that we did not want to hunt from the vehicles any more then we had to, his comment was "Good, that is the right way to hunt. It has been a while since I had hunters ask to walk. We can go to some places I haven't been to for a while."

That's exactly what he said when we told him we wanted to walk more than drive. Too funny!

Looks like you had a great trip! Congrats.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddsix:
When we explained to him that we did not want to hunt from the vehicles any more then we had to, his comment was "Good, that is the right way to hunt. It has been a while since I had hunters ask to walk. We can go to some places I haven't been to for a while."

That's exactly what he said when we told him we wanted to walk more than drive. Too funny!

A representative animal taken after a (sometimes long) stalk is far more honorable than a record book trophy shot from a vehicle.

Congratulations for a wonderful experience and thanks for posting it here.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddsix:

Well, it looks like Eddie is consistent. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you had a good hunt. Long time down the road but I will be heading there next August to hunt with him for the buffalo and rusa deer. Imagine he will be in Vegas again?

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great time and a good hunt. You certainly scored some good game, well done on the hunting not driving.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My "trophy" plaque.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
The Taswegians will be upset again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:

Sorry, Tasmania, it is a little hard to add you....

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Draw it on the pic ha ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Enjoyed the report and thanks for sharing.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

SDSpink, Looks like you had a very successful hunt! I hope it was as enjoyable for you, as your report shows!!!

The Taswegians will get over it......eventually.

Regards
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HomerOz:

The Taswegians will get over it......eventually.

I blame it on the modern trend of shaving and waxing excessivley down under there nowadays .... hilbily

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
My "trophy" plaque.

Cool.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt and you did a great job on the narrative. I would love to go.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ahem,

Don't you mean Van Demonians?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I dont think they got the double entendre there John, perhaps the jokes about maps of Tasmania havent reached beyond Aussie shores ;-)

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My little Australian daughters ask me about Australia everyday. It is sad they were so young when we lived there. Our first American born child turned 1 a few days ago. The oldest turns 5 next month. My how time flies.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW:

Shucks man, my lil dau turns 52 next month!
Just stick around awhile and it'll happen to you too!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:

Jackie Lambie will be demanding $5,000,000 in compensation.

She may also want to see if he has a large package Wink

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I dont think they got the double entendre there John, perhaps the jokes about maps of Tasmania havent reached beyond Aussie shores ;-)

Yes I think the pubic nature of the map of Tasmania was completely missed. rotflmo

John H.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Its not the sort of site to show a comparo of both MAPS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Cool SDS,

I remember the first time I heard the tasmanian reference.... It was from an aussie at the Copland hotpools... great trip.

Posts: 4211 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt with lots of action. Nice Pics!

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
That was terrific.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
That was terrific.

Thank you very much. It is such a different experience from Africa. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
You certainly keep yourself busy Blake, a credit to you my friend!

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sure makes a fella dream ...

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote